California--San Francisco and Sonoma for 4 50-somethings

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK--2 Couples, in their 50's want to do a 4-5 day trip to SF and wine country. Sometime this July. I have lots of questions:

1. i have discerned from reading the forum that Sonoma would not be a bad choice. Our friends have heard good things about the Fairmont but i also like El Pueblo Inn. i would love to stay in healdsburg but hubbie likes the hotel king size bed and the B&B's don't necessarily offer that, and the healdsburg Inn is a bit pricier that the two I selected.

2. i would love to do at least one adventure tour--biking or kayaking. i like the bike tour idea--does anyone know about wine country bikes vs. getaway adventures? Any feed back on wither one?

3. Would you recommend that the second day of wine touring be done in a car or also on a bike. We are all very active and that is not a concern, but should we branch out more in a car?

4. I have read Stu's recommendations on SanFran, but I really want to know a nice place to stay. Will I go wrong at any of the known high-end hotels? is there one better situated than the others? The Fairmont in giardelli Square? The intercontinental? The Orchard (which is a more intimate place)

5. Thanks for any advice you give!
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 01:21 PM

The one thing you can be certain Stu will tell you is that you shouldn't stay at Ghirardelli Square (there's a Fairmont there?) because Fisherman's Wharf is not an ideal location for adults to stay -- the Embarcadero area, Union Square or even Nob Hill (not my personal favorite, but loads of people like it) would be better locations.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 02:03 PM
SAB

sf-it's the Fairmont Heritage Place that has been installed in Ghirardelli as a private residence club-- formerly known as timeshares--1 bedroom vacation rentals are something like $500 a night. Awfully upscale for the Wharf in my opinion. As you know I somewhat share Stu's opinion of the Wharf, with a caveat that it works for people with kids.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 02:09 PM
SAB

Oops sorry OP --did not give a recommendation. Mine would be the Embarcadero and the Vitale Hotel. Good location overlooking the Embarcadero and the Bay, access to the Ferry Building and lots of transit, but not a frantic tourist area.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

thanks--i am staying tuned for anyone to chime in!
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 02:29 PM

Well, I'll chime in again to say I completely agree with SAB (I happen to work a block away, and it's just a really nice place to be). There are other hotels in the neighborhood, that would be good choices, too -- Hyatt Regency and Harbor Court.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 03:10 PM

If the Fairmont in Sonoma is the same place as the Sonoma Mission Inn - the Inn is fine if you plan to spend most of your time in the region enjoying the facilities that the Inn has to offer. If, however, you plan to bike, hike, and explore the countryside, wineries, coast, vineyards - then I think it is not such a great choice - compared to other options. The Inn is not within walking distance of the square in Sonoma or other good restaurants in Sonoma (except for the restaurant at the Inn - which I thought was only OK). Boyes Hot Spring (where the Inn is really located) is quite ruddy - perhaps scary at times.

Personally, I think Healdsburg is more interesting than the town of Sonoma, has better restaurants (Cyrus is the best place we've dined in the Bay Area in the last 10 years), and the area around Healdsburg is much more scenic than the area around Sonoma. Very scenic access to the Napa Valley via the beautiful Alexander Valley.

Stu Dudley
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 03:19 PM

We drove from Healdsburg to Occidental this past Sunday, and it is just gorgeous -- lots of wineries, too, although that's not why we were there. The town of Healdsburg is lovely.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 07:34 AM

If the Fairmont at Ghiradelli Square has views of the Golden Gate, it may be just what the OP wants.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 07:45 AM

elnap - it seems that the OP wants inexpensive accommdations. I don't think $500 per night is inexpensive. I'm not even sure they are rentable by the general public. As SAB pointed out, they are timeshares.

Stu Dudley
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:00 AM
SAB

Stu--they are available, but for around $500 a night, as I said awfully upscale for the Wharf.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

I would love to keep the price down to under $300 a night per room, but the Hotel Vitale looks nice for a little more. In Healdsburg, our problem is going to be availability since our original plan was to be there for the weekend. Perhaps I can flip SF with Wine Country and be at the latter mid-week.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 11:39 AM
SAB

Flipping SF with Sonoma would be a good idea. Summer weekends in wine country can be very busy with both tourists and weekend trippers. Unless it's July 4th weekend the City would better on the weekend.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 01:30 PM

Flip them.

Stu Dudley
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 12:34 PM

As far a bike tour companies I always recommend Getaway Adventures. We had some friends come up and they loved both the route and guides. They did a trip were you bike in the morning and kayak in the afternoon in the Alexander Valley. You get nice picnic lunch in between. Also important to me, they also rank pretty high on trip advisor, last time I checked.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

You all have given such great advice! We are booked for the Healdsburg Inn on Wed and Thursday night. i have made reservations at Barndiva's and the Farmhouse inn and have contacted Getaway Adventures for their suggestions. Stu had recommended the marina area for Hotels in his dissertation on San Fran but I haven't found one that would meet the cirteria of my husband, the princess and the pea, so we may end up in Fisherman's Wharf. there is actually a newly remodeled marriot Courtyard that's reliable. I am open for changing ANY of these things if you tell me that i am making a mistake, Right now, I am looking for must do restaurants for lunch and dinner in SF for the weekend. Thank you for everything you have offered do far!
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

by the way--SAP i love the way the Vitale looks and we just may end up blowing the big bucks and staying there! That is a great pick, and i promise to report when i get back.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 07:34 AM

The Healdsburg Inn sometimes has packages which may offer a discount from straight booking of two nights.

Personally I wouldn't bike Sonoma County. It's too spread out and mostly the roads aren't really designed for both bike and car, but this is really a personal choice. On a weekday there will be less tourist traffic, so you may have stretches of the road to yourself as bikers.

As for SF restaurants, you have a HUGE choice. Could you help narrow it all down somewhat? What type of cuisine - seafood, Italian, French? What price range? View or no?
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

OK--I will talk to the biking places about their recommendations as well. We have a couple of nights in SF and really want to know if there is an awesome must do. We are game for any cuisine and are willing to spend on atleast one really nice dinner (but do not want to dress up...) so any must-do recommendations are most welcome.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 08:25 AM

>>so any must-do recommendations are most welcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -