CALIFORNIA: PISMO OR SHELL BEACH!

Jul 14th, 1998, 08:52 PM
Zoop

CALIFORNIA: PISMO OR SHELL BEACH!

Anyone out there familiar with the Pismo/Shell Beach area of California. We have made reservations at the Edgewater Inn & Suites and at The Cliffs at Shell Beach, which one is better. We are taking our 13 year old son, and will be there for three days.

Jul 16th, 1998, 07:32 PM
Tricia

Since no one has answered you I'll take a shot at it- going on what my AAA book says.
First they gave The Cliffs, a 3 star rating, the color picture shows the pool and beach. Fantastic! Whoa! I want to go there.

Then it gives a 2 star rating to the Edgewater and the picture does not show the hotel or grounds but a couple with a child smiling!

There are a lot of nice 3 star hotels in my guidebook for Pismo Beach. Two Best Westerns and a Kon Tiki and the Sea Crest Resort Motel. All give AAA discounts. Your two give a 20% discount to AAA members. You may want to become a member if not one 1 800 AAA HELP

Jul 16th, 1998, 08:40 PM
Ken

The Sear Crestl has them both beat in my opinion. Beautiful large rooms, friendly staff, great bwach access and tidal pools near by. My wife and I go there all the time from the LA area. In fact we have booked a seven day stay at the end of August with our children. The kids absolutely love Pismo. We usually end up walking up to the peir and getting some ice cream. Great clam chowder to be had there. On Thursday evenings (about 6) San Louis Obispo blocks off the main drag and turns it into a wonderful farmer's market with great Sant Maria BBQ all over the place. Don't forget to visit the "Apple Farm" hotel and resteraunt near by. Also across the highway from the hotels in Pismo is one of the greatest steakhouses in America-called McClintocks. We like to have our breakfasts at a little country cooking place called "Scrambles". Go after August or before July. The place fogs in pretty good in July and August. Have fun.

Jul 16th, 1998, 08:46 PM
Ken

Sorry, I type-oed in misspelling Sea Crest Resort Motel. The Northcoates own and run the place and it's great. Beautiful pool setting on the clift and three spas. There is also a really nice Marie Callendar resteraunt in the front.

Jul 19th, 1998, 08:36 PM
Jay

The Sea Cliff, Kon Tiki or other hotel mentioned by Ken are good choices. Pismo and Shell Beach are basically the same town--right next to each other. San Luis Obispo is a college town twenty minutes north of Pismo--if you can possibly visit the Farmer's Market on Thursday night, it's an event not to be forgotten. Eating at McClintocks's Restaurant in Pismo is WAY overpriced but you can get their barbeque food on Thursday night in San Luis Obispo at the farmer's market--from a huge barbeque trailer and cook right on the street. With a 13 year old, don't miss the opportunity to drive your car right onto the beach in the southern end of Pismo AND to rent ATVs (all terrain vehicles) for riding on the sand dunes. Our kids absolutely love it. Want the greatest steak you'll ever eat--in a tiny town called Nipomo (just south of Pismo on the freeway) is an extremely popular restaurant called Jocko's--packed with locals. There's always a wait but the food is exceptional. Ride bikes, walk on the pier, experience a very relaxing time in a wooden hot tub on a hill at Sycamore Hot Springs in Avila Beach (10 minutes from Pismo). Enjoy.

Jul 20th, 1998, 08:43 AM
Ken

I have been to both McClintocks and Jockos many times and still believe that McClintocks wins hands down. McClintocks is listed among the premiere restraunts in America. The last several times that I ate at Jockos (several years ago I'll admit) the place was filthy and poorly managed. Now maybe there is new management there since I was last there (I hope so). But, McClintocks has a great ocean view to boot and is well managed. Also the food is great. On Farmers market (Thurs.) McClintocks does have a great BBQ tri-tip sandwich that is to die for. McClintocks is also near to all the motels along the beach.

Jul 23rd, 1998, 03:30 PM
kam

We loved Pismo Beach when we were in LA and yes, please go to the farmer's market for great Santa Maria Barbeque. Get a local to tell you the whole story of the barbeque or visit the Chamber of Commerce web site for Santa Maria! San Luis Obispo also has a pretty mission, if you'd like a bit of history too. The Cliffs at Shell Beach is exclusive but expensive, although under 13 is free. Kon Tiki Inn or Sea Crestare both great but you might also check out the Quality Suites--under 16 are free with a full breakfast and all suite rooms Enjoy!

Jul 24th, 1998, 09:29 PM
Gale Jordan

We live here in Pismo about four block up the hill from the Edgewater. It is right next to the pier, which is very nice for beach access. The Cliff's is probably more exclusive as far as accomodations and ammenities go, but beach access will involve climbing a pretty good flight or three of stairs. (Cause as the name implies, it is up on a cliff.) The Cliff's pool overlooks the ocean as does the Edgewater's.
If you like to walk around shops in the evening and check out the local restaurants, I'd go with the Edgewater. Parking is tight down there on the weekends, so if you stay at the Cliffs, you'd have to drive to Pismo.
This just all depends on what you like to do. If you are looking for more of a get-away from the crowds, I'd choose the Cliffs. If you like to be in the middle of the action, the Edgewater would be more to your liking. If you have been assigned room #'s yet, I'll go check em out for you on my morning walk and let you know what the views are like from there. Let me know if you need any other information, but better hurry, we're leaving for Tx on July 30.
Gale
[email protected]