California Laguna beach to Palm Springs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2016, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi we are flying into LAX November 15th on Tuesday at 2 p.m.we were planning to go straight to Laguna Beach for the first night but I read somewhere that the traffic would be very bad at this time of day does anyone know for sure how long it would take...it would actually be nearer 4 or 5 p.m. by the time we pick up a car rental etc.
Can anyone help us with ideas of where to travel/go. We had thought of going to Laguna Beach for the first night and then perhaps going to Palm Springs for 2 nights before coming back into Anaheim. If Laguna is too daunting that first night does anyone have any other ideas?

We have recently done Disneyland and Griffith Park etc so are looking for something a bit different to the normal touristy things to do.

We will be doing quite a road trip and are planning on coming back down from San Fran to Big Sur and then stay our final night in Santa Monica so I was trying to find somewhere different for the first leg of the trip.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 05:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>We had thought of going to Laguna Beach for the first night and then perhaps going to Palm Springs for 2 nights before coming back into Anaheim. Laguna > Across all of the LA Basin to PS > Back across the whole AL Basin to Anaheim (which is only about 30 miles from Laguna)

Curious -- if you'e already done Disney -- why Anaheim?

>>it would actually be nearer 4 or 5 p.m. by the time we pick up a car rental etc.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 06:39 AM

For the 1st night you could head to Manhattan Beach which is just south of LAX....plenty of restaurants, miles long strand to walk along the ocean. On a Tuesday in mid-November it will be relaxing and rather quiet there. You wouldn't even need a rental car just take a taxi or Uber from LAX if you wish. Next day, Avis and Hertz have offices nearby and will pick you up at your hotel.

If we knew a little more about the rest of your roadtrip, someone might advise where you could use another night or two rather than detouring off to Palm Springs. How many days have you allotted for San-Fran down to LAX?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybx3N1VKK3Y

www.theseaviewinn.com
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

LOL I love your honest feedback - I really need to get this sorted.

We have just been to Anaheim in July so trying to find something different to do but nearby. We are coming from New Zealand. Normally I wouldn't get to come home this often but truth is we got a specially good fare so I get to come for Thanksgiving first time ever so that is what this trip is based around.

My sister is meeting me in LA on Friday night so we have those 3 days to fill in doing something till she gets there and then we were going to do Knotts Berry Farm and San Diego before heading up to Merced on Tuesday ÿou see that is my dilemma".

We are meeting friends in Napa after Thanksgiving so we will be coming back down coast to LA to fly out.
I Like your idea Debbie of going to Manhattan Beach for the first night.
If anyone has any other ideas I'd be grateful to hear them. Thanks again for your help everyone.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 06:02 PM

For Wednesday and Thursday you could consider San Diego, or Laguna Beach, or Santa Barbara...all of those would be easy drives to Los Angeles on Friday as long as you leave after 10am and arrive to meet your sister by 3:30-4pm.

Or if you think you'll be jet-lagged for the first day or two, and the rest of your vacation is all road-tripping...just stay in Manhattan Beach for the 3 nights. You'll have plenty of shopping within a few miles, can do day trips to Santa Monica, or Camarillo outlets, or Newport Beach or Laguna Beach or San Juan Capistrano, or......