CALIFORNIA HOTELS HOTELS-SF AND SAN DIEGO

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have left it rather late and now have limited availability within my price-range. I would welcome any comments about the Tuscan Inn and the Holiday Inn on Fisherman's Wharf SF. I am similarly looking for views about the Hotel La Jolla and the Radisson La Jolla. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids aged 13 and 16 and are due to leave Scotland on 07/12/03
Thanks
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 05:41 PM

I do not have any input on the SF accommodations but have read good things about Radisson LaJolla. I would check out expedia.com to complete my research. After that, you may want to call direct to the specific property. Last minute specials may exist. Good luck!
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 06:39 PM

We stayed at Tuscan Inn 2 years ago - family of 4 (kids ages 10 and 14 at the time). We had a 2-room set-up they called a suite, but both rooms were very tiny and if they had left out the wall, it would have been the size of a regular US hotel room. Still, it was nice having 2 rooms.

Hotel was very nice - staff helpful, rooms and common areas attractive and very clean. Attached restaurant is very expensive for breakfast and we did not eat any other meal there. A few block walk to Fisherman's Wharf - you will find many comments here about what section of the city to stay in, and many oppose staying at Fisherman's Wharf because it is too touristy - but we were tourists, and we found the location great for our needs. One main negative was that our roo0m happened to be directly over front entrance and at times the cars pulling up were noisy in our room.

No specific knowledge of your La Jolla choices, but you should know that La Jolla, although part of San Diego and very nice, is at the northern edge of a sprawling city and can be, with traffic, a good distance from most things you would want to see.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 08:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
lesley, I live in San Diego. The Radisson is across the road from one of the main entrances to the University of California at San Diego. It is not particularly close to anything, even better restaurants would be a drive away. Its big plus from your point of view may be its easy access to Interstate 5, which will get you to everywhere you will want to go.

The Hotel La Jolla is in La Jolla, but not really walking distance to any part you'll want to go to. They do advertise a free shuttle to the "village" area where the shops and most of the restaurants are. They also say that La Jolla Shores Beach (a really great beach) is walking distance. Well, I think it's a bit far if you're carrying a lot of beach stuff and much too far after sitting in the sun and playing around all day. If you stay here, ask for the shuttle to the beach too. Also be aware that there was a lot of roadwork going on at the corner where the hotel is situated. I haven't been over there for a few weeks, so it may have been completed by now. The higher floors do have great views.

Where in Scotland are you coming from? I come from Edinburgh myself.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 08:32 PM

In San Fran, quikbook.com has availability at the Radisson and the Marriot, both are better choices than the Holiday Inn. Tuscan is also a good choice. If you will be parking a car, see if you can get a room at columbusmotorinn.com, they include parking which is $20 at other hotels (daily).

For La Jolla, The Marriot is available and a bit nicer than the Radisson. Hotel La Jolla looks nice on its website, check their special website rates.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 11:32 PM

If you are wanting to stay in La Jolla be careful there are hotels that say La Jolla when they are nowhere near. La Jolla is a beautiful place and there are hotels within walking distance. If you let us know what you want to see in San Diego we could help you better.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 04:53 PM

i agree with 4janet. if it were up to half of these hotels/motels, la jolla would be half of san diego. radisson, marriot, hyatt, embassy suites are all in the utc area - close, but not quite la jolla.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:36 AM

It is rather last minute but I would suggest you check out Pacific Terrace Hotel in San Diego. It is located on beach, has a terrific swimming pool and spa , family rooms available, lovely breafast buffet included. On the ocean with views. There is just a sidewalk and half wall separating the hotel from the beach. You need a car but it is not hard to get to all the wonderful other things you will want to do in and around San D iego.

http://www.pacificterrace.com/

We really enjoy this place.

Meme
Northampton, Mass