California hiking the 1st week of April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2020, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to meet some friends in Yosemite Valley the first week of April but I would like to tag on some solo travel before or after that. I was initially interested in Lake Tahoe OR Kings Canyon/Sequoia. But I know early spring can be a little dicey in the mountains with weather and I'm looking for somewhere I can drive to safely (within 2-4 hours) and not be hiking through snow the entire time. Any recommendations (both ones I've mentioned above or others I may not be aware of) for good hiking that time of year (I dont mind colder temps, more concerned about safety). Thanks!
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 06:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Within 2-4 hours of where? My thought would be from the south entrance of Yosemite coming north from Oakhurst on 41. You may be able to hike (maybe snowshoe) into the Mariposa Grove. In any case, make sure someone knows exactly where you are going and check with them after you return safely. I used to hike solo in some rather dangerous places. Seeing cougar tracks following rabbit tracks in snow was one of the clues I should not be where I was.
If you ever wanted to visit Crater Lake NP, there is a ranger led snowshoe hike on Saturdays that starts next to the Crater Lake lodge. Snowshoes are provided by the Park Service for your hike. The time I went I brought my own.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Monterey Peninsula is about 4 hours from Yosemite Valley. Late March/early April is the end of the rainy season so you may encounter some late season rain but it's usually nice by then. Lots of hiking within a short drive - Point Lobos, Big Sur, Garland Ranch, etc. It's also a good time of year for wildlife viewing as northbound gray whales are migrating back to Alaska and humpback whales are arriving for the season. If you come the second week of April, it's harbor seal pupping season. You can also day trip to Santa Cruz for more redwoods or out to Pinnacles National Park for a completely different environment. Pinnacles is beautiful in spring.

Harbor seals at Point Lobos

Garrapata State Park

McWay Falls at Julia Pfeiffer Burns

Pinnacles National Park

Talus cave at Pinnacles
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 10:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
IF you do mean w/i 2-4 hours of Yosemite and wanting to avoid snow - then your basic two options are the Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur area with maybe Pinnacles Natl park . . . or . . . The Gold Rush foothills along Hwy 49. The coast would be my choice.