Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   California for Snowbirds? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/california-for-snowbirds-771898/)

retired04 Mar 8th, 2009 02:17 PM

California for Snowbirds?

Now that we escaped the Michigan winter for 3 months in Loma Linda California for medical reasons, we cannot see spending another winter in Michigan. Wondering what to expect weatherwise for Jan Feb Mar along the beach areas..such as Oceanside, Seal Beach, etc...Would we have any beach days? I know this year was unusual..cold, wind, rain, but also 10 days over 80 in January. Are there furnished rentals available in those areas? Just starting to look and started here first. Thanks..We really really miss the green and the flowers...

overyonder Mar 8th, 2009 05:32 PM

Hello retired04 -

I am sorry you did not get to spend your recent time in CA under better circumstances but here's hoping your next trip back will be a great one!

Along the southern CA coast the winter months can vary weather wise but generally speaking it is not typical laying on the beach and soaking up the rays time (no doubt though that it will be warmer than MI). Not to say you can't enjoy your time down on the coast because there is still plenty to do (bike rides, long walks along the shoreline, fishing off the pier, kayaking, etc.)

As far as location I am rather partial to Seal Beach (I use to live there), but there are plenty to choose from. Seal Beach really is a quaint little town with quite a few restaurants, and shops all within easy walking distance. I will mention during the winter months they do put up a sand berm to protect the beach and nearby homes.

In regard to furnished rentals I always have really good luck with VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals by Owner).

I wish you all the best!

p.s. I might also mention a popular spot in CA for snowbirds is the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area if you are looking for something a little warmer (but not as green).

MomDDTravel Mar 8th, 2009 07:13 PM

Hi retired! I am glad you enjoyed your time in Southern Cal even based on the reasons. I have lived most of my life along the beach area in Southern California. It is not beach weather and a little warmer where you were in Loma Linda. Having said that you get the amazing days here and there of the 80's that come from "no where" and then the next day it is in the 50/60... you really learn to just go with it.

Oceanside is an up and coming area so to speak and not what it was when I was growing up in San Diego (we sort of looked down our nose at the area) there are still some pretty "low" end areas to Oceanside so I would be VERY reluctant to rent there without knowing EXACTLY where you would be. I love the North County coastal area of San Diego though.

San Clemente is a great sleepy beach town imo - and due to many of the home owners associations you can only do month to month beach rentals there - so you might have great luck.

We have rented a house a few times in Newport Beach. I am not crazy about the north section but like it further south. Usually the rentals are for the entire winter for UCI students and then they have to be out for the week to week rental in the summer. A few too many parties though for a retired couple I think (I know it was too much for me).

I am not fimilar with anything north of Newport really - You should consider San Diego - I spent most of my life there and love the beach areas... :) You cannot beat La Jolla (make sure it is in the village) - it is a great walking town - or if you can nab something even up this way in Laguna it would be lovely.

MomDDTravel Mar 8th, 2009 07:16 PM

I have used VBRO -
and had great luck but this company gets good feedback and is very professional.

http://www.burrwhite.com/ - Newport Beach area

Barblab Mar 11th, 2009 07:17 AM

I would encourage you to expand your search to the South Bay beaches of Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo when looking on VRBO.com. There is a wonderful bike path that goes 22 miles along the beach from Torrance to Santa Monica which is very fun for both walking and biking. Winter is wonderful along the coast. Fewer people, dolphins playing in the surf, big waves, clear skys - my favorite time of year.

If the ocean is not a priority and you like to golf then take the previous posters suggestion and look in the Palm Desert, Indian Wells or La Quinta area of the desert.