Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   California, avoid due to wildfires?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/california-avoid-due-to-wildfires-1083485/)

Jessica727 Jan 9th, 2016 06:40 PM

California, avoid due to wildfires??

My 30th birthday is this July and I really want to head West. My "rough draft" plan was to fly into San Francisco, rent RV, drive to Yosemite, then drive to Sequoia, then back to San Francisco to fly back home to Chicago, all over the course of 6-7 days. Being that it is July and current meteorological outlooks on the drought are not optimistic, should I scrap my plans? Really worried we are going to spend a whole lot of money on plane tickets only to end up not being able to go due to wildfires. 4-5 adults and one 2.5 year old. #Californiawildfire #Yosemite #sequoia #30thbirthday #RVrental #SanFrancisco #California #drought #not sure if this type of tag works here

MmePerdu Jan 9th, 2016 06:57 PM

It's been raining for weeks and snowpack is well above normal. Not sure what forecasts you're reading. If you're worried, there are no guarantees so plan for somewhere else. I think that's always the best idea, plan to not worry.

marvelousmouse Jan 9th, 2016 07:03 PM

And if it's reassuring at all- the wildfires were bad last year but they didn't really seem to hit California until after I left (late July). I had no problems at all until I drove into southern Oregon at the beginning of August.

I'm happy to hear CA is finally getting some rain, mmeperdu! The drought conditions last summer were sobering.

MmePerdu Jan 9th, 2016 07:09 PM

I'm happy too, mouse, and so are my trees.

november_moon Jan 9th, 2016 07:49 PM

We have wildfires every summer. There isn't any reason to expect that the fires will be worse this year than any other year. Chances are, any wildfires won't adversely affect your plans.

traveler24 Jan 9th, 2016 08:09 PM

this site could help with you itinerary and helpful hints about time frames.
Also RV.net/forum is great for RV related info. Of course July is a very high tourist so reservations are a must..

janisj Jan 9th, 2016 09:11 PM

>> Being that it is July and current meteorological outlooks on the drought are not optimistic, should I scrap my plans? <<

It seems you are reading 'meteorological outlooks' from LAST summer. Otherwise I have no idea where you read such a thing.

But -- no matter, wildfires or no wildfires . . . do you have a lot of experience driving RVs in the mountains? Unless you do, renting a car and either camping or staying in hotels/motels would be better.

Jessica727 Jan 10th, 2016 03:57 AM

Wow I didn't expect so many responses let alone overnight! Thank you! Here is the site I read:http://www.acwa.com/sites/default/fi...nfographic.pdf however I just read this which sounds more current and promising:http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...el-nino-rains/ @janisj No we have absolutely zero experience driving an Rv anywhere, we are flatlanders who usually drive to camp somewhere. However, they're is no way we could drive from Chicago to California and camp,it would be a two week trip instead of one which we can't do. And it sounds like a nightmare to pack camping stuff to fly with... so RV was really the only option. Driving a car or SUV also doesn't sound exciting at all, we do that everyday, you know? So what do I need to know? There seems to be RV parks all over, so I was hoping we could drive without the full tank of water and fill as we arrive at our destinations, and take bathroom breaks at gas stations in between. Our longest drive is only 4 hours so not bad... thanks again for all your responses! I know this is an ambitious plan, but you only turn 30 once! And I have never been West at all so this is important to me.

janisj Jan 10th, 2016 06:03 AM

>>However, they're is no way we could drive from Chicago to California and camp<< >>so RV was really the only option.<<

I wasn't suggesting you drive out from anywhere. Instead of renting a very expensive RV, rent a car. You can rent camping gear, or buy very cheap from Walmart (possibly cheaper than renting). Or, a car and motels will likely not cost any more than an RV.

>>No we have absolutely zero experience driving an Rv anywhere, we are flatlanders <<

Then I would NOT have your first experience driving in the Sierra. Not a great idea.

>>Our longest drive is only 4 hours so not bad…<<

Probably not in an RV. Are you taking your drive times from google maps or similar? If so I'd add probably 50% w/ an RV.

Or how about splurging and renting a convertible . . . hecka more fun than slogging along at 30 mph in an RV.

Dayle Jan 10th, 2016 07:37 AM

I would just add that since you are concerned about possible wildfires causing the waste of expensive airlines tickets, have you even checked into renting an RV yet?

They are extremely expensive. Rental + mileage+gas+kitchen kit fee+sleep kit fee+cleaning fee+dumping fee +initial deposit+possible damages. Add campground fees and hassle of not being an experienced RV driver or camper.

I think you would have more fun either staying in motels or car camping, but car camping with a toddler is difficult and stressful if you haven't done it a lot and have everything figured out.

mlgb Jan 10th, 2016 07:38 AM

In Yosemite you can stay either in Housekeeping Camp if you want to cook, or Camp Curry if you don't.

Dayle Jan 10th, 2016 07:41 AM

One other point in the RV rental, you usually can't pick up before late afternoon and you have to return them usually mid morning. That means you are paying a full days rental for a day you don't get to fully use. This will have an impact on your 6 or 7 days. You also can't return them on Sundays since the rental offices are usually closed on Sunday's. Planning your trip just got more complicated.

AustinTraveler Jan 10th, 2016 08:42 AM

You will also have to reserve all your campgrounds ahead of time. They get packed, especially in summer.

mlgb Jan 10th, 2016 08:53 AM

That is going to be true of ALL lodging in Yosemite.

janisj Jan 10th, 2016 09:41 AM

>>That is going to be true of ALL lodging in Yosemite.<<

True but there are cancellations daly so most persistent visitors can get a room. And if not, there are two motels in El Portal where one can book and then cancel if/when a room in the Valley opens up.

mlgb Jan 10th, 2016 11:18 AM

I can't imagine taking pot luck with Yosemite lodging in July, sorry. I've seen the line out the door with people hoping for a cancellation.

Reserve now, even if you later cancel. The policy is pretty liberal.

Otherwise you will driving hours extra in and out of the park with toddlers, on top of standing in line for the shuttle buses.

MmePerdu Jan 10th, 2016 11:32 AM

I don't think anyone is suggesting arriving in Yosemite without a reservation somewhere. The reference, I believe, is to cancellations prior to arrival - keep checking during the weeks beforehand.

MmePerdu Jan 10th, 2016 11:33 AM

Months & weeks beforehand.

janisj Jan 10th, 2016 11:35 AM

>>I can't imagine taking pot luck with Yosemite lodging in July, sorry. I've seen the line out the door with people hoping for a cancellation. <<

Where did I or anyone say take 'potluck'??? One TRIES to book NOW, if nothing is available (quite possible), one books in El Portal (now). Then one continues to call every week or so, and probably 95% of the time a cancellation will pop up for their dates.

jamie99 Jan 10th, 2016 11:41 AM

Are you aware of all the extra costs involved in renting an RV? Here is an article written by an RVr from the TA forums to give you an idea:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2...ht.For.Us.html