Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Calgary, Banff & Lake Louise (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/calgary-banff-and-lake-louise-20921/)

Jeff & Bridgid Martin Jan 25th, 1998 10:07 PM

Calgary, Banff & Lake Louise

We are staying at Calgary, Banff and Lake Louise in September could anyone please recommend accomodation in these areas.

Lynn Jan 26th, 1998 07:00 PM

We stayed in these areas in August '96. All of our accomodations were with Canadian Pacific Hotels, which overall are very good, classy properties. In Calgary, we stayed downtown at The Palliser, next to the Calgary Tower. We liked the property and location. In Banff, we stayed at the Banff Springs Hotel. We weren't too pleased with the accomodations as the room was small and sparse. It is my understanding they have renovated some rooms in the hotel, so if you stay there, try to get a newer room. Otherwise, I've heard good comments about other hotels in town, one specifically is the Rim Rock. The Banff Springs hotel is about 1 mile from the downtown area and you can walk down or catch the shuttle. And in Lake Louise, we stayed at the Chateau Lake Louise. If you stay here, spend the extra money and be sure to get a room with a view of the lake. We were also pleased with this property. Enjoy your trip!

jj Jan 27th, 1998 04:44 PM

Jeff and Bridgid: We got a good deal through Brewster's independent tour packages, in which a car and six nights in a choice of hotels in Banff, Jasper and Lake Louise are all included and at a bargain compared to the rack rate. Brewster offers good deals at luxury as well as economy hotels.

Lynn Jan 27th, 1998 04:57 PM

I'm not sure what the relationship was, if any, with our hotel rooms, but our trip to Canada also involved Brewster Motorcoach as we took a Canadian Rail/Coach tour offered by Rocky Mountaineer Railtours. We flew to Calgary, stayed overnight, then spent several days traveling to these cities plus Jasper via Brewster Motorcoach, then after a night in Banff, we took the Rocky Mountaineer train to Vancouver. And the info is correct, there were varying levels of accomodations available at the time we booked--they referred to the differences as "popular" and "superior".

Joyce Peters Feb 19th, 1998 07:59 PM

Just wanted to comment on your question re: Lake Louise. Have stayed there many times and highly recommend the Chateau Lake Louise which is a Canadian Pacific Hotel. If you go you must also try the restaurant "Walliser Stube " (not exactly sure of the spelling) but the have a fantastic chocolate fondue. This hotel is very elegant and you will not regret your stay. I think it was also voted in the 10 most romantic getaways in North America.

andrea Feb 20th, 1998 04:27 PM

In Bannf I would choose the Rimrock. Stay away from the Inns of Banff Park! CRUMMY! In Jasper we stayed at the Tonquin and it was very nice.

Be sure to buy the audio tape that narrates the drive from Bannf to Jasper! It was sensational! You'll love this trip!

claire mcnaught Feb 27th, 1998 01:42 PM

Here are some thoughts:
If you are a hiking enthusiast there are two lodges I would recommend. One luxury lodge, Lake O'Hara about 12 miles from Lake Louise, and one more rustic (ie shared bathrooms) and European, Mt Engadine Lodge in Canmore. Both have excellent hiking from the property and very good food. I believe if you check the web site at http://www.worldweb.com/ParksCanada-Banff/index AND substitute Yoho for Banff in the address, you will be able to access some information on this area.(Yoho is the park next to Banff National Park.)
2. In Jasper, try Becker's Chalets right on Highway 93 as you enter town. Charming and excellent food.
3. In Lake Louise, the Post Hotel is expensive and beautiful.Even if you don't stay there, eat one meal there. Cheaper is the Deer Park, adequate and within walking distance of the Chateau which is packed with conventioneers.

Robert D. Brown Mar 2nd, 1998 09:25 AM

If you will give me a few more specifics on what type of accommodations you are looking for, I might be able to supply a little more information. If you are going there primarily to eat and sleep, the advice you have gotten so far is good. But,
Banff is relatively pricey as is Lake Louise; rooms at Chateau Lake Louise can easily run you over $200 CDN daily.

And Lake O'Hara Lodge is sold well in advance and goes for about $230 per person per night, with a 2 night minimum. But it has a web page you might consult.

For a city of its size, Calgary has relatively few motels and hotels. Contact the Albert Tourist Authority, Travel Alberta, and they will send you a very complete guide on motels, hotels and a few bed and breakfasts.

One suggestion I might make is that you should at least drive part of the Icefields Parkway to Jasper.
Go at least as far as the Icefields Center.

But, again, contact me directly and I will be happy to share with you the details of some 7 trips to the Candian Rockies -- all freelance and all fabulous.