Calaveras Big Trees State Park?

Sep 10th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Calaveras Big Trees State Park?

I知 looking at visiting Calaveras Big Trees from Sacramento. Seeing a sequoia tree is on the bucket list but I never seem to be close enough to Yosemite, Kings Canyon or Sequoia NPs to see those famous groves.

1. How much time would I need to get from from SMF airport to the park and walk to the Agassiz tree and back to the car. Concerned about running out of daylight if arriving 1:30 pm flight.

2. Are the sequoias at Calaveras Big Trees as impressive as the groves at the national parks?

Sep 10th, 2019, 06:30 PM

>>1. How much time would I need to get from from SMF airport to the park and walk to the Agassiz tree and back to the car.<<

What day of the week -- makes a difference re traffic. When -- Time of year makes a difference re sunset.

But in general it will be a little over 2 hours no matter which route you take. If you get on the road after 3PM add more time due to traffic.

>>2. Are the sequoias at Calaveras Big Trees as impressive as the groves at the national parks?<<

Pretty much. Not as extensive as Sequoia but larger then Yosemite.
Sep 10th, 2019, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Monday or Tuesday end of September. If it痴 a 2 hour drive and the south loop is a 3 hour hike it could work. I値l bring a flashlight.

If the trip gets postponed till November I値l stay an extra day on my own dime to make it work.