Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cakebread Wines and collections (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cakebread-wines-and-collections-623911/)

nctoys Jun 15th, 2006 05:36 PM

Cakebread Wines and collections

I am just starting to collect wines and build my cellar and need some good selections. Price is not an issue as I am looking to invest 10-15K initially to build my inventory. Any suggestions? Where to buy good investment wine? I love Cakebread Wines, but are these good for investment. Not looking to buy a tremendous amount of already expensive wines ( a few here an there) but I am looking to buy good potential investment wines. Sorry, for the beginner questions. Any help would be appreciated!

TravelTess Jun 15th, 2006 06:23 PM

I adore good wine and Cakebread Cellars. However, this is a travel board. Obvious question...why not post your question on a wine board?

nctoys Jun 15th, 2006 06:34 PM

Sorry, I am traveling to CA in August so and recommended stops would be great for wines.

fairygemgirl Jun 15th, 2006 09:14 PM

I prefer white wines and really enjoyed Cakebread, Trefethen, and ChimneyRock wineries. Having said that, I understand that white wines really arent meant to be kept for years (as an investment) and reds are really better to age. Hubby/red wine drinker really liked Opus, Duckhorn and Franke Family. We don't really invest in wine but these were the ones we enjoyed on our wine country trip.

TahitiTams Jun 15th, 2006 11:16 PM

My Fav's are;
Rombauer
Silver Oak
Joseph Phelps
Jordan
Chimney Rock
Ridge
Chateau Montelana
Mt. Veeder
Stag's Leap
and of course Cakebread
There are some great Chilean wines..
Also, Australia and South African
How fun stocking up on great wine and stock the seller and money not really being a factor but keep in mind that it doesn't always take alot of money to have a stellar bottle of wine..
Costco is a good place to get a good deal on alot of the wines above and you go by what wine spectator says on the point system..92-95 is beyond unbelievable..
Best to you!

emd Jun 16th, 2006 02:25 AM

nctoys, you do not have to go to a inwe board per se. There is a group of wine folks who have a long post going on this board. Go to the "Other Topics" part of the forums and scroll down for the "Winos" post. People there are very helpful on your topic.

emd Jun 16th, 2006 02:26 AM

oops, that is "wine board"

LilMsFoodie Jun 16th, 2006 03:47 AM

St. Supery: they make a spectacular Sauv. Bl and a meritage: Virtu. Great winery to visit. They do have a number of smaller production wines that you can buy at the winery. I belong to their wine club and get shipments but the shipping cost is outrageous, often over $7 per bottle.

mikemo Jun 16th, 2006 06:49 AM

I would suggest you look at the (perhaps outstanding) 2005 Bordeaux futures including some of the dry whites and a sauterne/barsac or two. www.pjwine.com is a good starting place.
There is an outstanding '04 Porta Grand Reserve (Chile) Pinot Noir at our "local" Costco for about $10.65.
I had long standing relationships with the several major wine stores and their managers in Dallas for almost 25 years and found 100's of great wines and some screaming bargains.
M