Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cabins in NH, Mass near water (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cabins-in-nh-mass-near-water-520872/)

lorin Apr 13th, 2005 07:34 AM

Cabins in NH, Mass near water

Hello:
A group of 6 of us are looking to rent a cabin near the water in new England...5 adults and one child and if we can take ouyr dogs, vene better@ We just want to relax, hopefully fish, take some day trips. I was looking at a place in NH, Timerland Lodge but it was realllly remote, maybe too so. Any suggestions? We are looking to go in June or August . Thanks

clarkgriswold Apr 13th, 2005 09:35 AM

Check out visitnh.com

The Alton Bay area is particularly nice and there are a few cottage options...not sure about the pet thing.

sam Apr 13th, 2005 09:56 AM

Also try VRBO.com for rentals. Most of the listings have prices, pictures, whether they allow pets, and availability calendars. Have a wonderful time!

dfrostnh Apr 14th, 2005 03:27 AM

Timberland is remote. As suggested, the Lake Winnipesaukee area will give you a lot of choices. So will Winnisquam which is nearby. If you stay in the Alton or Wolfeboro area, day trips to the mountains or even Portland Maine would be easy. The Weirs Beach area is very popular, crowded and noisy. Meredith or Center Harbor would be nice. Don't get anything that is right on Route 3. Emphasize that you want a quiet area. Lake Sunapee would be a quieter area with closer access to VT, not as good for the mountains. Depending on the age of the child, Lake Winnipesaukee might be the best bet. If the child is really young, a day at Storyland in Glen would be great. We rented thru an agency and this is your best bet. Just make sure there is a beach area. Our cabin was on the lake but didn't really have a beach, just a dock and a steep bank. You might have better luck with June. A lot have probably already booked for August. The thing to keep in mind is that some cottages and cottage colonies are right on busy Rt 3 but others are down side roads, well away from traffic congestion. There's a channel that goes under Rt 3 to give boats access to Lake Winnipesaukee right next to the Weirs and there is just a steady stream of boats on weekends. If you want quiet, you don't want to be near this area.

girlonthego Apr 14th, 2005 04:54 AM

As a child, we stayed every year in Wolfeboro at Lake Winnepausakee in NH. We stayed at the Piping Rock cabins and motel. This is not luxury and I have no idea what they look like today. (I am 40 and haven't been there since about 14 years old) These are my best memories of childhood vacation.There is a beach and you can rent a boat (there's a dock) for the week. We did take day trips to Maine and other attractions. Wolfeboro is a very nice old faishoned town. They never used to allow any chain restaurants in town. The Piping Rock did have a few cabins (1 or 2) with A/c. The motel is efficencies with a/c. June will be cheaper, cooler and more importantly still available. Enjoy. Oh and fourth of July there used to be a carnival in town. That is the week we went.

kaudrey Apr 14th, 2005 05:08 AM

girlonthego - I just had to write when I saw your story! Every year growing up, my family vacationed at Kingswood Acres on Crescent Lake in New Hampshire.

I can't picture Piping Rock, but I'm sure my parents could tell me about them - they retired up there 8 years ago, so now when I visit there I stay with them. Wolfeboro is like a second home to me. I love it there.

Karen

lizag Apr 14th, 2005 07:41 AM

Last summer we found a great place in Belgrade Lakes, Maine (not too far from the White Mts of NH) where the fishing was fantastic, the prices were low and our dog was welcome. We had a waterfront cottage...they will rent you a little boat with your own mooring...kayaks are provided free. There are nesting loons and bald eagles-meals are included (they even pack you a daily picnic lunch). There are die-hard fishermen here but the staff will make you feel very welcome. Check out http://www.whisperwoodlodge.com and tell Candy (the owner) hello. Whisperwood's cabins are rustic but cozy and the owner is incredibly hard working. I understand that some of "on Golden Pond" was filmed here.

girlonthego Apr 14th, 2005 11:10 AM

Karen: Did you ever go to the Hansel and Gretel shop and fish for candy? Bailey's ice cream parlor? The Bittersweet restaurant? The Yum Yum Shop bakery? The little tiny movie theater! Oh such good memories. We had a few families that went every year the first two weeks of July. We had no tv's and wore sweat shirts at night because it was cool. We had so much fun there. The Piping Rock had the Libby house on it. The Libby's had a museum in town. We used to pretend that the house was haunted.(I was a big Nancy Drew fan). We would put on shows for our parents. And we all sat around at night at someone's cabin and played games like charades. I wish my kids could experience a carefree vacation like that.