Cabin in the Smokies - I LOVE this board

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what I'd do without this board. I use it regularly for my international and Hawaii travel. When I was looking for a cabin in the Smokies I did a search and based on the posts, booked a 2-bdrm cabin at Oak Haven (Sevierville, TN) for last weekend.

I fell in love with that cabin so much that now I want to buy one in the development! It probably won't happen, but I'm enjoying the fantasy. (They sell them and then rent them out for the owners, for a management fee.)

My sister is fanatically clean and it was immaculate enough even for her. We loved the fireplace, the well-stocked kitchen, the beds, the furnishings, the rocking chairs on the porch, the hot tub, and of course, the gorgeous setting. I thought it was an incredible bargain at $135/nt (plus tax). There's a spa on the premises, but we didn't use it or the pool.

It looked too good to be true online -- but it was even better than I expected. I WANT TO MOVE THERE!!!

Now, the bad news . . . the traffic into Pigeon Forge was so horrible that we turned back after 30 minutes of bumper-to-bumper on our first attempt. (It was a Friday evening.) It was terrible all day Saturday, as well. I'll never go back on a weekend -- or if I do, I'll just stay at the cabin.

PS. This is for real. I've posted many times under Hawaii, Norway, Toronto, Chicago, etc . . .
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 03:00 AM

Glad you had fun, Songdoc.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 04:47 AM

There are back roads into Pigeon Forge from Sevierville. One busy back road is Middle Creek, which used to be a little-used back way into Dollywood. Now it's heavily traveled, but beats the main road into town. There are other back roads where you won't pass much traffic at all (and no, I'm not posting them here, lol). Find a good map of the area and start exploring!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 04:52 AM
iceeu2

Songdoc, I am so glad others love Oak Haven as much as we do. It is magnificent there, but how did you get a 2 br for $135 during this time period?

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 06:17 AM
iceeu2

Songdoc, I meant to tell you and others...for the real icee's 60th birthday celebration we rented 3 cabins at Oak Haven...a 2 br, 3 br and 4 br (all with game rooms). It was great for everyone to gather on those big wrap around porches and swing and cook and jacuzzi!!!! A few people golfed one day, a few people shopped one day and a few rode go-carts one day, but other than that...we just enjoyed that beautiful place.

I also have teetered with the idea of buying there and putting it into their rental program.

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 08:12 AM

You really have to ask and search for ways to drive around there. We always go to G'burg from the east and avoid PForge like the plague. However, once when my SIL wanted to do the outlets, we called the people who rented us the cabin and got great directions. Heads up anybody going there!!!!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 09:12 AM
iceeu2

You are so right LLindaC, it is a royal pain in the rear end sometimes. A couple of years ago, the real icee was out of town and I decided to go up for the weekend all by myself in October!! It was terrible!!!!!!!!!

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

How did I get that price for a 2-bdrm? I only needed a one-bedroom and they didn't have any available, so they gave it to me for the price of a 1-bedroom. Guess I got lucky.

Thanks to all who suggested researching alternate roads. That's a must for future trips.

I can't stop thinking about buying one of those cabins. A big hitch is that I've got three cats and I'd want to be able to take them with. (I live 4 hours away in Nashville.) Pets are not allowed for renters. I'll check to see if owners can bring pets to their units. It might be a problem in case renters had allergies. (Totally off the topic, but I heard on the news that they've developed a breed of hypo-allergenic cats. Only $4,000 per kitty!)

I might just have to make a call!
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 05:00 PM
iceeu2

You did get lucky, Songdoc. Same thing happened to my Canadian friends a few years ago. They wanted a 2 br, but all they had was a 2 br with gameroom, so they ended up with a great price like you did.

Buy one of those kitties!!

I like you, Songdoc!