Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cab after Knicks game (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cab-after-knicks-game-386195/)

DSM Jan 11th, 2004 11:13 PM

Cab after Knicks game

How hard/easy is it to catch a cab after a Knicks game? Are there generally plenty on hand, or are they like gold-dust?

My wife and I are going to the Knicks v Supersonics game this Friday (16th). We're staying in the Metropolitan Hotel (51 St on Lexington), and I don't relish the walk back to the hotel if it's sub zero outside!

Thanks,

DSM

bri19sp Jan 11th, 2004 11:43 PM

I'm sure it won't be that big of a problem, you may have to walk to a block to get out of the masses first.

It many be easier to just take the E subway, however. It has a stop at 34th and 8th and also a stop at 53rd and Lexington.

sillybalkan Jan 12th, 2004 04:03 AM

You can queue up for a cab outside the Garden, on either 7th or 8th Avenues. You may have a bit of a wait, many of the Broadway shows are letting out around the same time the game will be ending.

I'd go with the E train to Lexington Avenue. It's fast and safe. Make sure you get the Uptown/Queens E train at Penn Station.

McSmith Jan 12th, 2004 04:30 AM

Enjoy the game. We will also be there. Although we are comin from NJ.

DSM Jan 12th, 2004 06:06 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I will go for the subway option - I just hope I don't end up a million miles from where I want to go!

We didn't venture near the subway last year as I would have wasted half of our trip trying to figure it out!

McSmith - I hope you enjoy the game also. We're coming from a bit farther afield.... Northern Ireland (UK).

Thanks again,

DSM

Doug Jan 12th, 2004 06:59 AM

Hey DSM,

As others have mentioned, the E train is probably the best way to get back to your hotel. The stop is at 53rd and Lex. whereas youre hotel is 51st and Lex., just a 2 block walk.

The Lexington Avenue/53 Street station will be your 5th stop after getting on at Penn Station.

If you do happen to change your mind and decide to take a cab, I would recommend walking a few block east, maybe up to Madison Ave., for your best chance of hailing one. The line to get one in front of Madison Square Garden will be long, especially if you leave the game when everyone else does.

Enjoy!

mp Jan 12th, 2004 07:22 AM

The way the knicks are playing - it really won't be that much of a problem . . .

cindymal Jan 14th, 2004 09:14 AM

MP
You stole my line,
Any way it will not be hard to get a cab.The subway is ok but if it is cold,catch a cab.

McSmith Jan 17th, 2004 04:50 AM

Well, DSM, you were able to see quite an awesome game. As you know, the Knicks are not always so good, but the energy at MSG is always the same - thats what makes their games so great.

DSM Jan 20th, 2004 04:27 AM

McSmith,

It really was an awesome game! It was all the better since it was my first NBA game!

I'll be booking tickets for another game or two on my next trip to NYC (later this year!).

Thanks again for the advice etc.

DSM

suzanne Jan 20th, 2004 09:11 AM

I was there too - what a game!!!

LENNY WILKENS!

stephen_ross Jan 20th, 2004 09:59 AM

booo, go sixers