Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   CA Central Coast HOTELS - Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ca-central-coast-hotels-help-518622/)

jande Apr 5th, 2005 06:11 AM

CA Central Coast HOTELS - Help!

Hi, can anyone offer us some advice on lodging in the region around San Simeon, Cambria, or Morro Bay?
We're looking for a "nicer" property (i.e. we'll be staying at the Four Seasons once we get to San Francisco), but the >$500 price tag for Post Ranch Inn is too hefty!
Of the B&Bs and motels we read about on previous posts, it's a little hard to tell what level they really are...
In general, we'd prefer something modern and pristine over an old B&B, unless it's really clean and nice. A view would be great too. Prefer to stay under $300 or so.
- Are there any newly-built or recently renovated properties in this region?
- How nice is Best Western Cavalier in San Simeon?
Thank so much in advance!!

GP Apr 5th, 2005 07:09 AM

Hi jande

Try the Inn at Morro bay. Nice place, not up to four seasons but one of the nicer places in that area.

Have Fun
GP

Boxer Apr 5th, 2005 07:18 AM

Stayed at Moonstone Landing in Cambria last August. Very nice. Right on the beach and I'm sure you could get an oceanfront room if you booked now.

Nice continental breakfast in the common room with your room rate.

If I can find the webpage for Moonstone Landing I'll post it.

It's not the Four Seasons but Cambria is a pretty laid back beach town and I don't think Four Seasons type hotels really exist there.

The town itself (back from the beach area called "Moonstone Beach" is very pleasant and has some very good restaurants.

Plus the wineries of Paso Robles are excellent and not nearly so crowded or commercial seeming as Napa.

Little_Man Apr 5th, 2005 07:18 AM

Cambria has better choices than San Simeon, and it's very easy to get to San Simeon from there. I don't think there's anything in the Four Seasons category, though. We stayed at the Fogcather Inn a few years ago, and it was nice, but definitely 3 star. There are probably others in Cambria just a bit newer and nicer.

A little out of your way perhaps, there's a very interesting & luxurious looking inn in Paso Robles called Villa Toscana.

Boxer Apr 5th, 2005 07:24 AM

Okay, here is the Moonstone Landing web address (however, it didn't seem to be working too well on my computer ...).

http://www.moonstonelanding.com/

jande Apr 5th, 2005 07:37 AM

GREAT, thanks everyone! I'll start looking into all these places.

kimamom Apr 5th, 2005 10:20 AM

Hi Jande! We also enjoyed the Inn @ Morro Bay. It's very nice. Try to book an bay view room with a soft-tub jacuzzi. Beds are comfy, robes soft and the restaurant there is very good with pretty views from the dining room. They also have complimentary bikes that we enjoyed riding around. :)

I prefer Cambria to San Simeon. We have enjoyed stays at the Blue Whale Inn, the Fireside Inn and Cypress Cove Inn. Have fun! ***kim*** ((#))

travcat Apr 15th, 2005 10:25 AM

I live in this area, so I don't spend much time at the hotels :-) I've heard that Cambria Pines Lodge is very nice. The property is beautiful. There are also some small, nice-looking hotels along Moonstone Beach. I'd definitely pick Cambria over either Morro Bay or San Simeon. It's right between the two and an easy drive to either one, plus it's a much nicer town in my opinion, with good restaurants and shops, nice beaches and good walks and hikes. The Best Western in San Simeon doesn't look impressive to me.

GP mentioned the Inn at Morro Bay--if I were staying in MB, I'd probably choose that.

Happy travels!

mlgb Apr 16th, 2005 08:30 AM

I've stayed in Cambria Pines Lodge and it is indeed very nice. Nothing Four Seasons, perhaps you should just stay in Santa Barbara if you want that type of hotel experience? Biltmore or Fess Parker.

socialworker Apr 16th, 2005 08:48 AM

HI we also stayed at the Cambria Pines Lodge. We liked it but it was quite rustic--one would stay there for the woodsy setting and not for luxury. Cambria, in genreral, is not a luxury spot, but rather an outdoorsy place that conjours up the old west--or at least it did for me. I have heard good things about the Moonstone place referenced here--may have more of the kind of amenities you are seeking. The ocean there gets cold and the Pines spot is closer to town and not so chilly. I think you might want to revise your expectations b/c this area is definitely out of the way, but well worth a visit. I agree w/those who say not to stay in San Simeon--which is only a 15-20 min drive from Cambria. Cambria has a very picturesque "downtown" area. We stopped in at a very old bar/pool hall and I half expected the stage coach to pull up!!

don1one May 27th, 2005 01:50 PM

Don't forget to look at motels in Cayucos too. From budget minded but well kept motels like the Cypress Tree Motel to the Shoreline Inn which is right on the beach.

-Don-

janeinlaguna Jun 18th, 2005 03:14 PM

We are repeat visitors to the Inn at Morro Bay. It borders the state park and there are lovely walks along the coast and out on the spit along the estuary. Even the smaller rooms are quite comfortable, in your price range you will have the view and the private hot tub.

Also, the food in the bar comes from the restaurant and we have preferred eating there. Usually good live music and interesting people.

bugswife1 Jun 18th, 2005 03:35 PM

Is Cambria a good 'base' for seeing Big Sur as well? How far is the drive from Cambria to Big Sur? Thanks! And thanks to Jande for tagging on to her original question!