Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Buying Looks Like Better Idea (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/buying-looks-like-better-idea-477554/)

jlents Sep 29th, 2004 06:28 PM

Buying Looks Like Better Idea

Hey New York, I'm thinking that buying is a better bet. There a few staten island condo and brooklyn condo for under $200,000. I see more sense in puting money into a bought property than renting. How late do the ferrys run to/from staten island? Thanks everyone, you have no idea how much you're helping me out. APPRECIATE IT!! THANKS!

nytraveler Sep 30th, 2004 05:56 AM

Like almost everything else in NYC the Staten Island ferry runs 24/7. Although very late at night I believe it is every 30 minutes - vs every 15 during rush hour. I'm sure the web site would have all the details.

The only issue is - how do you get from your house to the ferry - traffic on SI can be bad at rush hour - so be sure to check out your public transit options to get to the ferry.

Brooklyn might be a better option in terms of transit (with one subway, or perhaps a single change- rather than a bus to a boat to a subway) - obviously depending on the exact location.

Patrick Sep 30th, 2004 06:24 AM

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here, but how much time have you spent in New York? I certainly wouldn't make any purchase or even sign much of a lease until I had been there a little while and had an opportunity to stay in the particular neighborhood for a week or more. I think a temporary housing option for maybe the first month would be one of the wisest "investments" you could make in this entire process, and would be worth much more that the extra money that month's housing would cost you.

jlents Sep 30th, 2004 07:08 AM

I see what you're saying, how would I go about staying on staten island temporarily. I've been everywhere else in NYC besides the bronx. I've stayed all over, except i've always been there either business(jewelry) or vacation. I see your point, so I ask you this, if there were 5 places in NYC that you were to stay at for a trial run, where would it be. This is open to anyone. Exacts would be nice, (ie. great kills, clove lakes Staten Island..etc or bay ridge, flatlands, marine park brooklyn...etc?) THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

mclaurie Sep 30th, 2004 03:38 PM

I totally agree with Patrick. I think the point is not where I would chose to stay for a trial run. The point is where would <i>you</i> choose to stay.

I have always believed it's a mistake to buy immediately in a new location. No matter how much research you do beforehand, it's never enough.

A regular poster here, Scarlett, (who happens to be travelling right now) lived in NYC for years and recently moved to Jacksonville Fla. She recently mentioned that had she lived in Jacksonville for a while, or done more research, she probably would have picked a different location.

While I agree it makes more financial sense to buy rather than rent, I feel strongly that you should not rush into a purchase in an unfamiliar town without first living here. Take a year rental (or maybe rent with an option to buy if you see something you really like). You just never know whether what you might buy could wind up to be not where you want to be.

nytraveler Sep 30th, 2004 04:23 PM

Without kowing your specifics its hard to make recos.

How many of you are there and how large a place do you need//want? (Are you single and want access to nightlife - or are schools important???)

Where will you be working? - so what transport will be convenient for you? (assume its Manhattan - but downtown vs midtown makes a huge difference - as can east vs west side).

what is your budget range?

What type of housing are you looking for? New? Traditional? Walk-up? Elevator? (Will you be happy in an 1890's 5th floor walk-up?)

What kind of neighborhood do you want (and can you afford)? Established? Transitional?

Without a lot more info its not really possible to even make recos to investigate.

Sandra_NH Sep 30th, 2004 04:59 PM

If you will be working within walking distance of Penn Station, consider a neighborhood along the LIRR route.

For example Penn Station to Kew Gardens takes 18 minutes on the LIRR, about 45 minutes on the E train, once it comes.

Like the SI ferry, LIRR is 24/7, off peak is less frequent.