Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

US trip, 2 sets grandparents, wide range of interests -- please help

Old Jun 10th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help! We'll be traveling in late July with three generations . Age ranges from 12 to 72, interest ranges from outdoor adventure to history to evening activities. Honestly, the easier the trip - something guided and all-inclusive or very well planned out - the more smoothly our vacation will go. Does anyone know of any such small tours that are less than $1,000 a person for 5 nights?

A few years ago we had an amazing time traveling through CR and the entire trip for 8 (activities included) cost us about $10.000. However, now, the passport is an issue. We're open to going anywhere you don't need a passport. But, I am spending hours trying to focus on one area. Hawaii? Wyoming? Pacific Northwest? USVI? Charleston and area? Southwest? Any thoughts? Any amazing deals you have come across?
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 04:48 AM

My first thought was indeed doing the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone parks, especially since I once took my parents on a similar trip a decade ago with our two daughters. We arranged white-water rafting and "slow" rafting trips, did a lot of day and evening ranger talks and/or hikes, did campfire dinners and so on. I don't know about the price range today at all, though.

The other thing that came to mind was to go to the Charleston area, so it was funny to see that mentioned. We used to plop down on Kiawah Island, where the biking etc was good for the fit folks. We'd interrupt biking and beach time to tour historical sights around Charleston (everything from plantations to city house tours to Civil War sites). Went crabbing a lot. Rent one big house and have a couple of cars available and you're good to go.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'll explore both of these options further. All other suggestions still welcome.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 05:26 AM

I would look at Hawaii.

My inlaws and my parents (70s and 80s) have gotten very heat intolerant as they've aged and the humidity especially really zaps their energy.

I would definitely stay away from Charleston proper. While it is cooler out on the barrier islands (Sullivans, IOP, Johns, Edisto, Kiawah, Seabrook, Folly) it doesn't cool down at night at all. Being that the ocean temps will be a constant 85 degrees, it will keep the air temps at least that in the evening. There are days in July and August that my outdoor thermometer will read 95 degrees at midnight and 125 during the day with the heat index.

Otherwise, I'm the biggest Charleston fan on Fodors.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 05:29 AM

What about a cruise? I personally hate the idea but several people I know who traveled with large extended family have done it and said it worked great with activities for everyone and not a lot of packing and unpacking. How about an Alaskan cruise? http://www.cruisecritic.com/bargains...fm?NewsID=8099
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 05:39 AM

I also think Charleston will give you the variety you seek, & no tours necessary. Rent a house on one of the islands & go from there...lots of helpful posts on here as well.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 05:54 AM
cd

I agree with a cruise. I would think it perfect for a large family with different interests and activity levels. When it comes to the shore excursions, each could choose according to their interests, everyone does not have to go on the same excursion, you will all have dinner together with lots to share. You could chose, Alaska or the Carribbean with your budget, maybe even Hawaii.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:39 AM

There are some amazing cruise deals for this summer. A cruise works well for the multigenerational trip.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:47 AM

A cruise - for those who seek to be trapped on a boat w/a bunch of drunks AND your relatives....lol
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:58 AM
cd

SAnParis2, I know your comment was said in jest, but had to respond. We've been on 7 or 8 cruises and never once had a bunch of drunks. I think a lot depends on the quality of cruise. Also,the price for drinks is way to high to be drinking all the time. We always had cocktails before dinner and a bottle of wine with dinner but you don't get drunk on that.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 07:00 AM

We took 35 family members on a cruise for my 40th and husbands 50th and never encountered drunks.

It worked well because our age ranges were infant to 80 years old. We also had dinner together every night.

Doubtful my husband and I would cruise just the two of us but it is perfect for groups.

Alaska, Canada, Bermuda.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

I would love to do a cruise for this kind of situation. However, one of the grandparents does not have a passport. A cruise advisor told me that even for Alaska you need to stop in Canada. Hawaii seems to be an option. However, I think that that might not a great way to see Hawaii. Does anyone know something more about this?
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
1) You have plenty of time to get a passport by late July. They are only taking 2-3 weeks right now to process -- and even less w/ expedited service.

2) I'd NOT go to Charleston. It is a great place to visit. But in summer it is hot and HUMID.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Okay, I'm convinced I should avoid Charleston. Perhaps some spring break.

The problem with the passport is that one grandparent has a green card but is in the process of getting US citizenship, so he can't leave the US.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Oh - that makes a huge difference.

Much of the Southwest will be very hot too (though as humid). I'd maybe look at renting a large home along the Oregon coast. There is lots to see/do plus amazing scenery.

Or - How about a mississippi riverboat cruise? Though I think they may run a bit over your budget.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 10:15 AM

to clarify - the green card status makes a huge difference . . . .
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 11:46 AM

How about either Colorado or the coast of Maine? Rocky Mt. NP or Acadia NP both have beautiful scenery, activities for the kids and won't be too hot and humid for the old folks. There are several threads here with suggestions for places to stay in both areas.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

I'll check these out. I am just so concerned about things being complicated unless we have a set agenda. Does anyone know of reasonably priced intimate tours?

Here's one thing I've found, but I'm still not quite sure epicsummer.com

Thoughts?

Off to research more of your wonderful suggestions
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Any opinions on the Wintergreen Resort in Virginia?
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Okay. I think I have decided on North Lake Tahoe. The North-Star resort seems to have great new condos. I guess I should start posting on the Nevada board,

Thanks for all the help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -