Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Business trip to NYC with young kids and mother in law!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband has a convention at the Hilton New York in December. I am contemplating going with him along with our 2 young sons (1 yr. and 2 1/2 yrs.)

My mom will hopefully join us so I can enjoy some of the nightlife and she can enjoy her grandkids!

That being said, we need a hotel fairly close (walking distance) to the convention center (1335 Ave of Americas), lots of space (suite or adjacent rooms), and cribs. Price under $300 preferable.

My husband booked a suite at the Ameritania- after doing a search on this site it sounds either wonderful to downright scary. Any comments? How about the Roger Smith (501 Lexington Ave.)?

The Hilton was over $400 a night.

Any other comments on fun things to do with toddlers would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 03:14 PM
uuhhhh

"business trip....young kids....mother in law" all in the same phrase......yikes!

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 04:42 PM

The Roger Williams is quite a distance from the Hilton. Have you tried calling directly and ask for the consierge and explain what you need and that it's a group rate, etc.

Secondly, it is going to be COLD here in December, so bring lots of clothing to layer up or down with the temps. A heavy coat is necessary, hat, scarf and gloves.

Thirdly it is the holiday season, so the city will be all dolled up with decorations and lights. A must see is the Met Museum to see the BIG christmas tree there and of course Rock Center for the HUGE tree there.

The American Museum of Natural History might be of interest to the older child a few fun exhibits for little ones.

LOTS of restaurants in that area so you won't have to go far and you are walkable to Times Square.

IF the Hilton can't help, please let me know and I can make a call to the PR director to see what can be done.

There are also hotels in the Times Square area that are suites, like the Doubletree. Times Square to the Hilton is a short walk.

Hope this helps a bit, have a great time while you are here. I'd meet you for tea if you like. There are some nice places in the city for high tea and it's a favorite to do of mine.

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 04:32 AM

We've had success at the Parker Meridien. They've got a pool, cartoons in the elevator and a fun little hamburger stand just off the lobby.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 04:42 AM

I think at that age, the kids are a bit young even for the Natural History museum. The Children's Museum of Manhattan, on the upper west side is just right (if it's still there, my kids outgrew that years ago). The Doubletree TS is a good possibility. All their rooms are suites, with little refridgerator, microwave, sink and a even some dishes.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 04:57 AM

Try looking at the Gorham Hotel. It's not far from the Hilton & people on this board like it. I think I recall rooms have kitchenettes which could be handy with kids. The Warwick is also very close to the Hilton as is le Parker Meridien already mentioned.