Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Business trip to Beaverton Oregon need help. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/business-trip-to-beaverton-oregon-need-help-834032/)

ehovis Apr 3rd, 2010 01:43 PM

Business trip to Beaverton Oregon need help.

Howdy.... Hubby is going to Beaverton, and wanted me to ask for
any suggestions on restaurants, he is staying at Homewood Suites,
on Beaverton Court. Also he would love to drive somewhere in
the evenings to see something interesting. He heard there was
a gorge nearby. He loves nature, or the unusual.
Thanks guys!!!!!

pdxlinda Apr 3rd, 2010 01:58 PM

I have lived in the Beav for over 20 years. Re restaurants, here are a few of our favorites:

Mingo's Beaverton (Italian)
Jin Wah (Chinese/Vietnamese)
Pastina Pastaria (by Cedar Hills Shopping Mall)
Gustav's (by Washington Square)
Cheesecake Factory (by Washington Square)

The Columbia Gorge is a 60-minute scenic drive from Beaverton. He may want to make a stop in Hood River where they have a bunch of nice restaurants including several microbreweries.

Hope this helps.

Fodorite018 Apr 3rd, 2010 02:02 PM

This hotel is on the far west side of Beaverton. Not an exciting area really, but if he is there for work that doesn't matter too much. The Gorge is east of Portland, and from the hotel it would be a good hour or so away, not counting any rush hour traffic. It is a stunning area! He could go into downtown Portland as well.

Fodorite018 Apr 3rd, 2010 02:07 PM

Sorry, I missed the restaurant request. Nonna Emilias is a great place, and not horribly far from the hotel. It is at 170th and Canyon (TV HWY). Another place closer to his hotel is the McMenamins Cornelius Pass Roadhouse in Hillsboro (which is extremely close to the hotel) or the Grand Lodge in Forest Grove. In downtown Beaverton in The Round, Typhoon is quite good.

Andrew Apr 3rd, 2010 03:32 PM

Another nice Italian restaurant in Beaverton (this is downtown Beaverton, though) is Giovanni's, 12390 SW Broadway St. Haven't been there in a couple of years but it was quite good when I used to frequent it. Nonna Emilia's is great too - haven't actually been to the restaurant in about ten years but recently had some catered food from Nonna's - yum! Huge portions, though - it's almost too much food with an entre...

Beaverton really isn't that far from downtown Portland, where things are really going on (no offense to Beaverton). If it's rainy, Powell's Books is a great choice if he likes books. The main (huge, city block) store is in the Pearl District, plus there's a smaller store at Cedar Hills Crossing in Beaverton. If he likes movies, consider a movie at a McMenamins theatre/pub like the Mission Theatre in NW Portland (drink beer, get dinner, watch a 2nd-run movie for cheap). Or try Cinema 21 in NW for an art house film (also sells alcohol).

If he gets some nicer weather, in Portland tell him to go up to Washington Park. The International Rose Test Garden there is not in bloom yet but still worth a look (I was there this week showing a visitor the area). From the grounds of nearby Pittock Mansion, he can get great views of downtown Portland and (on clear days) Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens.

Fodorite018 Apr 3rd, 2010 05:30 PM

Andrew--I agree, Giovannis is very good. That and Nonna Emilias have been around for forever, which is a good sign;)

ehovis Apr 6th, 2010 06:19 PM

Thank you so much, my husband printed your entries, and him and
his partner will be trying out a couple of your suggestions.
You have really helped!
THANKS!!!!!!!!!