Business Retreat For Team Of 20 In Southeast?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Arabella

Business Retreat For Team Of 20 In Southeast?

Need some creative ideas. I'm planning a two-day business retreat (one day for recreation and one day for a meeting) for 20 people (active, in their 20s and 30s) in the Southeast. Currently thinking about staying at Hard Rock and doing Universal Islands of Adventure.

Any ideas?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 09:51 AM
ncgrrl

How about white water rafting as the day of recreation. Everyone in the raft working towards a common goal. I know someone who went with a work group to near Asheville and they did the rafting. The work group still talks about it years later.

Williamsburg, Charleston, Savannah for history (unless it's the humid season).

Atlanta Braves (or another SE basked team) baseball game?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 11:05 AM
chuck

Arabella,

back in my corporate life, our company held a two-day strategic planning session at the Broyhill Inn & Conference Center near Boone NC. Given possibilities such as Las Vegas or Orlando, I wasn't feeling much anticipation. And while Boone is certainly not comparable to those cities, our session was a great success.

There's something about the mountains that fosters contemplation and strategic thinking--or it seemed to for us. Anyway, as you probably know, there is some great hiking in the area. And since I agree with ncgrrl about rafting as a good form of group recreation, I believe there are rafting possibilities relatively near Boone (e.g., New River).

If your retreat is in the Summer, the NC mountains would be an even bigger plus--great way to beat the heat and humidity.

The website for the Inn is www.broyhillinn.com. Hope this helps some.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Connie

An ex-student of mine, Jeremy, is in sales at Amelia Island Plantation off the coast of Florida close to Jacksonville.

It has fabulous golf courses if that is something your group enjoys.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:20 PM
me

Gotta be a bunch of options for you at Hilton Head.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:54 AM
RB

Two suggestions: Evergreen Conference Center (operated by Marriott) at Stone Mountain Park at Atlanta- golfing, hiking, plus handy to the city (Braves at Turner Field is a good outing). Also Elizabeth Pointe Lodge at Amelia Island has a meeting facility that would be perfect for your group size. As other poster noted, good golf in that area, plus nice beach and good access from JAX airport. Hope this helps.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 05:10 AM
dgater

I agree with the person who mentioned Amelia Island on the Florida coast. I hosted a meeting there of about 60 people from all over the country and they absolutely loved it. Not only are there great meeting facilities (ours was a Amelia Island Plantation), a beautiful beach, golf, and tennis - there are lots of opportunities for outdoor activities like canoing, kayaking, and biking. Plus, easy access from Jax airport.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 05:16 AM
lisa

Callaway Gardens in GA. They have a lovely conference center, beautiful biking and hiking paths, great gardens, golf, etc.