Business Class on Delta-for international travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2004, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know, I know. This is the US board, but I'd like some info from a seasoned Fodorite who has flown internationally using Delta in business class. I've booked a 20th anniversary trip to Europe for my wife and I on Delta in business class. While talking with someone at ORD Friday, he mentioned that business class on Delta is no longer all that different than coach. He claimed that it all changed after Delta realigned their seats a couple of years ago. I remembered the American realignment but he was adamant that it was Delta. Long story short, can anyone tell me what amenities we'll enjoy in business class on Delta that separate it from coach?

I tried getting info on Delta's web site and am sure it is there, but I could not find where on that web site I should look. I know Northwest, Continental and Cathay Pacific's web sites almost from memory but struck out on Delta's. I called Delta's 800 international desk and got 2 answers---"we don't have business class to Vencie", she couldn't explain why I have a ticket in business class (at a list price that's $5200 more than coach!) and "I think it's the same as first class except your seat doesn't recline all the way".

I know it's better than coach but don't know how. Anyone?
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 10:56 AM

Do you know about the website seatguru.com? If you know what aircraft equipment they'll be using, this website will show you the seat configuration and should also tell you things like seat pitch.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 11:02 AM

Can't tell you what amenities you'll enjoy inflight but a nice perk to Biz class is that you'll be given expedited immigration passes. Instead of having to wait in long immigration and customs lines, you'll be able to use the fast track immigration lane.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 11:05 AM

I can't speak for Delta as I fly American. But the usual thing is that people who say "you can't tell the difference" have never flown Business Class. I've heard the same thing about American Airlines International, and trust me -- there is NO comparison between the two.
Surely someone will have a more definitive answer, but with the great difference in price between the two classes it is impossible to think that there is "little or no" difference.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 11:10 AM

Here's the section of their website that describes the service

http://www.delta.com/prog_serv/biz_elite/index.jsp

Once you've read the generalities you cab click on the left side for specific info on food, seats, lounges etc.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 01:31 PM

Delta flies 2-class planes to Europe. If you're flying their thrice-weekly JFK-VCE flights, you'll be on their 767-300 with a 2-2-2 seating in BusinessElite.

It's not the most luxurious or spacious business class product out there, with only 18.5" width and 60" pitch. Continental's BusinessFirst has wider and better seats in a 2-1-2 seating on their 767s or 2-2-2 on the much wider on their 777s. Similar with NW's World Business Class on their DC-10 and 330s.

Having said that, DL's seats should be comparable to business class seats on AA, UA, and most European Airlines.

As noted again and again here, DL's phone agents are some of the worst in the industry, outsourced or not. They don't seem to less about their company's products than many of us here.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 03:45 PM
mp

try www.flyertalk.com - lotsa info there
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I used the info above and went to seatguru--a new site for me! Great information all the way around. We fly ATL to VCE, so it's a 767-300. I had not heard about the expedited immigration info--that's a treat all by itself. Thanks Fodorites!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:50 AM

The only airports I know of having Fasttrack(first and business class) immigration are the 2 in London. There is no such thing here in the States and I don't know about FCO.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:14 AM
Dan

Are you redeeming Sky Miles for this trip, RandyK? If so, you may able to book the trip on Continental since they are now a Delta partner! I've flown both airlines in business class and definitely prefer CO.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 09:35 AM

DL is the only airline that flies non-stop from the US to VCE.

But, it's only from JFK. Not from ATL. So, you'll need to change plane at least once anyways.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 10:01 AM

We flew Delta business class to Europe this summer. There may be nicer first class/business class seats on other airlines but I thought the Delta flight was very nice. It was nothing like coach- either domestic or international. Your info is correct, there are only 2 classes on Delta to Europe- business and coach. In business class, we had reclining seats (2 seats across, so it's 2-2-2), multicourse meals (with several entree choices) with wine, champagne on takeoff, individual video monitors with several channels, plenty of legroom, the little bags with toothbrush and toothpaste, socks, eye shades, and attentive flight attendants, etc. I think your wife will love it. I did!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 11:50 AM

I think the general concensus is that Delta's Business Elite service is considered average amongst transoceanic business class products of U.S. carriers. In other words, not the best and not the worst. By the way DL has some good I class fares to Europe, around $2100 roundtrip if you can book 50 days in advance and stay over a minimum of 7 days. I was planning to buy M fares and upgrade with miles but for the $500 difference, it made more sense just to buy the business class ticket.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:56 PM

Actually, from a little search, I find that on the ATL-VCE market, DL/NW/CO/KL, plus Iberia, all have about $2,100 business class fares. Among those 5, CO has the best business class product, but that'd require two stops, instead of just one on the other airlines.

You can earn the same 150% Skymiles on CO or NW, just like on DL. But CO/NW tickets will likely use KLM for AMS-VCE, and you can't earn Skymiles on that leg.