Search

Touching moment aboard flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2008, 09:52 AM
cfc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touching moment aboard flight

Know this has been done by many others already, but want to note what I saw aboard AA 558 from Ontario (CA) to Dallas and remind others about the idea:

It was a 5 am check-in for a 6 am flight and we were glad we'd been forced by circumstance to use miles to upgrade to First Class -- bleary-eyed and without breakfast as we were. Once we got settled, however, we noticed a certain low-level hub-bub among the attendants and a couple of other 1st cl. passengers. "We'll see, wait til coach is all boarded, but probably we can."

I wondered what additional privilege these two were after or what problem they possibly could be having.

Soon, however, I saw them gather their belongings and head back to coach, and two service men in fatigues came forward from coach to take their seats in First.

I looked back into coach and saw more than one wet eye among the passengers watching all this.

I was a little ashamed of myself for not thinking of it and for having suspicions about what was going on, but I was SO proud of the two passengers for their offer.

Something to keep in mind if you're lucky enough to be traveling in first any time soon.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:38 AM

What a lovely gesture from those passengers.

Thanks for the post and reminder to your fellow travelers.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 04:29 PM

Cfc, that story brings tears to my eyes. Bless those 1st class passengers. Really, this has me teary eyed.

Not to highjack your thread but if any of you live around a military base as I do..keep an eye out for military personnel grocery shopping. I can't every grocery shopping trip but I try to at a minimum of at least once a month get in line behind one of our Travis AFB people. I ask them if they are stationed at Travis AFB and of course they always say (sometimes with a wary eye) "yes". I than ask them if they will allow me to treat them to their purchases. They are always on such tight budgets. I did this the other night. It turned out to be a young fellow who just returned from his 3rd duty in Iraq just a few days before. It is not just the money, it is letting them know there service to their country is truly respected (regardless of how we feel about our administration) and that we care about them. He got tears in his eyes. We shook hands, sometimes there are hugs.

I am not posting this to "brag" not at all..but to remind everyone that has the opportunity to do something for our troops when possible that it is a good way to let our troops know they are cared about. As the beautiful story cfc shared with us. Thank you for your thread cfc.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Nice story. I had dinner once with former military, now merrill lynch broker. The wife had told me when they were stationed in Hawaii, the families could not afford diapers for their kids because everything was so expensive. He was a general and so they lived better than most. She said she regularly purchased diapers in bulk and would hand them out to the families. It is such a shame that our own military can't afford food and basic needs sometimes. Thanks loveitaly for doing what you do. I am sure it makes a difference.
And thanks cfc. I always get chills when I see the commercial of the military walking through a US airport and people clap for them. No matter how we all feel about war and Iraq, it is important to let the people who are representing us know that we thank them for their sacrifices.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 08:53 PM

Tears in my eyes too:txs cfc.
I am glad to hear of nice people & the nice things others do for our service men and woman.

2 other suggetios:
many military facilities have Fisher Houses--like Ronald McDonald only for service people and families to stay while getting care.

Tey have a "wish" list or you could do something as simple as cooking dinner for the house.

Most airlines will allow you to doante you FF miles to the military so they can go fly home once they are stateside or if injured their families and fly to them..
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 09:33 PM

Yes, 1JAR we have a Fisher House here also. And I never fly with United anymore but I still get FF miles through my Safeway card. I call United once a year and donate those miles to our military people.

Hi girlonthego, my BIL was a General and stationed at many bases including Hickman. My SIL also did as your broker/friend's wife did. Our military families are on such limited budgets it is very difficult for them to meet their daily needs. My SIL use to buy baby clothing, blankets etc., for enlisted families that were expecting a baby. And yes, diapers.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 02:17 AM

what a great incident, story and suggestions.

living overseas i do not have the opportunity to witness much positive reinforcement.

definitely VERY touching.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 08:26 AM
HKP

Very touching -- thanks, cfc.

Have heard that Red Carpet, Ambassadors Club, etc. have opened their doors to service personnel -- anyone observed anything like that?
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Fisher House has an online donor page at www.fisherhouse.org. www.woundedwarriorproject.org is another place for your charity dollars.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 11:39 AM

The contrast between the way US service people and British ones are viewed by their own civilians is remarkable. Something like the OP's story is unimaginable here in the UK. An unpopular conflict is the troops' fault apparently.

One of the most startling things that has ever happened to me in 30+ years of (British) service occurred when I was part of an aircraft crew checking into a hotel in Salt Lake City a couple of years ago. As I was heading for the elevator, a conference group emerged from a meeting room, a gentlemen moved away from from his colleagues, came over to me, and said "thank you for serving" then moved on. He took me completely by surprise. I thank YOU Sir.

Old Jul 27th, 2008, 01:19 PM

Txs Bobmrg for posting link to Fisher House.

Old Jul 27th, 2008, 01:35 PM

What great stories! Thank you, cfc, for such a great thread, and thank you to all of you who have put actions to your words of appreciation. I do not do enough, and this is definitely motivation for me to do more.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 01:58 PM

My daughter is a ticket agent for a major airline in a major airport. She says never charges excess baggage/overweight fees for military passengers and occasionally is able to upgrade them to first class.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM

On our trip back from Hawaii in Oct 2006, there was a young male and female in first class with us [FF tickets for us] - They were in their camo uniforms and were clearly together.

It turns out they were on R&R in Hawaii, which was also their honeymoon as they had just gotten married! The gate agent put them in first class. They were very young and very cute. I hope they made it home safely as they were headed back to duty when we saw them.

Deb