Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Busch Gardens,Hershey Park,Kings Dominion,Water Country USA or Sesame Place?

Busch Gardens,Hershey Park,Kings Dominion,Water Country USA or Sesame Place?

Apr 3rd, 2000, 08:30 AM
kristen

Busch Gardens,Hershey Park,Kings Dominion,Water Country USA or Sesame Place?

We have 4 boys (3,5,7,9) and are planning to visit a theme park during our 3 week vacation out east this summer. The boys are not wild about big rollercoasters. We are wondering which park above has the best attractions for kids their ages? They all love water, so we were thinking maybe a water park would be better?

We also thought maybe we could go to the waterpark in Manassas and then also to Hershey Park, since their admission costs are less. Then we'd be able to do both.

Any suggestions?

Apr 3rd, 2000, 08:58 AM
Liz

With kids as young as yours, I'd lean towards Sesame Place. It's really more like a huge playground so the kids acually do stuff rather that just sit on rides. It isn't just water stuff either. It's been awhile since my son was young enough to go there but I remember it fondly. I remember enjoying it myself.

Apr 3rd, 2000, 09:52 AM
Diane

Busch Gardens is gorgeous, and as an adult, I prefer it. But with your boys so young, I'd recommend Kings Dominion of the two. There is a section of the park specifically for younger kids, and the water park in KD is pretty nice, too. At the same time, Sesame Place may just really be perfect for those little guys!

Apr 3rd, 2000, 10:30 AM
Alicia

Hi,
Definately Kings Dominion. I went there with my cousins (2,7,11,16) and we all had a blast.There is something for everyone.I myself,like Busch Gardens better,but at kings Dominion they have more stuff for kids,and a new edition of a water park. I myself am also 16.

Apr 3rd, 2000, 10:40 AM
Pat

We've been to Sesame Place, and Busch Gardens. We took the kids to Sesame Place when they were probably around
5 and 6. It is great for kids that age.
We went in the Summer and there really was very little waiting in line. If you go, pack a picnic lunch. I'm not sure if it's the same as when we went,
but at the time they had some picnic tables off the parking lot. You could
get out of the park for an hour of peace and you saved a lot on food. Our kids liked Busch Gardens but they were probably around 9 and 10. I think it might not be as good for the little ones. My sister's in-laws live near
Hershey so have gone there frequently
since their kids were small. She highly
recommends it.

Apr 3rd, 2000, 07:31 PM
liz

hi kristin!

Sounds like you have a great trip in mind. Regarding these parks, let me first say i'm prejudiced because i worked at hersheypark for 5 summers (and my brother still works there in the summer) but i've been to all your suggested parks and i must say that HP is the best by far for children your boys' ages. Sesame Place is great, too, for younger children, but HP gives a better overall amusement park experience. You can probably do both, as they're only about 1 1/2 hrs apart.

HP has a wonderful mix of rides and atttractions for all ages, much better than BG and KD. Don't get me wrong, they're both great parks, but their rides tend to skew to the teenage and adult riders. Last time i was at HP they had close to a dozen rides solely for the kids (and I used to work kiddy rides!) so i can state they are numerous and safe. Of the remaining rides, about half are for the older audience (some good coasters!) and half both children and adults can ride.

Also, HP has ZooAmerica, which is a wonderful zoo of north american animals that is included in the admission price, and there are also dolphin shows in the park. Hershey itself is a wonderdful small town with PA dutch country close by and also plenty of outlet shopping if it interests you.

Please e-mail me if you would like to know more about HP and the hershey area.

May 18th, 2000, 04:30 PM
Brooke

I have a friend who wants to go to Hershey Park. I remembered this post not to long ago so I thought I try to get more info. She wanted to know a good place to stay. She was thinking of a package at the Hershey Inn with passes at the park. Is this a good hotel or is there something that may work better or be a better deal. There are 2 families going, one with teenagers and the other one with younger children.

They also wanted to know of any other attractions in the area.

Any suggestions?

May 19th, 2000, 01:05 PM
jkadjf

What is in Hersheypark? Rides? CAndy?

Search this Thread