Bus Vegas to Grand Canyon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking into various possibilities for a trip in May. I notice there are lots of tour buses from Vegas to the Grand Canyon. The ones I have found do a day trip & return you to Vegas the same day. But are there any regular buses, so we can just purchase a bus ticket at Vegas, get off at the canyon & then stay a night or two in lodgings? I couldn't find Grand canyon on the Greyhound schedules list.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Grand Canyon is a bit out of the way and no regularly scheduled buses go there. The nearest bus stop is likely to be in Flagstaff, about 80 miles from Grand Canyon. You would need to rent a car to go from there.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM

You could do a bus tour with overnight stay at the Grand Canyon. This one offers the lodging at one of the lodges inside the park, which is good:

http://grandcanyontourcompany.com/nightbus.htm

You arrive in the afternoon of the first day, and have until mid-afternoon on the following day to spend enjoying the canyon as you like.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:46 AM

There is a train to the canyon running on a regular schedule(yes, it goes to the canyon with the stop very close to Angel lodge) from... I forgot where from but if you Google that train to see where it starts, you may be able to find a bus to that town. Maybe Flagstaff?
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:06 AM

You would really gain a lot of flexibility by renting a car and driving. It would be about 5 hours each way. And definitely stay overnight.

But if you do take a tour or a bus, make sure thay are going to the Grand Canyon National Park South Rim, and NOT to the so-called "west rim", which does not have the views you will be expecting.

www.travelerstogo.com
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM

There's a shuttle service from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon. Google Open Road tours for info if you want to take Greyhound to Flagstaff instead of doing a tour group bus trip.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Too many choices! Thanks everyone. The train goes from Williams. The grandcanyontourcompany looks good. I haven't had enough time yet to check everything else. I think I'll have to take 4 months off.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 04:08 PM

It's wonderful that you will see the Canyon even for a short time. I paid my first visit there last October, and absolutely hope to go again.Few things truly deserve the adjective "awesome"--this is one of them.