Bus travel from NY to Boston?

Jul 23rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Bus travel from NY to Boston?

We originally decided to travel from NY to Boston by train but it was suggested we catch a bus - "large buses and very comfortable seats for a fraction of the train ticket. Just turn up and buy a ticket". China buses were recommended but I read somewhere that they didn't have a good safety record! What other similar buses run the same route? Any recommendations? Think I would be happier pre-purchasing tickets. We will be travelling about 20th August.
Jul 23rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
yk

Stick with megabus or Boltbus.

If you are firm with your travel date, buy your ticket ASAP. The earlier you buy your ticket, the cheaper it is.

I've taken Megabus Boston/NYC r/t twice, and my brother has taken Boltbus once. We have no complaints.

Both Boltbus and Megabus departs from Penn Station in NYC.
Jul 23rd, 2009, 02:58 PM

the China town buses are bare bones. Check out the Limoliner. My neighbor (mature lady) has taken it to Boston. I think it's about $89. Very comfortable leather seats, lunch or breakfast, etc. It leaves from the Hilton on 6th Avenue.
Jul 23rd, 2009, 03:00 PM

Will second yk's advice. Megabus and Bolt Bus are both very good. Greyhound/Peter Pan leaves from Port Authority running the same route and works fine here, too -- they have one advantage over the other two in that you wait inside for these. But Megabus and Bolt Bus can be cheaper depending on how far ahead you buy the ticket.

You are correct that both Fung Wah and Lucky Star have less-than-good reputations.
Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:08 PM

No China buses - not worth the risk. Both companies have had accidents within the past year in Massachusetts due to safety deficiencies.
Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:27 PM

you are out of your mind. there is no amount of money that makes the experience worth it. Take the train. Acela. You get what you pay for. And don't even think about Fung Wah!!!!!
Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM

The limoliner is very, very nice but much more expensive than the other options. I think it will be at least $150 round trip. Personally, I'd just take the Acela.
Jul 23rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Had decided to stay clear of China buses and after a look at some of the reviews for Megabus and Bolt Bus am now having second thoughts about them.

Thanks Gwendolynn - had a look at the Limoliner and was impressed. We will be touching down at JFK after 23 hour trip and one night in NYC before heading off to Boston. Limoliner would be a bonus and worth the extra money. We are only doing a one-way trip to Boston.

Does Limoliner travel from Washington DC to NYC? Again only a one-way trip.

Thanks Wyatt92's for your comment about the train. Think I will also check it out. It was my first option - had read that the scenery along the river is better than you would get if travelling by road and trains don't get stuck in traffic!
Jul 23rd, 2009, 06:18 PM

Thank goodness you've given up on the china town buses - My stepson does those.. but he's basically a backpacker! No Limoliner to DC ... the best bet there is the train. My husband commuted to DC for awhile and eventually found the train to be much better than flying. And.. this was before all the security stuff! People I know who use the Limoliner love it... but are mostly locals traveling w/o a lot of luggage. If you have much baggage the train might be the better option.
Jul 23rd, 2009, 06:57 PM

""had read that the scenery along the river is better than you would get if travelling by road and trains don't get stuck in traffic!""

Such comments usually refer to the Metro North and Amtrak trains that go from NYC north along the Hudson river to Albany. Neither the train to Boston nor the train to Washington travel along the Hudson River.

The scenery between NYC and Washington is particularly unexciting--just modern suburbia. The scenery between NYC and Boston is much more interesting and scenic for certain stretches in Connecticut where the train tracks run along the shore of Long Island Sound.
Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:33 PM

My daughters did a lot of these Bos-NYC bus rides. Greyhound has prices only a bit more than the Chinatown buses, but I'm not sure if it was because they were students. Thes say Bolt, Mega, and Greyhound are all similar. I do like the acela train. Love their quiet car with elec outlets for my Dellpod and computer.
Aug 9th, 2009, 10:27 AM

You guys should check out http://www.busjunction.com
It's a search engine for bus tickets that includes all the major lines like Bolt and Megabus.