Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Bus 561 in Los Angeles (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bus-561-in-los-angeles-275954/)

Anna Nov 26th, 2002 03:35 AM

Bus 561 in Los Angeles

We will be staying in the Doubletree near LAX. We will have at least half a day that we wish like to spend at the Getty Museum. <BR><BR>I'm hopping that some nice person will be able to help me with to figure out how to get there from our hotel. Does bus 561 go to/from our hotel or the airport to the museum? How much does it cost and do we need an exact change?<BR>We will be there on Sunday. What are the hours of operations of this bus on weekend?<BR>How long it takes to travel to the musum from our hotl?<BR>Anna from Krakow

mary Nov 26th, 2002 04:54 AM

Take the hotel shuttle back to LAX, and tell the driver you want to take the LAX SHUTTLE to the TRANSIT CENTER. Its about a mile from LAX. The buses run every few minutes. <BR><BR>At the TRANSIT CENTER, go to Dock 9, and get the 561 Bus (Sylmar/SanFernando). The cost is $1.85 each way, and you will need exact change. The ride is about 40 minutes.<BR>To find out the bus schedule/hours, go to www.mta.net and click on TRIP PLANNER. (LAX - Sepulveda/Sunset), time of day you wish to arrive or depart, and &quot;regular&quot; customer (which will tell you the bus fare), and click submit.

Mary Nov 26th, 2002 05:00 AM

Forgot to mention, on the trip planner you will also click on the day, &quot;Sunday&quot;.<BR>When you return to the transit center, take the shuttle back to LAX, inside the door is usually an elevator to the lower level (arrival area)where you will be able to find a board with all the hotels -- and call for your hotel shuttle. <BR>You may want to check with your hotel upon arrival to verify these directions.

Mary Nov 26th, 2002 05:14 AM

Sorry - for the Trip Planner, the streets are Sepulveda/Getty Center Dr., and not Sunset.<BR>

Anna Nov 26th, 2002 08:47 AM

Thank you Mary for all your help. <BR>I followed your suggestions and printed out everything we will need to get there and back to our hotel.

jt Nov 26th, 2002 12:55 PM

Whoa, whoa! Most LAX hotels are walking distance to route 561 saving you hotel shuttles, then transit ctr shuttles. Look at the city bus shedule and map referred to by the Getty ctr web site.<BR><BR>The route doesn't start or end at the transit center (north of lax) but goes down airport, then century (west of lax), then aviation/imperial (south near doubletree?). Stops are well marked - gosh I'd rather walk a km or two than endlessly wait for shuttles.<BR><BR>On weekdays the 8:45ish bus will get you to Getty at opening time of 10. Very worthwhile to stop at Westwood/UCLA/Santa Monica on way back for which I've extensively described here in the archives. Get a red ticket from bus driver which proves you paid the express rate - he will collect it before getting up on the freeway.

jt Nov 26th, 2002 12:58 PM

of course I meant the Century bus stops being east of LAX. BTW there is a 24 hour subway sandwich store there; almost the only relief from crummy junk food chains or overpriced hotel food.

Joan Nov 27th, 2002 05:42 AM

The DoubleTree Hotel is located on Grand Ave. You can walk to Sepulveda, and take the bus from there, and then transfer to another bus. For details go the www.mta.net trip planner. Starting at Sepulveda/Grand and destination is Sepulveda/Getty Center Dr. It will be a little more direct, and the bus ride will be an hour.

jt Nov 27th, 2002 09:43 AM

For goodness sakes, why add on another bus connection - no wonder Americans are turning into tubby waddlers! This hotel looks walking distance to the true termination of the express bus run (aviation/imperial, not the trans ctr).<BR><BR>It only runs every hour or even less on Sun; why throw in the undependable variable of when another bus will show up and whether you'll get off on the right stop or overshooting 5 miles? Walking will be faster and much more certain of arriving on time, in place.<BR><BR>Plug in hotel address into http://maps.yahoo.com/ and correlate to pdf file from city bus web site (not just a travel &quot;planner&quot;).

Annie Nov 27th, 2002 12:41 PM

JT what are you talking about?<BR>Please read Anna's post again. She is from Krakow, Poland.

jt Nov 27th, 2002 03:29 PM

Annie, read the whole thread again. I'm trying to rescue readers like Anna from the advice of Mary and Joan (if they are in fact different people). Americans are so unused to using mass transit that they don't use common sense with it. The search engine they use is leading things astray with an assumption you want to use the closest bus stop, even if it makes the overall journey painfully complex.

Use Transit Nov 27th, 2002 08:54 PM

Annie - I uderstood it, why didn't you? jt was commenting about the lame transit advice offered by Americans. He was not saying Anna is American. jt is correct - especially in LA. It is a serious mistake to hope bus connections work as expected in the mad LA traffic. Getting on the bus at the beginning of the route and not having to transfer is the way to go.

Annie Nov 28th, 2002 06:50 AM

JT I would like to appologize.<BR><BR>I am sorry JT but when I read your suggestion it wasn't clear how to do it. As a person who never been to LA I am also interested in transportation from one of the hotels near the airport to Getty. My husband and are hikers and we like to walk wherever we have an opportunity so walking to some bus is not an issue for us. <BR>You see Mary's recommendation seems so simple and then you came with more complecated (or maybe simpler) idea.<BR>For someone who never been to LA I feel a little lost here.<BR>Thanks for trying help people like myself.

xyz Nov 28th, 2002 10:48 AM

jt ([email protected])<BR>Date: 11/26/2002, 04:58 pm<BR>Message: of course I meant the Century bus stops being east of LAX. BTW there is a 24 hour subway sandwich store there; almost the only relief from crummy junk food chains or overpriced hotel food.<BR><BR>Subway is probably the worst sandwich chain around. Processed food galore and tasteless no less.