Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Burbank to SLO (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/burbank-to-slo-367462/)

Lolla May 26th, 2008 03:58 AM

Burbank to SLO

I have a wedding to attend in SLO in October. I need to know the amount of time it will take to drive from the Burbank Airport to SLO. Also, what about the weather during late October? Any great places to eat, drink, or view on the way?
Thanks so much for the help, Lolla

xkenx May 26th, 2008 06:40 AM

Late October is usually still good weather. If traffic is very light, and no stops, figure as little as 3 1/2 hours. Timas add up from there. Route 101 is direct and goes along the ocean in places for nice views. With plenty of time, a stop in Santa Barbara could be nice.

easytraveler May 26th, 2008 06:55 AM

Traffic will be bad in Santa Barbara during peak traffic hours.

How much time you need will depend on what time of day you will be driving to SLO.

mlgb May 26th, 2008 07:40 AM

Yes, allow 4 hours actual driving time to account for any backups around Santa Barbara.

Only a slight chance of rain in October and the weather should be nice.

Los Olivos Cafe in the little town of Los Olivos is open for lunch.

You'll be in "Sideways" wine country.

Jean May 26th, 2008 01:31 PM

What day of the week is this drive? What time of the day would you begin the drive?

Lolla May 26th, 2008 05:50 PM

I will be driving from Burbank to SLO on a Thursday. What are my chances of making at 9:30 am flight out of Burbank on Sunday - what time will I have to leave SLO?

Just not sure of the drive time in California!

Lolla

janisj May 26th, 2008 05:59 PM

for your 0930 return flight you'll want to be in Burbank by 7:30 at the latest -- to allow time to return your rental car. That means leaving SLO by 4 a.m..

I'd stay the night near Burbank instead. You can leave SLO in the early evening (after dinner) so you really won't lose any useful "SLO/coast time"

jamesr3939 May 27th, 2008 06:46 PM

October weather will be some of the best for that location. If outside wedding then you will want to dress a little on the warm side as it will be cool at night.

If you have time, I would spend the night before my flight in Burbank. If the wedding is the day before than I guess that wouldn't be an option.

Sunday AM from SLO to Burbank should be quick with no traffic.

Thursday, depending on what time you get into Burbank can take any where from 4 hours to 4 days.

If you can get out of the airport and headed north 3:00 PM you will make decent time. If after 3:00 PM it will take you forever.

If you are getting into Burbank after 3:00 PM you might want to consider taking I-5 north to Hwy 58 and then 58 to 101.

I know it seems longer, but time wise it would be faster. Burbank is on the north end of the LA area and it doesn't take long, once you hit I-5 to get out of the really bad traffic.

If you try to take Hwy 101 north you will be in really bad traffic all the way past Santa Barbara.

Looking at the map another route, that I have not taken, but somebody might know about it.

Is to take I-5 from Burbank to Hwy 166 west to Hwy 101.

Burbank is a very easy airport to get around in. The rental car drop off is a short walk to the terminal and the security check in is quick. I would say 90 min prior to flight time would work.

slogal May 30th, 2008 02:13 PM

Highway 58 is a beautiful country drive - but it will take you forever and a day! Hwy 166 is more direct if you decide you want to try I5. 101 really isn't bad unless you hit rush hour. Try to be in SLO for Thursday Night Farmer's Market. Great produce, bands, street food and much more.

Lolla Oct 16th, 2008 05:38 PM

Could anyone suggest a place for lunch in Santa Barbara, with easy on and off access from the highway??

Time is quickly approaching!

Thanks, L

Guenmai Oct 17th, 2008 07:11 PM

What is SLO? I think I've missed something here. I've lived here over 45 years, but that one has flown right over my head. Happy Travels!

janisj Oct 17th, 2008 08:14 PM

San Luis Obispo . . . . .

Guenmai Oct 18th, 2008 07:51 AM

Thanks. It just didn't cross my mind and I racked my brain on that one. Happy Travels!