Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Burbank/L.A. trip in January - tours/restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/burbank-l-a-trip-in-january-tours-restaurants-377456/)

ek Nov 19th, 2003 06:00 AM

Burbank/L.A. trip in January - tours/restaurants

Hi,
My brother and I are going to L.A. for the first time this January (we're both in our 20s - he will be staying out there for the spring semester). We're staying in Burbank. We'll have a car but I'd like to take a quick sightseeing tour at the start of our trip. We don't care so much about "celebrity" tours; we just want an overview of the main areas and sights - at an affordable price. Any suggestions?

Also, can anyone suggest moderately priced restaurants in the Burbank area?

Deborah Nov 19th, 2003 08:19 AM

I enjoy going to the Elephant Bar near the Media Center. In that area there is also Gordon Biersch, BJ's, Islands, California Pizza Kitchen, Crocodile Cafe, Market City Caffe and Mi Piace.

Jun20 Nov 19th, 2003 11:50 AM

Since you will have car, a Thomas Guide for Los Angeles and Orange Counties is a street guide that includes every street in the two counties. They can be purchased at any book store/discount store or on Amazon for about $25. Very popular and handy guide.

Sightseeing tours will be expensive, and if you have a car - you can find your way to the Red Line in North Hollywood on Lankershim Blvd. (The parking lot is usually full, and you can park a block south for approx. $4 day.) Take the Red Line ($1.35) one stop to Universal City, and do the City Walk (free). Get back on the Red Line, and off at Hollywood and Highland to the Chinese Theater, Walk of Fame, Kodak Theatre, etc., and then back on downtown. They run very frequently. And you can hit many sights/places within the city of LA by rail. www.mta.net

Sightseeing tours are found near Chinese Theater, Hollywood and Highland, or by the Pantages at Hollywood and Vine.

For the beach, you will have to drive. After a few days, you'll know your way around.

As for restaurants in Burbank - they have all the chains!

clarkgriswold Nov 19th, 2003 01:56 PM

Take a Citybus tour...print out map and info at mta.net (trip planner).

Drive to Universal Studios (free parking across the street) where you can hop the subway down to Hollywood/Highland to see the Walk of Fame, Chinese Theatre etc. With your free bus transfer, you can walk to Sunset Blvd and in front of Burger King catch the 2 bus west to Beverly Hills, Westwood/UCLA. After exploring you can catch a bus out to the ocean, or take the 561 north to the Getty Center (great view of LA -and free!). The 561 north will then take you over the Santa Monica Mtns into "the valley" where you can catch an eastbound bus on Ventura Blvd back to Universal.

This tour will take all day and into the evening but you will get a great overview of the area at a cheap price. And you'll meet some nutty L.A. characters on the buses I'm sure.

Eating in Burbank:
Eat n Park on Victory for Omelets

Empire Shopping Center for Olive Garden, Outback , Wendy's, Krispy Kreme, Sharky's Tex Mex and the fabulous L&L Hawaiian Barbecue.

Central Batting Cages (BatCave) for pizza.

In n Out Burger!!!

lenleigh Nov 19th, 2003 06:18 PM

There is a Bob's Big Boy in Burbank, maybe a mile away from NBC Studios. We ate there a couple times while in that area.

ek Nov 22nd, 2003 07:06 AM

thanks to all for the great tips!