Bulky or Slim? I Can't Decide!

Aug 28th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Bulky or Slim? I Can't Decide!

Ok, so I lost my digital camera on my last trip. It was slightly bulky hp camera, 5 megapixels, 3x optical zoom...I think it was 6 digital zoom, but can't be sure.

So, I am in the market for a new camera. I tried my friend's nikon model s6 and really loved it. it is 6.1 megapixels, 3x optical zoom and I really like the features

but i found also the panasonic model dmc-tz1 and kodak model z612 that are between 10-12 megapixels, 3x or more optical zoom and the same price of around 300-350...but they are a lot bulkier.

I mainly use my digital cam for when I travel and the slimness of the nikon really attracts me, but the zoom power of the others is really tempting me as well.

sigh....I can't decide!
Aug 28th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much!
Aug 28th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Comparing the S6 to the two other models is like comparing apples and potatos.

The S6 is a super compact, 3x optical. The other two are similar in resolution (5 and 6 MP). But the major difference is in the lense. Both of these are 10x or more optical zooms (12x in the Kodak). Also, the lenses are a bit faster.

So, the real question that you have to ask yourself is do you need/want a 10x optical zoom. 10x is great if you're taking wildlife pics from a distance, but for landscapes and typical family shots, it's overkill.

The larger cameras also have optical image stabilization.
Aug 28th, 2006, 04:28 PM

I am sorry ilovetotravel but I just had to share this with you..when I read your title before I clicked on your thread I thought it was a poster asking advice if they were overweight or not, lol!
Aug 28th, 2006, 04:34 PM

If you are mainly using the camera for travel photos...I'd go with slim.

I wanted one of those for my birthday...a nice, new slim point and shoot digital. Well DH, bless his heart...got me a SLR digital that is anything but slim or small. But I really wanted to try to learn to take photos that were more professional in quality, so that is what I got. I love the camera, but it is big and heavy. And I don't know if I am even going to take it to Hawaii when we go in October for fear of not being able to secure it.

I realize you bulky may not be the same as mine; just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Aug 28th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Check 'Breaking News' @ Steve's Digicam site. There are some models coming out soon (Canon as I remember) with both the slimness and the ultrazoom.

I bought the Sony DMZ blah, blah, blah w/ 12X optical zoom (look for optical, not digital) last summer for my trip to Canadian Rockies. I wish I had put my money in the Rebel XT instead. This particular one (Steve doesn't tell you this) has a view screen that is totally useless in bright sun. Just have to aim, shoot and pray!
Aug 28th, 2006, 05:47 PM

So sorry about the camera.

Take a look at www.dpreview.com for camera reviews and www.betterphoto.com has a really nice "camera calculator" to help select your optimal camera (look under resources for calculators).

Couple things to remember:

1. Megapixels isn't the be all end all. Anything over 5mp will give you quality 8x10s and smaller.

2. Ignore digital zooms. Basically, they just digital enlarge the image, not bring you closer. You can do just as well, if not better, with basic photo editing software.

3. Feel the cameras and try out the buttons, etc. Some supercompacts are easier to use than some larger bulky cameras - even though there buttons are smaller.

4. If you're not in a huge rush to replace your camera, wait until the holidays. You will find some great sales and there will be a few new choices out by then. However, once you find a camera you like, don't "hold out" because something better might come out.

I've read some not so great comments on the Nikon. You might try the Canon Powershot A95. It's still pretty small and has a flip-out LCD - that's a great feature. It's also a 3x optical zoom.

If you want more optical zoom, you're going to start getting bulky. The Canon Powershot S2IS is 10x, but it's much deeper than the A95, harder to stick in a pocket.
Aug 28th, 2006, 06:09 PM

A camera can only be as good as it is if you have it available to take the shot.

That is why I like my Cannon 400. It's small enough to fit in a pocket or purse and still takes great pictures! Easy to use.

My DIL, her mom and another friend looked at mine and ended up buying the newer versions of the same camera. One got a 450, one a 500 and and the other a 600. They all say they love 'em as much as I do mine!
Aug 28th, 2006, 06:17 PM

Ditto, OSB! I love my Canon SD550. It's slim size makes it so easy to deal with and the large screen makes use a breeze.
Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Who would have thought that buying a digital camera would be so difficult?

I previously had an HP model, that was 3x optical, 6x digital, and 5.1 megapixels. but the preview screen was only about an inch...and it was a slight bit bulky

I am really leaning towards the panasonic dmc-tz1 model, but the specific battery is a bit of a bother, and now I am thinking that I want a digital cam that has a wireless connection so I can just shoot my pics to my email. I also would really prefer a camera that takes rechargeable AAs...

where is an emoticon for confused?
Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:10 PM

I am a no expert, but if I was to do it over again, I would purchase the highest optical zoom I could afford (I think my camera is 5x optical, and 12 digital). Most of the better digital cameras all take great photos, but the zoom makes all the difference. You may not use it all the time, but when you want it, a good optical zoom will produce excellent photos of wildlife, or whatever, that are off in the distance. Good luck in your search!
Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:10 PM

If you want the camera mainly for travel, get one that is small enough to fit in your pocket. There are many small models to choose from.

This is a great site for camera information: http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html .
Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:22 PM

My plan is to just add a camera. I have a 5MP kodak now that I really like and it fits in my pocket...a good sized pocket.

I do have occasion for more zoom so I plan on getting a bigger one near the holidays.

So my suggestion is: buy 2!
Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:27 PM

i'd go with the higher optical zoom number. it's amazing how close you can get compared to a small optical zoom number. you might think you won't need it, but you'd be surprised how much more detail your scenes look in a higher optical zoom. the canon powershots won't fit in your pocket, but aren't heavy either. go to a camera store and see if they'll rent you one of each for a day and compare
Oct 13th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

topping
Oct 13th, 2006, 07:17 PM

topping as I am in the market as well after dropping my beloved Digital during son's BD party;(((
Oct 13th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Adding to all of the good above advice, I find I want wide angle as often as zoom, particularly in an urban area where I can't get far enough back for architectural shots. Some Kodak models have this as do a few other brands. Long battery life is important to me too, with AA battery compatibility for convenience. Discount digital zoom - the picture degrades as you zoom. Also look for an optical viewfinder in addition to the screen. It won't wash out in the sun and using it will prolong battery life. 5-6 megs is plenty for non professionals.