Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Bugs in Savannah? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bugs-in-savannah-514024/)

MarciaK Mar 19th, 2005 04:54 PM

Bugs in Savannah?

I just read something in a tour book about lots of biting gnats in Savannah, GA. What gives??

Patrick Mar 19th, 2005 06:42 PM

Huh? Been to Savannah many times. Never heard of such a thing. Maybe the writer had fleas?

pollyvw Mar 19th, 2005 07:54 PM

I grew up in the Savannah area. In the hot, humid summer there are these little bugs that you can hardly see called gnats that swarm around you, particularly your face. It's just a fact of life and as hard as we try to figure out how to keep them away, they are always there. I usually hold my hand above my head much like a soldier would to salute (I'm really not kidding about this!) as they seem to swarm toward the highest point. Some say using an Avon product (is it Skin-So-Soft?) helps to repel them. I've never been aware of them biting. But they are as obnoxious as all get-out!

Wayne Mar 19th, 2005 08:37 PM

There are the swarming gnats, which is what Polly just described, and then there are the biting gnats. In much of the south we call them "no see-ums" because they are almost impossible to see or feel until they bite you. They are pesky little critters, but they don't leave a big itchy whelp like a mosquito does. It's just one of the things we southerners have to endure to live in our paradise.

Patrick Mar 20th, 2005 03:59 AM

Question for pollyvw and Wayne. Are these bugs you encounter in your yard trying to have a picnic or at the beach, or would a person walking around downtown seeing the historic sites be bothered by them too? That's all I've done in Savannah and never encountered them, that's why I ask.

gail Mar 20th, 2005 04:51 AM

I have been to Savannah several times - in spring and late summer. Only was in historic district. No bothersome bugs. Also, was surprised not to see big nasty crawly bugs either as I have in other warm places (even in college dorms - don't want to know how much insecticide they use!)

The kind of southern gnats mentioned above I have dealt with in other places by wearing a wide-brim hat and spraying the hat liberally with bug repellant.

starrsville Mar 20th, 2005 05:52 AM

Never been bit by a gnat in Savannah.

Budman Mar 20th, 2005 06:06 AM

Don't they have those huge Palmetto bugs down South? ((b))

GoTravel Mar 20th, 2005 08:44 AM

Yes, we have palmetto bugs. Nasty huge flying things.

starrsville Mar 20th, 2005 08:51 AM

But they are just in Charleston, not Savannah.

GoTravel Mar 20th, 2005 09:24 AM

Skin-So-Soft is not an insect repellent and will attract bugs not deter them.

laurelee Mar 20th, 2005 09:48 AM

Tell me more about the Palmetto bugs?
PLEASE!!!

Budman Mar 20th, 2005 09:50 AM

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=palmetto+bug ((b))

GoTravel Mar 20th, 2005 09:58 AM

lauralee, they look like giant cockroaches and they fly.

Unfortunately, they are part of life in the southeast. I usually (luckily) don't ever see one until one of my cats kill it.

They get into the cleanest and nicest places so if you see one, know that they are NOT a sign of filth.

birgator Mar 20th, 2005 10:14 AM

First time in Savannah one year in May, did a walking garden tour. The tour guide passed around a spray bottle of insect repellant before the walk started, which he claimed was a must. Might depend on time of year -- usually I now go late fall or earlier spring and haven't noticed anything either.

MarciaK Mar 20th, 2005 11:54 AM

Thanks for your imput! I live in south Florida, so believe me, I KNOW BUGS!!! Anyway, I will be in Savannah the 2nd of May. I will take some bug repellant, just to be on the safe side. I have a ton of the stuff, since you can't be without it in Florida!

gail Mar 20th, 2005 02:00 PM

Palmetto bugs are really giant cockroaches, some varieties fly. The polite culture of the South will not admit to having something as northern and urban as cockroaches, so they have been renamed Palmetto bugs.

Palmetto bugs are about the size of Volkswagons and have an unusual arrogance about them - most bugs will at least attempt to run away. Palmetto bugs just sit there and glare at you. In Florida, I think even the gators are afraid of them.

laurelee Mar 20th, 2005 03:09 PM

Well, I'm sorry but I didn't know about the little guys. Tell me they won't be out in early April in Savannah or Charleston...somebody? I don't think I'm going to like this..how do you put up with them if you don't like bugs?
Is it best or does it help not to have your hotel windows open--maybe not be on the ground floor? Any words of advice?

GoTravel Mar 20th, 2005 03:13 PM

gail you owe me a new computer monitor! I just spit diet Mountain Dew out all over mine!

That is so true of Palmetto Bugs! They do stare you down and gators probably are afraid of them.

lauralee, you probably will not see a Palmetto Bug. Being on an upper floor does absolutely no good, they fly. Neither does keeping your windows closed. My house is on pillings 14 feet off the ground and I see them. Ditto for my familys house in Pawleys Island and it is 22 feet off the ground!

seetheworld Mar 20th, 2005 03:27 PM

OMG, the first time I saw one of those palmetto bugs, I nearly jumped off the balcony at the condo we were staying at! They are ugly creatures and the south's best kept secret from us northerners :)