Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Bugs in Beds? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bugs-in-beds-362723/)

cedar Oct 2nd, 2003 04:47 AM

Bugs in Beds?

Did anyone catch Primetime last week and the piece about blackligting motel rooms....they mentioned an epidemic of bugs in motel rooms.
It was particularly interesting to me because we had just experienced (2 weeks ago)the "first time ever" bugs in our motel beds....Not one bed, but 2!
It was at a Comfort Inn in St. Catherines, Ontario....luckily, we pulled the covers back as soon as we entered the room and discovered 2 different kinds of bugs on the sheets. I gathered our luggae and ran out of the room as fast as I could....we were lucky to find another place at that late hour.
Has anyone else experienced bugs in beds at motels/hotels???

Scarlett Oct 2nd, 2003 05:17 AM

Yes, years ago, in Mayfair in London, in a fine and expensive hotel. I was bitten upon entering the room and it took a night to discover that there might just be fleas in the bedding!
Of course, they moved us to a suite and made all sorts of apologies, but my lesson learned was, you can get bugs in all sorts of hotel/motel rooms.
I saw part of that program, it was so sickening that I quit, or else I would never be able to sleep in a hotel bed again! What was that splashed on the wall???

Betsy Oct 2nd, 2003 06:32 AM

Oooh, I watched it and may never sleep away from home again! Of something like 20 rooms in lodging of all price levels, any kind of bodily fluid you can think of was detected in 17. I hesitate to name the specific fluids because the Fodors sensors may delete the whole thread, but you can use your imagination. In addition, bedbugs are being found more frequently than in the past because more people are traveling, according to the program. The advice is to inspect your baggage carefully when you get home, or you could infest your home, requiring monumental extermination tatics. Ick. :L :L :L

emmiegirl May 26th, 2004 07:04 PM

I missed the Primetime special but heard about it.

However, I had an unfortunate experience at The Vagabond Inns Executive Hollywood California, when I stayed there in December. My friend and I woke up to bugs in the bed and bite marks on our bodies.

It turned out that the bugs were bedbugs.

Bed Bugs feed on human blood (possibly transmitting disease) while you sleep and then can travel in your suitcase and infest your home.

That is what happen to me when I stayed there. The bedbugs from the Vagabond Inn Executive Hollywood traveled home in my suitcase, which then infested my home and has cost me thousands in pest control services, ruined furniture, clothing, bedding and carpeting.

What is worse is the physical and emotional toll this has taken on me for the last several months. The loss of sleep, the bug bites...It's been a NIGHTMARE!!

I've compalined to the Vagabond Inn management and corporation and have been told it's my problem, but they would be happy to give a free nights stay next time I am in California. Are they kidding?

The Vagabond Inn Hollywood had bedbugs when I stayed there, if they still do, you could get bit, they could travel back to your home and ruin everything from your furnishings to your health.

I would say stay away...don't take the chance. I read a review on besthotel.com and another person also had bedbugs in the bed at the Vagabond Inn Hollywood and they were just there in March. So clearly, the Vagabond Inn has not taken care of the problem...as long as they continue to deny the problem ... it will continue to exist...

If anyone has stayed at or knows anyone who did stay at the Vagabond Inn Executive, Hollywood California and had a bad experienece or had bugs in the room...please email me. I would like to hear your story, Thank you.

Email me at
[email protected]

Jayne11159 May 26th, 2004 08:17 PM

No, but once I did find a pair of men's dirty underwear.

turn_it_on May 26th, 2004 08:39 PM

What do bed bugs look like?

love
roxy

emmiegirl May 26th, 2004 09:28 PM

like a thin flat tick. check out the pest control forum for photos.