Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Bug bites, help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bug-bites-help-1460697/)

ocean5281 Jul 28th, 2017 09:50 AM

Bug bites, help!

I don't know what's biting me. Yesterday, I noticed two mosquito-like bites on my back that were kinda itchy, but not too much. Today, there are about ten more. I didn't even know they were there until I was trying clothes on in a store and thy itch a little bit. I'm on vacation and staying in someone else's house, with a new mattress. I looked for bed bugs but couldn't find anything. I was out hiking the other day and had bugs all over me. Plus, it's 100 degrees and I've been sweating like crazy. I don't know what these bites are but I'm freaking out! No-seeums? Bed bugs (I hope not!) Chiggers? From the heat/sweating? They are sporadic on my stomach only. Thanks for the help!

suze Jul 28th, 2017 09:57 AM

No-see-ums typically bit extremities (ankles, lower legs, arms)

Are you sure it is bug bites? Could it be some kind of allergic skin reaction?

ocean5281 Jul 28th, 2017 10:03 AM

Maybe? I've been staying at this house for four days now, so I would assume if it was bed bugs, I would have gotten them sooner. Maybe allergic reaction from something but not sure what.

suze Jul 28th, 2017 10:08 AM

(shingles?)

ocean5281 Jul 28th, 2017 10:15 AM

No, they literally look like mosquito welts. They itch but not terribly bad, unless I actually start itching them.

John Jul 28th, 2017 10:27 AM

You think maybe a medical clinic would have a better answer than this forum?

MmePerdu Jul 28th, 2017 10:32 AM

Bed bus bite in a straight line, I know from one fortunately minor experience in Asia. If you see no such pattern, it isn't likely them.

Macross Jul 28th, 2017 10:53 AM

Wear bug spray.

musicfan Jul 28th, 2017 11:57 AM

Around here (Kansas City) oak mites have been really bad the past two summers, but those itch like crazy and last a long time. Bug spray doesn't work on them and they are super tiny, but unusually prolific lately.

suze Jul 28th, 2017 11:58 AM

Bug spray does not help, when you've already been bitten up!

DebbieDoesDulles Jul 28th, 2017 12:09 PM

If you had bugs all over you while hiking then they are probably mosquito bites. Probably a mosquito got down under your shirt and couldn't get out so went to town on you. Get some caladryl lotion.

Bed bugs don't bite often, once every two months or something like that...so it wouldn't matter if they didn't bite for the first few days. They would have come in with previous guests, is this a vacation rental?

Mosquitoes don't bite if you keep moving, so don't stop and enjoy the view on those hikes!

Dayle Jul 28th, 2017 03:56 PM

Debbie,

Where on earth did you learn that mosquitos dont bite if you are moving. I am a mosquito magnet and I can tell you they bite when you are moving!!

Macross Jul 28th, 2017 04:27 PM

We use meat tenderizer on bites, add a little water to make a paste. Great for taking itch or sting out. I thought you were still getting bites, why I said put on deet bug spray. I live on mosquito lagoon, they get you moving or standing still. Not so bad today but 50 years ago they would carry you away.

janisj Jul 28th, 2017 04:33 PM

If I had unidentified bites that were 'freaking me out', I think I'd head to a pharmacy and ask for advice. Wouldn't necessarily think to search for a travel forum . . .

Songdoc Jul 28th, 2017 09:02 PM

I just moved from TN (Nashville) a few days ago. Before leaving I went for a neighborhood walk (on concrete) and came back with horrible new bites every day. Many of them were chiggers. Others were probably no-see-ums because I think I would have noticed mosquitoes. When I used "Off" I got fewer bites--but it didn't stop all of them.

The worst part was that DH would walk beside me and never get bitten. I guess some of us are just sweeter than others ;-).

The heat and bugs were among the reasons I moved away. I lived in a beautiful setting but felt like I was under house arrest because I'm very much an outdoors person and I couldn't enjoy being outside during the summer.

Next time visit any other time of year! Sorry about your bites :-(.

mlgb Jul 28th, 2017 09:07 PM

Try some generic Ceterizine antihistamine (Zyrtec) and see if that helps.

marvelousmouse Jul 29th, 2017 01:47 AM

probably all of the above?

I notice when mosquitoes bite but chiggers and no see um bites pop up late like you're describing. You can try more coverage in terms of clothes. See if repellent helps. It doesn't eliminate the problem but they love me without repellent and only like me with.

And Debbie is somewhat right. You still get bitten when you move but if you taste good, you will get absolutely eaten alive if you stop to rest or take photos.

marvelousmouse Jul 29th, 2017 01:49 AM

Also given the location of bites, I'd make sure your windows aren't open at night. I only get bit on stomach and back if the bugs are indoors with me!

thursdaysd Jul 29th, 2017 06:29 AM

Some people, I am one, are mosquito magnets, some are not. I think it's one of those 20/80 splits. I live in NC and sometimes I can't walk to my mailbox without getting bitten. I use Cortisone cream, the sooner you get it on the bite the better it works. I would not spend any time outdoors in the summer without insect spray, although I hate the stuff. Since it's so hot here I don't hike in the summer anyway (I hear you, Songdoc!).