Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Budget vacation suggestions please! Southern US, beaches? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/budget-vacation-suggestions-please-southern-us-beaches-857301/)

lizasmom Aug 31st, 2010 12:19 PM

Budget vacation suggestions please! Southern US, beaches?

I would love some ideas for a family vacation this winter. My parents (in their 60s), my husband and I (in our 30s) and our one year old daughter would possibly also be joined by my sister and her boyfriend in their 20s.

We are looking for a laid-back area, preferably warmer than Michigan in late December, January or early February. We've talked about the Outer Banks, Florida or the Keys, but I'm really running into budget issues with lodging. I was hoping to find some sort of apartment/condo with maybe two bedrooms and a pullout couch. Nothing fancy, but in a location with some personality...for less than $200/night. Trip length would be 4-7 days.

Truthfully, I want to go to Mexico but the shorter flight and large group of people just make staying in the US seem easier. My ideal is near the beach with great little restaurants within walking distance. Oh, and a major airport nearby! Can it be done? I just have no idea where to start. We're not picky, we prefer personality and a good story over luxury and predictability.

Thanks for your suggestions.

lizasmom Aug 31st, 2010 12:20 PM

No major activities nearby necessary; maybe a sea kayak and some good walking trails!

BigRuss Aug 31st, 2010 12:28 PM

The best option would probably be Miami. Anything on the Atlantic Coast north of I-4 in Florida will be coldish for beaches. Even Miami won't be real beach weather -- that's for the Caribbean. The Keys are in Florida. The Outer Banks are off the Carolina coast and that won't be particularly warm, even if you're from the U.P.

Texas' main beaches are really nearer to Corpus Christi than Houston, so they're not close to a major airport (the other major airport in Texas is DFW, and that's nowhere near a beach). They're also not as nice as Florida's.

I wouldn't want to go to Mexico right now. If you consider leaving the country, go to Belize or Costa Rica. Each would have affordable options, although the flights would be more difficult from where you are (definitely need a change for Belize, I'm near certain you'd need a change for CR). And Ambergris Caye in Belize would certainly fit your criteria for "great little restaurants within walking distance."

lizasmom Aug 31st, 2010 12:48 PM

Ha, I guess I should have said "mainland Florida!"

SAnParis2 Aug 31st, 2010 12:51 PM

We often visit Amelia Island (FL) over New Years. You'll find reasonably priced lodging & most everything you need as well as being 30-40 minutes from JAX. Many posts on here if you'd like to know more.

tchoiniere Aug 31st, 2010 12:51 PM

The Keys are the only place you are guaranteed warm in December. Rest of FL could be warm or it could be 50s-60s during the day. Warmer than the UP but not typical beach weather. Of course, it could be 80s as well.

SAnParis2 Aug 31st, 2010 12:52 PM

The weather will be a crap shoot, I'll been on the Beach in howling winds w/a heavy sweatshirt & I've also been able to get in the water.

simpsonc510 Aug 31st, 2010 12:59 PM

Gulf beaches are typically warmer than Atlantic ones, in my experience at that time of year. I'd opt for St Pete and south of there, Sarasota, Naples, etc.

starrs Aug 31st, 2010 01:18 PM

The further you go, the warmer it will be. But any of the ones you mentioned will be warmer than Michigan ;)

Jekyll Island came to mind. It's a perfect low budget, low key, family destination. Some of the hotels offer special deals for the snowbirds and the parking lot is full of cars from Michigan and northern states. Oceanside Inn and Suites is my favorite. It's an older property (the same age of all the hotels on the island) but has kitchenettes, a big grassy lawn - perfect for kids - and stretches out along the ocean.

The Hampton Inn is brand new and is further down the beach.

Jekyll has great kayaking, a great beach, a sidewalk that runs along most of the island that is perfect for biking (4' elevation rise total on the island) and low key restaurants.

Orlando_Vic Aug 31st, 2010 01:35 PM

<b>"I was hoping to find some sort of apartment/condo with maybe two bedrooms and a pullout couch. Nothing fancy, but in a location with some personality...for less than $200/night. Trip length would be 4-7 days."</b>

Warmer than Michigan should not be a problem for Florida and the farther south you go, the warmer it will be. As much as I like the panhandle beaches, the temps there will be the coolest in the winter. I am somewhat partial to the St. Augustine area and know that many snowbirds come for the entire winter. My condo is (easily) rented for three months. So...keep this in mind and don't delay in making reservations. You will have competition for condos, at least in the St. Augustine/Crescent Beach area. One place to stay in St. Augustine Beach is Anastasia Condos http://www.anastasiacondos.com/index.php I am not personally familiar with these condos...just aware of them. But, be aware of possible 3-month minimums.

longhorn55 Aug 31st, 2010 02:22 PM

I totally agree with starrs--Jekyll Island would be a great spot for your family. It's less than 90 minutes from the Jacksonville airport, so you're close to an airport. There are plenty of accommodation choices. Our favorite is Villas by the Sea which has 2-bedroom and 3-bedroom units with a full kitchen stocked with everything you'll need. There's a playground for the kids and a small fitness room for the adults (I can't miss my daily workouts!) Starrs has already mentioned the beach, the kayaking and the hike/bike trails which are all great. But there's history on the island as well--Jekyll Island was once the winter resort of the rich (Vanderbilts, Goodyears, etc.) and many of their homes have been restored and are open for tours. There's also a good museum on the island. Around the "Millionaire's Row" area are many interesting shops which you might like to visit too.
We were just there a few weeks ago and discovered that they are beginning a major renovation. I believe that the little strip of beach shops, convenience stores and such are soon to be razed. They were setting up trailers which I understand will house some of these stores until the renovation is completed. (A bank was already operating out of one of these trailers.) I would not let this keep me from visiting JI, since it such a small part of the island, but I felt I should mention it.
There are many good, low-key restaurants on the island and in the hotels. I like them all except for Blackbeards--I've never had a good experience there (poor food and/or service).

divineMissM Aug 31st, 2010 02:29 PM

You probably have to play with your dates a bit to find the best prices, and the fact that you're open to that will help. Prices will go up starting in February.
This place will sleep all of you, is under $200 a night in late January (up until Feb 12). Flights into Jacksonville or Daytona Beach are running about $200 Sat to Sat. (car rentals are probably lower in Jacksonville).
The only requirement of yours that this place does not fill is the "nothing fancy" part:

http://www.vrbo.com/155348

lizasmom Sep 1st, 2010 11:59 AM

You are completely on target with the Jekyll Island recommendations, everyone! Thank you soooo much.

We're not hoping for swimming weather; in the 50s/60s with jeans and a sweatshirt will be perfect.

I've been looking at rental websites all day and am getting very excited. We could stay in a three bedroom house Christmas week for less than $800. The only drawback is that linens aren't provided (ordering them from a service is weird, but it sounds easier than carting them on the plane!) and plane tickets are pretty pricey, over $400 from Grand Rapids. But it's doable.

starrs Sep 1st, 2010 12:27 PM

Hi lizasmom,

Jekyll is PERFECT for what you are looking for. I think you'd be fine with the linen rental service or you could buy some when you get down there. Before extra baggage fees, I'd recommend packing them in suitcases.

I'm personally familiar with the condos Orlando Vic provided. We stayed there for years in a friend of a friend's condo and a co-worker actually bought one not too many years ago. It's a nice little quiet treasure. But, as much as I love Anastasia Jekyll is a much better fit for what you describe. Not sure where your rental house option is, but on Jekyll you are only a few (quiet) blocks from the beach. Golf, miniature golf for the kids, historic things to see, fishing pier, a small grocery store (I hope it's still there) and several low-key restaurant options. On the mainland are plenty of shopping options.

Weather can be iffy if you WERE looking for swimming weather, but if you aren't the weather will be wonderful. We've played in the surf on December 31st, but you just can't count on that. More years that not we have "shirt sleeve Christmases" - wearing short sleeved shirts on Christmas day, so you'll be VERY pleased with much warmer than Michigan weather.

The state bought the island and promoted it as a park for the middle class. Everything on the park (hotels) were the same age and showing their age). The state proposed a massive redevelopment and that was fought because many of thought it would ruin Jekyll. A more moderate redevelopment plan is in effect and the winning bid went the the firm that developed Reynolds Plantation on Lake Oconee. They really did a nice job with that. St Simons Island and Sea Island have always been the nicer, more luxurious options. And Jekyll folks (including me) liked it that way. I LOVE Jekyll and hope it doesn't change too much.

fishinmore Sep 1st, 2010 12:39 PM

If you WANT A PRETTY BEACH, STAY IN FLORIDA! If you want inexpensive, great beaches, great local restaurants go to ST Augustine! I have a friend with a condo complex on the beach, great location and place, lots of room for about 700 week.
I pay 2200 week in the KEYS IN THE SUMMER!!!
ST Augustine, 43 miles of beaches, and the Rest is History!

joesorce Sep 1st, 2010 03:43 PM

If you're seeing flights to Jacksonville at $400, you must be looking at the week that is February vacation for the northeast schools, mid to late Feb??? $400 is high if you're talkin' Detroit.

SAnParis2 Sep 1st, 2010 04:41 PM

Check vrbo.com, most everyone on there provides towels & linens...

flygirl Sep 2nd, 2010 12:43 PM

February would probably be decent weather for Hilton Head area, if you decided to go there. If you went over the holiday you'd have a nice 3 days without even taking vacation time. I've visited a few times in mid-February and it's typically light coat weather. January is a crapshoot - I've been there in 70 degree weather and in 25 degree weather. This isn't to say February is guaranteed, but it's marching towards spring and even early March is starting flower season there.

There are even a few nonstops into Savannah from Detroit. That said, it's about an hour drive to Hilton Head beaches from Savannah and I cannot vouch for hotel prices.

GeorgeW Sep 2nd, 2010 12:53 PM

At Topsail Beach, NC you can get a nice oceanfront for $ 1000 a week. But it can be cold for December and even late November. I've had good weather all three times I've vacationed at Topsail in mid-November.

Byrd Sep 2nd, 2010 01:36 PM

We have stayed here with our children and their families four times, and love it.

http://www.garrettrealty.com/Florida...ereyCondosB301

It's on the Florida Panhandle, so won't be as warm as summer, but it shouldn't be too cold, and the pool is heated in the winter.

The prices listed for Nov. to Feb. are $210 a night or $1095 a week.

The condos sleep 8 or 10 (we usually rent the one for 10). There are 3 bedroom, 3 baths, an alcove with bunk beds, and a sleeper sofa. Views over the gulf are beautiful.

Have a good trip.

Byrd