Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   budget travel in Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/budget-travel-in-maui-116483/)

lisa Apr 3rd, 2001 04:44 AM

budget travel in Maui

I'm taking a vacation to Maui at the beginning of June, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a decent cheap hotel to stay at around Kaanapali. I'd like something with air conditioning and close to the beach and the other attractions. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ally Apr 3rd, 2001 05:38 AM

Lisa,<BR>I don't know what you mean by 'cheap', but in my limited experience there are no 'cheap' hotels in that area. <BR>Try a condo search. My husband and I stayed at a cute little condo that has an excellent ocean front view..see<BR>www.musicgrinder.com/pip/<BR>It's very cheap, but does not have AC.<BR>Also do a search for Vacation Rentals By Owner at:<BR>www.vrbo.com<BR>Good Luck<BR>

Lori Apr 3rd, 2001 08:12 AM

Maui is not inexpensive, however in order to get more meaningful answers please define your budget, i.e. I don't want to have to spend more than $___ on a hotel. Most hotels and condos in the Kaanapoli area are expensive. You might consider Kihei as it is less expensive there.

Tammy Apr 3rd, 2001 09:03 AM

I was in Maui in early March. We had an inexpensive trip and it was very enjoyable. we stayed at the Aston Kaanapalli Shores resort in a 2 bedroom condo. we found the condo on vrbo.com-2 bedroom for $200 night. we had an ocean view and a wonderful lanai for eating breakfast on. We saved money by eating many meals in the condo and eating out once a day. I recommend the Aloha Plate for inexpensive island food-outstanding Mahi Mahi. The Hula Beach Grill had great food in a wonderful atmosphere and good prices. Many of the restaurants offer good early bird specials. <BR>Good luck!<BR>

lisa Apr 3rd, 2001 09:06 AM

I'm somewhat flexible on my budget depending on what the hotel/condo had to offer. The absolute most I would want to spend is $150, but I'd really like to get something for around $100 or less a night. I thought about Kiehi because of cheaper rates, but I've heard that this location is not as good and I'd rather be in a better location because I don't know that I'll be renting a car and I'd like to be able to have access to most things by walking if possible.

Ginny Apr 3rd, 2001 09:44 AM

Lisa you need to do an internet search. I lived on Oahu for three years and I can tell you from my own island hoping as well as housing guests that your request is not hard. This fodor's can offer you some condo options. There are certainly affordable alternatives. I can tell you off the top of my head Maui Islander near lahaina is a cheap condo. Tons of cheap condos in Kihei. You can certainly find it. $100 is doable. Search under Maui condo and see all the results. You can also just cut and past the fodors recommendations see the web site. I always like to ask if a hotel has a condo office operating separte from the hotel. Frequently you can get the number and find a more affordable alternatives for a families.

paul Apr 3rd, 2001 09:52 AM

You might want to consider staying in Lahaina rather than Kaanapoli. I think you will have a much better choice of budget locations. You can go to the website for the Old Lahaina B&amp;B and see rates well below $100 per night. I think there are free shuttles between Kaanapoli and Lahaina. <BR>

Kristi Apr 3rd, 2001 09:53 AM

We stayed at the Royal Lahaina Resort. It had beach access right next to the pool. Rates were fairly resonable for last minute reservations.

Michelle Apr 3rd, 2001 07:37 PM

Hi Lisa:<BR> Try looking up the Noelani Condominium Resort. We are booked to go there in July for our 30th anniversary. So far, everything we have heard is positive and I can't wait. The prices are quite reasonable and it is right on the ocean at Kahana.

Lani Apr 3rd, 2001 09:07 PM

Lisa,<BR><BR>That's a great suggestion for you to stay in Lahaina if you are not going to rent a car, although you'll miss an awful lot on Maui if you don't. (Yes, there are shuttles that run back and forth between Lahaina &amp; Kaanapali.) I'd rent a car for at least a couple of days so I didn't miss Haleakala, the Iao Needle, the ranch country, etc! If you pick up the Frommers' Hawaii on $70 day guide, you'll find some excellent suggestions for lower priced accommodations, as well as tons of other good info. Good luck!