Lake Powell or Phoenix

Search

Lake Powell or Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Lake Powell or Phoenix

I only have five days in the area including travel days, although we are willing to leave on a red eye on the last night. We definitely want the Grand Canyon, but I was wondering if we can do Lake Powell, Sedona and the spots in between, rather than bothering with Phoenix. We may never get back to the area. I don't think it is possible to do it all looking at driving distances. Which is the better pick? Thanks.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:28 AM
OO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would do Sedona (stunning red rock formations) and the Grand Canyon, two of our favorite AZ spots. Although we've been to Lake Powell as well, that was the least favorite of the 3 spots you mention. Our DD and SIL lived in Phoenix...we'd fly in, then take off immediately for the above destinations. 5 days is ample time to do both the GC and Sedona and stops along the way such as Montezuma's Castle.

I don't know if you are hikers, but getting even a short distance below the rim in the Grand Canyon changes your perspective entirely. The Bright Angel trail is an easy trail...hike it for a few hours, or even just an hour, and you'll leave the canyon with an entirely different experience from those who never venture below the rim.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:37 AM

Would be helpful to know your flight destination. We enjoyed the scenery around Lake Powell. We loved the mid day tour of Antelope Slot Canyon near Page and did the dinner cruise on Lake Powell. Also Walnut Creek Canyon near Flagstaff or Montezuma Castle south of Sedona will give you a view of cliff dwellings. Also the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest are old favorites. Try to get lodging at the south rim for one night to catch the sunset.
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Our flight destination depends on reader's recommendations, either Phoenix or Flagstaff (even though it stops in Phoenix anyway it is still quicker than driving). If there is nothing much to see around Phoenix, i would rather spend the time near Lake Powell. We do moderated hiking and would do low level white water rafthing. Lake Powell just sounded so intriguing. Possible in one or one 1/2 days?
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:50 AM

When are you traveling? The low desert areas outside Phoenix are beautiful in February, March and April with the blooming wildflowers and cactus and would be my pick in those months over Lake Powell. But in the summer it's extremely hot, the flowers are long gone, and I'd opt for Lake Powell area for sure.
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:18 PM

The 1/2 day float trip out of Page, AZ isn't white water but a beautiful floating trip with sandstone walls all around you. The Lake Powell boat tour to Rainbow Bridge National Monument can take most of the day or all day but one of my favorite things to do. You can also do the short 3/4 mile hike to Horseshoe Bend and the Upper Antelope Slot Canyon tour. All of these beat Phoenix hands down IMHO! There's a lot to do in the Page, AZ area. I just love the contrast of the blue water and the red/orange sandstone bluffs and buttes.

Utahtea
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I realize that the water trip on the lake is not white water. I was referring back to the Grand Canyon part of the trip. I was hoping to be able to do some of that and Sedona and Lake Powell and some of the canyons in between.
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:17 PM

You don't mention what you'd like to do on your trip, or when you plan to take it. Lake Powell in January is completely different than July. And Phoenix in July is rather intolerable if you're looking to spend your time outside.
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

We are going June 30 to July 5 - no choice on dates unfortunately. We would like to do as much outside as possible and are generally more active and not really looking for a spa vacation. I've been to Utah but my daughter has not, so we want a good mix of the area canyons or geological features and other sites we can't see at home, which is Boston. Given the heat we know it will be slow but I am really unsure of how much time it takes to travel by car to each site, which I think will be the real determining factor in how much we can actually do. Thanks
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:53 AM

For me, the boat trip on Lake Powell was one of the most amazing experiences in the USA. It is like going through a half-submerged part of the Grand Canyon. Spectacularly scenic and relaxing. There is a half-day trip from Page to Rainbow Bridge which is impressive enough - if you do not have much time.

You may also consider driving to Monument Valley. It is also most spectacular and does not require more than a few hours to visit.

Otherwise, I would second Sedona and Montezuma Castle.

Given the natural wonders in the area, I would not visit Phoenix and rather fly into Flagstaff.