Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Bryce/Zion/N Rim OR Yellowstone NP/Gr Tetons NP?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry it's long, but I need to give you some facts~
I've been fortunate to be able to take some of my family (Mom*75, Aunt & Uncle*77 & 80, another aunt*72 and cousin*60) on some fabulous 2-week trips over the past few years. (I'm 50.) We've been to the Canadian Rockies twice (Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper), Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway during Fall, Great Smoky Mountains and Colorado Rockies. I'm researching for our next trip...to be taken anytime in 2007.

After reading many, many reviews on Glacier NP/Waterton vs. Canadian Rockies, I've crossed GNP/Waterton off the list...althought beautiful, sounds like it's not as spectacular as the Canadian Rockies since we obviously can't do "true hiking".

I've narrowed it down to Yellowstone NP/Gr Tetons OR Bryce/Zion/N Rim of Grand Canyon/possibly Moab, too. The group is able to do nice walking trails, but just not any steep, strenuous, rocky trails.

So that we can all stay together and prepare some meals, we prefer to rent vacation homes. To avoid unpacking & packing, we prefer to stay 5-7 nights in each location. Before you think I'm spoiled...I feel responsible for the group so I try to make it as easy as possible for them.

So, after all this history, which itinerary would you choose? Is there another destination I haven't thought of? Obviously, beautiful scenery is #1 on our list.

A. A week in Bryce/Zion area with a day trip to the Grand Canyon North Rim. Then 5-7 days in the Moab area.

B. A week in Yellowstone and 5-7 days in the Grand Tetons.

Any information and advise would be so helpful.

I have considered an Alaskan cruise, but we're spoiled to doing things on our own and when we want to do them...I felt we'd have to sign-up for crowded excursions and be on their timetable.

Wow....this is the length of a trip report...not a question! Sorry, Fodorites...but you're the best. You've helped plan all our other trips!
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 07:21 AM

Yellowstone is on my list of places to go so I can't compare but I can say that Bryce/Zion would be a good trip. It has been a few years since we went but I have very fond memories of Zion. Some of the trails in Zion are challenging but the walk along Zion Narrows is mostly flat and maybe even paved and I think there was one hike to a gorgeous waterfall that was only moderately difficult. Bryce is also gorgeous, especially at sunset and if you choose to go into the canyon the trail is not terribly difficult.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Hi jewelhawg,

Having been to both areas, it's tough to pick. Both are absolutely spectacular and unique. Yellowstone/GNTP offer lots of wildlife sightings/encounters, if that's important.

Season-wise, spring or autumn is ideal for Bryce/Zion and Moab, although the GC N. Rim will most likeky still/already be closed, while GNTP and Yellowstone are only fully visitable in Summer.

So I would probably choose where to go according to the timeframe most convenient for you.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Since you have seen the northern Rockies, I suggest that southern Utah would be more interesting. The area around Moab should not be missed, and if you happen to be close to Hovenweep (in SE Utah, close to the Colorado border), spend a few hours walking around the ruins, although that is best done early in the morning or just before sunset in high summer.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 09:21 AM
TheWeasel

I guess I'd pick the UT trip because you've already seen quite a bit of the Rockies. Yellowstone/GTNP would be great, and 2 weeks would be adequate, but go to Utah because it sounds like you haven't experienced anything like it.

I don't know about renting vacation homes in that area, but I would assume there are some. There are a number of day trip option from the Zion area so a week would be good. I'd go late May or mid-October. The North Rim is supposed to open May 15th, and has been staying open as late as mid-November the past couple of years, but mid-October would be a safer bet. The aspens should be at peak color then too.

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Both would be fantastic trips-neither one is "better". Both will have lots of the short, paved nature trail type hikes that national parks always have (I think Yellowstone will have more of these easy walks, but I'm not quite sure from your post exactly what you are able to do in terms of mileage, so perhaps many of the slightly longer, rougher nature trails in Utah would be fine as well).

I'd let the season you want to go be the deciding factor. If you want to go in summer, Yellowstone. Summer is very hot in Utah, so only do that trip if you can do spring or fall (though not so early in spring or late in fall that the north rim will be closed).
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:26 PM

The North Rim is just under 5 hrs from Zion; that is quite a day trip! You'll spend over 10 hrs in your vehicle and only have a brief glimpse at the canyon. I think the Utah trip requires moving around a bit instead of renting a house and doing day trips. And, honestly, even Yellowstone is better seen (especially with a week) by staying in different areas of the Park. YNP is huge and you'll see so much more by at least staying on the north and south ends.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

sharondi~
Maybe I'd better ask more questions. One of the rentals near Zion NP we are looking into said (and so did mapquest):
Bryce NP: 1 hour 19 minutes
North Rim: 2 hours 13 minutes
Cedar Breaks National Monument: 1 hour
Coral Pink Sand Dunes: 20 minutes

Moab is 5 hours away so we were going to make that our second "home base".

I'm traveling with some of my older relatives so packing and unpacking every couple of days is NOT an option. We've done that on other trips and the older they get...the harder it gets. HELP!
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM
TheWeasel

jewelhawg - I'd say your source is accurate as far as mileage and driving time. The N. Rim may be a 5 hour drive from Las Vegas, but certainly not from Zion.

This site has good info on Zion and all the places you've listed in that area: http://www.zionnational-park.com/

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:35 AM

You won't go wrong with either choice. Those are my top two favorite destinations!

That said, location, location, location is everything so you aren't doing a lot of driving. A lot of places say they are "near" a park, but still can be a far drive. Where "near" Zion are you thinking of staying? If it's in Springdale or Rockdale, then that is good.

As for Yellowstone, if you aren't staying in the park then you will want to look at West Yellowstone, Montana.

Utahtea
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Utahtea...
I was hoping to hear from you! I've been reading and "cut & pasting" your (and other's) replies to a file for this area.

Okay...here are the 3 areas I've narrowed it down to for travel to Zion and Bryce. Please, please keep in mind the importance of us staying in a vacation home (with a view!). We will not be able to "hike"...mostly viewing from a van and short (1 mile or less) easy walks. So, driving in scenic country to get to a destination is part of our enjoyment of a trip. We pack snacks and drinks and picnic lunches...etc.

I've found a couple of homes in the Zion Ponderosa Ranch area that's at an elevation of 6500'.

I've also found a home in Duck Creek Village, but it's at an elevation of 8600'. I'm not sure my older relatives can handle staying at that elevation for a week.

The third home I found is Red Mountain Home in Kanab. www.redmountainhome.com

Then, we'd like to stay 5 nights in the Moab area. I've found a couple of homes in the Coyote Run area in Moab.

Lastly...want to come during cool weather with fall colors. I'm thinking October???

Any thoughts on any of these?
Thank you soooo much!
Juli
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Too late - I was going to strongly suggest the Yellowstone itinerary for your group. We have done something similar to both trips in past few years.

Yellowstone is well suited to a non-hiking, short walk vacation. Much can be seen from the car, but there are dozens of places where you park in a lot and walk (not hike) about 1/4 mile at most to see something spectacular.

But if you change your mind and do Yellowstone instead of Bryce/Zion, 5 days at Grand Teton is way too much. Spend some of that time in Jackson and then stay in West Yellowstone - although I do not know about vacation home rentals there.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:00 PM

I've been both places and love them both. If I had to pick one, it would be Yellowstone. It's just so interesting...all the sounds, and sights, and smells. Like no place else I've ever been. And there are some very easy walking paths...even some that are handicap accessible if that's an issue for the older folks.

The Grand Tetons are beautiful. Jackson Hole is a great town to stay in.

Utah is great too. I think the walks would be slightly more strenuous than those at Yellowstone.

Either way you will have a great trip.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

It's NOT too late...we're still in the "trying to decide" stage. I was just leaning towards Zion/Bryce/N Rim because we've done the Canadian Rockies twice and I thought Yellowstone might be similar.

Keep the suggestions coming! In fact, I've now thrown Alaska into the mix!
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:08 AM

I'd have to come down on the side of Yellowstone since so much of the access to the fascinating thermal features (Its more than 300 geysers make up two thirds of all those found on earth.) is on boardwalks...easy & short.

I've not been to the Canadian Rockies but I don't think Yellowstone is like it much.

The geysers and other thermal features make Yellowstone totally unique. Period.

Your problem with Yellowstone is going to be a vacation home...there are none within the park and driving into the park from West Yellowstone is going to get old after the first couple of days.

It is a long way from West Yellowstone to the Lamar Valley for instance.

The roads are twisty and speeds are low so it is hard to make good time in YNP

The historic Lake Hotel, The Snow Lodge at Old Faithful and the Hotel at Mammoth are all full service hotels and would make an easy stay keeping you close to the action at the 3 major areas of the park.

I also agree that a couple of days at the Tetons are enough since you're not hikers. Jackson is nice but concentrate on Yellowstone.

All the wildlife viewing we did at Yellowstone was from the car or at the numerous pull offs.

In fact this grizzly shot was taken from the window of the car:

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/67839325

We came prepared to hike at Yellowstone but never did since there was so much wildlife action viewable from the car. Bring binocs and spotting scopes for the best results.

We love Utah and there's a lot to see from the car but Yellowstone blew us away.