Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Bryce to Monument Valley - one night stop over. Which route to take?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning trip September 08, 3 nights Zion, 3 nights Bryce then a night SOMEWHERE followed by 2 nights monument valley and 2 nights GC South.
Dilemma is the route between Bryce and Gouldings. Do we stop at Page to do 1/2 day float and Antelope Slot Canyon OR Torrey/Blanding to do scenic hyway 12, natural bridges and gooseneck.
Suggestion please
Hilary
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:00 AM

Are you camping at all or staying in lodges? Also, what kind of vehicle will you have? Hwy 12 up to Torrey is a very scenic road and you wont want to (and cant) do it at high speed. Capitol Reef is worth seeing and camping there but I don't think there are motels.

With a sturdy vehicle, my favorite route is to take the Burr Trail from Boulder down to the ferry across Lake Powell and then take 276 and 261 doen to Mexican Hat. I'm not sure of the current condition of the Burr Trail but they were paving it a few years back. In my opinion, Hwy 95 is not all that scenic compared to the other options.

You might be better off in Page. Lots of motels there and the boat trip to Rainbow Bridge is wonderful if they are doing it at current lake levels. Antelope is great too. Just don't go in if there's any chance of rain within 50 miles.

Gouldings is great. One of the best places I've ever stayed in the Southwest. Not sure if you will have the time, but the Betatakin Ruins are awesome.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

We are planning to stay in Bryce lodge and gouldings, not camping. We are using a hire car, not sure yet whether to get 4x4 as most of our miles will be on regular roads.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

keep forgetting to do my posts in the evening(UK) when all the experts are awake(USA). Hopefully topping will get some more suggestions
Hilary
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 12:31 PM

WOW, that's a hard choice! Which ever you do, you will see have great scenery and a good time!

One thing to consider, if you have 3 nights at Zion, that gives you 2 full days there. (which is GREAT!) It's only a couple hour drive to Bryce so on that travel day you can spend a little time at both parks. With three nights at Bryce that also gives you 2 full days in Bryce...and part of that travel day. You might consider driving the scenic part of Hwy 12 to Boulder as part of your stay in Bryce. If you did that, then I'd do Lake Powell route to MV.

Just to let you know, there is no lodging in Capitol Reef, but there is plenty of new modern logding in Torrey, Utah which is just 11 miles to the west. I would choose Torrey is the place to spend the one night if you decide on this route.

Utahtea
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

thanks utahtea
If we stay in Torrey, how long would the drive be to monument valley and where would be the best places to see along the way, I think we would like to be in Gouldings for sunset
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 02:19 PM

Torrey to Gouldings is approx. 200 miles via the Moki Dugway and Goosenecks. I'd plan on it taking between 4 & 5 hours to drive. You can see Natural Bridges in a an hour or two and even take one of the hikes.

Here's a great website on the area: http://www.amazon.com/Ty-31020-Twack...93897&sr=1-518

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 02:20 PM

oops hit enter by mistake. Try this link: http://www.so-utah.com/souteast/homepage.html

Utahtea