Reload this Page >

Bryce for a day: hike or do the horseback ride

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 03:34 PM
emd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am finalizing plans for a first trip Oct. 20-25 to Zion and Bryce (this trip has been rescheduled twice but this time it WILL happen). We will do moderate hiking for two and a half days in Zion, and then do a day trip to Bryce, returning to Zion that night. We are hikers at heart but I am wondering about doing the half day horseback ride through Bryce. I watched the Natl. Geographic DVD and it looks like it might be hard to see much of Bryce (up close, not just from the rim) by hiking for a day; maybe a bit of hiking and then the horseback ride is the better way to do it. I would appreciate opinions on the two options, considering the time of year also (I know it could be rather cold in Bryce by mid-Oct.) Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 04:50 PM

I've been there a couple of times and done quite a number of hikes. Most are rather strenuous, lots of up and down. I've done the horse ride (half day) twice and it was fantastic. You feel like you're in an old western and John Wayne or somebody is waiting around the next bend. You can cover so much more territory on horseback. Be aware though that most of the horses are actually mules (not to be confused by the uninitiated with donkeys). The mules love to walk right on the edge of the cliffs so it is not for the faint of heart. Do the horses!!!
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 06:10 PM

I've never done the horseback ride, but the Navajo - Queen's Garden loop is only 3 miles. Yes you go down hill, then you stay down and have to climb out. I'm 53 and didn't have any problems doing it last year. My 4 1/2 year old son did it over 20 years ago! You really get to see the park at your own pace. Stop when you want to take pictures etc.

Also there is a weight limit of 230 pounds for the horses. If you do decide on horse back ride, then make your reservations thought the park service....they are the only ones that can take you into Bryce Canyon National Park...the others stay outside the park!

Utahtea
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 06:26 PM
emd
Original Poster

Patrick, it says alot if you have doen the ride twice. I think we will do the horse/mule ride, and since it is a half day if we want to we can also do the Queen Garden's loop or another short hike after the ride (I appreciate what you are saaying, Utahtea, about seeing it up close at your own pace). Thanks very much to you both.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 07:25 PM

Sounds like a great time either way. Have you ever ridden a horse before? That might be a factor to consider as well.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 09:27 PM

I was at Bryce Canyon with a friend 9-10 October 2003, and it was clear and beautiful the day we arrived. The next day, it was drizzling rain on and off and the views were dramatically obscured because of this. Be prepared for cool temps at that altitude in the evenings, and also bring something to slip on that is waterproof.

We were able, however, to get in a 30 minutes helicopter ride over the canyon. Wow! Talk about a unique and spectcular view. We drove along the rim, and also hiked the Queen's Garden Loop and part of the rim trail. It was sufficient for us. We decided to forgo the horseback riding.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 09:48 PM

I just got back from Zion and Bryce. I very highly recommend the horseback ride. I was concerned about being sore after being in the saddle that long but the cowboy put me on the right mule with the stirrups adjusted perfect. My wife and I were all smiles the whole ride. Don't miss it!
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 03:03 AM

We were in Bryce in July and did the mule/horse half day trip. It was fantastic! Our daughter (11) loved it. The cowboy was great and funny. Even though I am scared of heights, the view was soooo beautiful that I forgot (mostly) about being scared. After the ride we walked the soreness off in the Navajo Trail - absolute must! I loved Bryce, it was a vacation high point.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 05:55 AM

I will second the horse ride. There is an option for a 2 hour ride (which my family took last summer). This would leave you more hiking time.

If you are not a regular rider, you can anticipate some soreness: knees, butt, perhaps back even on the 2 hour model. Absolutely wear jeans!

It's a great thing to do and well worth it! Try and get to Bryce for sunrise or stay for the sunset.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 06:56 AM

I'd also recommend doing both the half day (really 3.5 hours) horseback ride and the Navajo/Queen's Garden loop. Because of afternoon heat and thunderstorms in the summer, the ride ought to be taken in the morning at that time of year. Since you'll be going during cool weather, you can ride in the afternoon, and get the walking out of the way in the morning, if you get to the park in time.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Syv

I second the horse (mostly mules) ride. Great fun, informative guide. They've "trained" the mules to walk right up to the edge and hang their head over. So from your view - all you see is air & down! DON'T WORRY! All 4 mule feet are safely planted on firm ground. Happens daily ;-)
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 07:41 AM

Navajo (Sunset Point Down the canyon)/Queens Garden (Sunrise Point up the canyon)- 3 mile loop in the morning (early), then Lunch, then 3 hour (1/2 day) mule ride at 1:00pm. Perfect!
You will still have some time to see the major rim overlooks (Fairyland, sunrise, sunset, Paria, Bryce, inspiration).
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 05:23 PM
emd
Original Poster

Very good info, advice, and recommendations! Thank you all.
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 09:01 AM
emd
Original Poster

I have decided to do one of the hikes you have suggested in the a.m. and then the mule ride in afternoon (and then back to Zion for a massage at Flangian's new spa- does a day get any better than that?)

Do any of you have the phone number for making the mule ride reservations? And how far in advance did you make the reservations?
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 01:48 PM

If you want the horse/mule ride in Bryce National Park then you have to book with the concession sanctioned by the park service!

http://www.nps.gov/brca/horseback_riding.html

If you book at a concession outside the park you ride outside the park.

I might not have done a horseback ride but we have looked into it! Also they have a weight limit of 230 pounds and they do have a scale there to check your weight.

Utahtea
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 02:51 PM

Be careful who you book your mule ride with. The ride with Ruby's does not go into the canyon. Call Canyon Trail Rides at 435-679-8665 or go to www.olwm.com/canyonrides/. We did this last year and loved it. Combined with a drive along the road to all the overlooks, we had a great experience at Bryce.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Syv

To 2nd what Utahtea posted -- book directly through the National Park Service website (& whatever it links you to).
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 03:59 PM

Have any of you all expereinced having a booking for a horse/mule ride and then having it snow that day? Do they still go, depending on how much snow? I imagine they won't go if it is too much, due to animal's footing and chance of slipping, but do they go if it is just a little snow?