Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Bryce Canyon Lodge vs Zion Lodge (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bryce-canyon-lodge-vs-zion-lodge-422660/)

DebInTN Aug 31st, 2008 03:22 PM

Bryce Canyon Lodge vs Zion Lodge

Trying to decide which to stay in. Anybody done both? Or have better suggestion for staying in a central location between the parks?

NeoPatrick Aug 31st, 2008 04:15 PM

I've done both. The "lodge" at Bryce is really a lot of cabins scattered about, which I really liked. There are only three or so rooms in the actual lodge and they are not so nice but are huge (we got stuck in one once instead of a cabin). There is a little more variety of accomodations at the "lodge" in Zion. We stayed in a sort of "duplex cabin" that was pretty nice.

Dinner in the lodge at Bryce is far better and more atmospheric in my book than dinner in the lodge at Zion, by the way.

MichelleY Aug 31st, 2008 04:29 PM

Definitely stay in the park at Bryce. As Neopatrick said, there are cabins and the lodge and there are also motel-type units. We stayed in the motel units. They were fine.

We did not stay in the park at Zion, but Sprindale has plenty to choose from.

Here is a link to our trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35139760

Good luck,

MY

schmerl Aug 31st, 2008 04:56 PM

I stayed at both this past July. At Bryce we were in a deluxe cabin and it was very nice. Large room with a gas powered fireplace. Two sinks (one outside the bathroom). Zion Lodge was not as nice as our cabin at Bryce, but it was still fine.
I agree with the food being much better at Bryce Lodge than Zion.
Both parks are beautiful, but Bryce has much more "wow" power for me.

Myer Aug 31st, 2008 06:15 PM

Last year I stayed in-park at both.

No tv in either. Big deal.

It's more important in Bryce as you want sunrise at Bryce Point and everything outside is at least a few miles away (Ruby's) or more.

DebInTN Sep 1st, 2008 03:55 AM

Thanks - exactly what I needed to know!

carolv Sep 1st, 2008 05:25 AM

If you have to pick only one park, I'd also suggest Bryce so you can get to see the sunrise (the high point of our trip last summer!)I would recommend a night at both parks if you can do it.

We stayed in a cabin at Bryce and it was really comfortable and we used the gas fireplace at night. The meal was great (I think they do a bryceberry pudding...?)My kids liked the mule ride through the park.

We also stayed at a Green Suite in Zion and I absolutely loved that too. It didn't have the "charm" of the Bryce cabin, but it had beautiful views (I think everything has a great view), was extremely comfortable and had really impressive green features.

Whatever you do, stay in the parks when possible - it's amazing to wake up in those surroundings.

DebInTN Sep 1st, 2008 12:51 PM

We do try to stay inside the natl parks whenever we can. Sounds like the cabins at Bryce may be what would suit us best. We are planning a trip for the end of Sept 09. Any particular cabin that has better view than others? or one that is favored for any other reason?

Connie Sep 1st, 2008 01:36 PM

None of the cabins at Bryce have a view of the canyon but you are close.

We enjoyed the mule rides too. If you do it, I'd do the 4 hours trip. It does get a bit scary when the mules walk right on the edge but they know what they are doing and don't ever fall off.

carolv Sep 1st, 2008 04:10 PM

At Bryce, you can ask for a cabin close to the rim if that's possible. No view of the canyon, but it's only a few steps to walk over. Also, the porches are very nice to sit on. All in all, Bryce is much easier to get a handle on although we absolutely loved both parks.

Myer Sep 1st, 2008 04:21 PM

When I stayed in Bryce I didn't have a cabin. I had a room in a building on the second floor.

Still, about 50 yards from the rim between Sunrise & Sunset Points.

That's a 5-7 minute walk to either.

MichelleY Sep 1st, 2008 04:56 PM

If you do end up in the "motel type" rooms, like Myer, make sure to get a 2nd floor room. Much nicer to sit out on your "balcony", rather than a "patio" with others walking by.

MY

ellen_griswold Sep 2nd, 2008 12:07 PM

We've stayed in both parks several times, and definitely prefer the motel type rooms. In both bryce and zion, you'll have a balconies that are great for am coffee. Both are close to everything in terms of seeing the sunrise, sunset, ranger talks that are in the main building with restaurants and gift shoppes.

If you can't get into zion, definitely check out the desert pearl in springdale. Its a treasure!

We didn't see much difference in food within either park but when traveling we're all about the experience vs. the actual food. The dining room itself at bryce is nicer. Be sure to pick up picnic foods and enjoy lunch or dinner in the park. Springdale is just outside of zion and has more to offer in terms of dining. Oscars and zion noodle and pizza are favorites.

One of our most memorable meals was anything but gourmet. We arrived back at the lodge late after a hike and ended up eating very mediocre fare from their snack bar on a picnic table just outside the main lodge. At least a dozen deer entertained us for an hour or so as they gracefully wandered closeby. We have deer in our own wooded back yard but nothing like seeing them with the red cliffs backdrop.

Happy planning!

ellen_griswold Sep 2nd, 2008 12:11 PM

Also meant to add that its better to stay in both parks, not in a centralized location. You'll actually end up having more time at both.