Bryce Canyon Lodge Vs B.W. Ruby's Inn

Old Mar 18th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bryce Canyon Lodge Vs B.W. Ruby's Inn

This might have been discussed already, but anyway

My travel agent has given me quotation for one night in Bryce Canyon in October 03,and apparently Bryce Canyon Lodge is twice as expensive as the Best Western Ruby's Inn (including all sorts of taxes and commissions).

Now is it worth paying double to be 'in the park' or not? That's the question!
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 08:58 AM

Really? When I stayed at Bryce Canyon Lodge a few years ago it cost something like $85/night. We stayed in a cabin about 150' from the rim. The cabin was was really rustic. I don't remember if it had a TV but it had a gas fireplace which was neat. We wanted to stay near the rim because sunrises at Bryce can be truly amazing! However, it was blizzard-like conditions the whole time we were there.

I can't comment on the rooms at Ruby's...I've never stayed there.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 12:04 PM

Ruby's is just your standard hotel room - nothing special. They have a few shops, a restaurant, and an indoor pool and hot tub, but the hotel doesn't have a lot of character. It's a clean, cheap place to stay. it is very close to the park, but you don't get the views that you might get at the Lodge.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 01:26 PM

I don't get your prices. We stayed once at Ruby's because we couldn't get into the lodge and last year stayed at the Lodge (actually in the cabins, there are only about three rooms in the lodge itself and not nearly so nice as the cabins), but the prices at the lodge were nowhere near double Ruby's!
In any case it would be "worth it" in my opinion to spend up to four times as much for cabins at the lodge as opposed to Ruby's!!!
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 05:11 PM

I would definitely recommend the Bryce Canyon Lodge over Ruby's. Ruby's is just a hotel and usually full of all the tour buses. Sunrise & sunset at the rim is the place to be!
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

I know I have probably a little pricing issue with my travel agent, Bryce Lodge is not the only hotel she has quoted on the high side.
Her only answer is that in addition to prices I might find on the Net, there are taxes, and some commission. I know she's working with an American travel agent so it probably means double commissions!

I know I could book it all myself thru the Net, but she's been really very helpful (lent us her books, and all) when we were looking for US trip ideas. Also in some places she recommended some hotels I wouldn't have found myself, that do look great (Cliffrose Lodge in Springdale for example).

So I would really feel bad to tell her 'Thanks but no thanks'!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 06:50 PM

Hi JCee,

A really good travel agent can be worth their fees. If they know what they're talking about, they can save you time. They make their living this way and are certainly entitled to commissions. It's all up to you how much you value this service.

You might just do a reality check. Call the Lodge yourself, ask for room rates including all taxes and fees. Then see how much commission you agent is making. I certainly don't see ANY reason to pay double commissions just because she's going through American. Totally unnecessary. It doesn't sound like the airline is giving you any package breaks, so why pay them commission on lodging?
Have fun!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:34 PM
CalgirlSusan

Dayle, I could be wrong but I think Barthox meant an American travel agent, not an agent with American Airlines. So what the double commission means is that you end of paying a commission to your own travel agent, plus one to the agent in the US.

But I agree an agent CAN be worth their fees if they really know what they are talking about. I strongly suspect this one doesn't. If you are doing the legwork and having to check these things out for yourself, what good is the agent? One reason I never use one any more. It doesn't sound like you can get the information you really need from the agent anyway -- things like a good comparison of the two places, otherwise you wouldn't have to ask here.

Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 10:47 AM

I know everyone has different priorities but for me, planning the vacation myself is half the fun. I know it takes a lot of time, but I think I wouldn't enjoy it nearly so much if someone else planned it.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:51 PM

imsa: me, too. i have planned my southwest trips for the last 4 years. i start calling in june (only 800 numbers) and leave in mid-sept.

i stayed at ruby's and compared to a lot of mom and pop motels in that area, it was quite nice. two outdoor pools, one indoor, a cafeteria, endless trinket shops, a little rodeo and wagon ride each night. quite commercial. right next to bryce entrance. cliffrose is very nice, zion is tops.