Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Brunches in Maui--Recommendations?? Maui Prince Hotel Sunday Brunch worth it?

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were considering going to the Maui Prince Hotel for Sunday Brunch since it is rated "best Sunday brunch on the island". I understand it includes champagne for $40/pp. How is the food? Is it worth it? What kinds of choices? Is there sushi? Any other recommendations of Brunches, Sunday or otherwise would be appreciated. We are not staying in South Maui, and was wondering if it was worth the trip. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 03:23 PM

I had this same question so thought I'd bring it to the top and hope for some input.
Thanks, Laurie
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 04:51 PM
gyppielou

Kapalua always had a great brunch which is in your neck of the woods. Hope it still lives up to its reputation.

Old Dec 12th, 2003, 05:10 PM

The Maui Prince and Kapalua are over an hour's drive apart. Kapalua is on the north west side of Maui and The Prince is at Wailea (Makena) on the south west side.
Just for fun, check out the map of Maui...Looks like a wahine (gal), right?!? Kapalua is at the forehead, Wailea is on the BREASTS!
The Prince also has the best beach for snorkling on the West (leeward) side.
Make a day of it. Eat like a pig and then float face down for the rest of the day!!! Aloah!!!
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 05:11 PM

Correction: Aloha!
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 08:04 PM

we had brunch at the maui prince a couple of years ago on Easter- it was fabulous....well worth it. wear comfortable clothes and be prepared to splurge. great service-tons of variety.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

To 2sweets:
Since I posted this question originally, I have come and gone from Maui. We scouted out the Kapalua Bay Hotel one afternoon while we were in west maui, and I have to say. the open air restaurant and view had me sold. That is where I wanted to go for my one Sunday brunch while on Maui. (I love Sunday brunches where they have unusual dishes that you can wash down with lots of bubbly. It makes for a very festive start to the week.) My husband wanted to check out south maui, and so after much discussion we decided to make a day of it in south maui and go to the Maui Prince for our Sunday Brunch. The brunch and champagne were excellent. Lots of choices, and they kept the champagne flowing without asking for it. The hotel is beautiful, but the restaurant itself is not open air. You are inside a regular restaurant with windows along one wall, and we were told that the section with what I thought had the best view was "saved" for tables for four. They put us along the wall in the far end of the restaurant (at a table set for four), and only after we complained twice, and didn't sit down, did they compromise and move us half way forward so we could view the foilage of the grounds and the ocean in the far, far distance. (We were dressed nicely, got there early, so I am thinking maybe they save those tables for hotel guests.)I was annoyed because I made reservations three months in advance and requested a special table with a view because we were celebrating our anniversary on that day. We had a wonderful day, but next time I will definitely check out the Kapaula Bay Hotel's brunch, as the atmosphere of their restaurant was more serene, and beautiful. Have a great time!
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 04:42 PM

Thanks for all the responses-sounds like I can't go wrong with brunch at either the Maui Prince or Kapalua Bay.
I'll probably decide based on what we plan to do the rest of the day. I am leaning toward trying Kapalua Bay-their menu is posted on their website and looks great!! http://www.kapaluabayhotel.com/de_gcbrunchmenu.htm and the open air restaurant would be really nice for us coming from a cold Maine winter!!
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

2sweets:
The Kapalua sunday brunch menu looks fabulous! They have oysters which the Maui Prince did not. If free flowing champagne is important to you, ask if that is included when making your reservations. (It is not mentioned on the Sunday brunch menu.) Of course one could always choose to purchase drinks a-la-carte. Have a wonderful time in Maui.