Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

*BRRrrr!* It's Getting Cold! Where to get away for less than $1,000 from NYC?????

Search

*BRRrrr!* It's Getting Cold! Where to get away for less than $1,000 from NYC?????

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Brrr

My husband and I are tired, stressed & both experiencing symptoms of anxiety (chest pains, anxiety attacks, etc.) We just really need to get away for some serious R&R next weekend...any suggestions? Feel free to include trip reports! =D

Love B&B's that include hearty breakfasts, board games, pool table??, movies/cable in the room, private bath...*chichi* (or semi-chichi) experience in a warm & cozy four poster beds with soft/clean sheets & plushy featherbed...jacuzzi for two is also a big plus...sure, why not a fireplace too?
(guesstimate budget of no more than $150/night???)

Preferably no more than a two-hour drive, near antique stores, flea markets and/or farmers market, estate tours...ok, outlet stores are ok if the mood strikes us...

Would love to have at least one night where we can splurge on a romantic dinner for two...he doesn't eat raw foods and I'm a meat and potatoes kind of gal... any restaurant recommendations?

Thank you all!! =D

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 02:16 AM
Debbie

Hi,
What about New Hope, PA? I haven't been in a long time, but I'm sure it's still nice. I sent my parents there for their anniversary 4yrs ago and they really enjoyed themselves. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the b&b...I'll post later if it comes to me!

Debbie

Another idea if you're willing to hop on a plane: Sedona, AZ

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 03:26 AM
George

Costa Rica look into it!

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 03:28 AM
George

Sorry I did not read down the part that said a two hour drive. Not a lot of imagination to figure this one out so I will leave it to others.

Have fun!

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 04:03 AM
xxx

You were implying a warm place from the title of your post. A 2 hr. drive won't find you a warm place. For a relaxed Autumn weekend I also suggest New Hope Pa. Many B&B's, scenic, great restaurants, a little playhouse, and wineries to visit. Lambertville on the New Jersey side has great shopping and antiques. Also I wouldn't rule out Cape May New Jersey. Perhaps more than a 2 hour drive. Charming B&B's on the ocean, carriage rides, very romantic.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 04:24 AM
nina

Brrr,
For a budget of under $1000 for 2, you could go for 3 or 4 nights to Punta Cana in the caribbean at an upscale, all inclusive resort. I'm not kidding, check out Travelbyjen.com. they have specials until mid December that are awesome!

I've been and the beaches are gorgeous, the weather is in the 80's, and it's incredibly relaxing. You just have to decide which restaurant you want to eat at for dinner, or which drink you want.

If I were willing to spend that much, you can bet that's where I'd be heading. It's about $380 for 3 nights and a little more for 4. You only have to drive as far as the airport.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 05:27 AM
jill

for two hours travel and $1,000-I can only think of Florida.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 07:27 AM
bettyk

How about New Orleans? Site59.com has 5-night flight & hotel packages from NYC next weekend for around $400 per person.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:07 AM
xyz

You say you want no more than a two hour drive and you want to go some place warm (I assume from the title of your post) but you don't advise where you're from. I also find it difficult to imagine finding a warm place two hours away from your home base where it's supposedly cold.

Anyway, I second the Punta Cana idea if you're looking for something warm but don't mind flying instead of driving and that it will take more time to get there. Apple vacations are also having specials. This morning I heard on the radio 7 nights, all inclusive, including air for $860 per person. A bit out of your price range but you might be able to find something for less and for a shorter duration. Mexico is a shorter flight and there are usually specials for that destination also. If interested, check with a travel agent. Let us know what you decide!

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:09 AM
xyz

Sorry, my mistake, just saw that you're from NYC.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 09:15 AM
suzanne

It's really warm (60s) and nice outside today in NYC and will be all weekend...hope it will help relieve some of your stress!

I have a few suggestions for a weekend getaway: Cold Spring and New Paltz.

Cold Spring is a quaint town on the Hudson (east side, across from West Point). It's FULL of antique shops and B&Bs and is in a beautiful setting. You could even take Metro-North right to the center of town...only a little over an hour from NYC.

New Paltz is a college town about 2 hours north of the city, and also has several B&Bs. Woodbury Commons outlets are on the drive up! I'm heading up to Mohonk Mountain House there this weekend...a resort on a lake, which has a lot of what you're looking for except the affordable price, unfortunately. I think you might have trouble finding what you want for $150/nt. But if you find someplace, please let us know!

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Nancy

It's going to be a beautiful weekend - high 60's....head to Cape May or Lambertville/New Hope area. If you are looking for a place with a fireplace, jacuzzi, and other nice amenities, I don't think you will find it for $150 a night. The Inn at Lambertville Station has suites w/fireplaces for about $200 and there are great restaurants in the area. As for Cape May, try Congress Hall, just renovated and it will also be in the high 60's this weekend. That's where we are going.........luckily our friends have a condo. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Brrr

Wow, great suggestions! I'll get cracking to check them out. But just to clarify (apologize for the confusion), flying to somewhere HOT would be great too as long as the flight itself doesn't take up most of the trip! LOL =)

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:19 AM
cancun

Cancun...always cheap.