Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Brown's Beach House, the Canoe House, Pahu'Ia or Merrimens

Jul 18th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Hawaii

I only have time for 2, or possibly 3 of these restaurants. I have read that Merrimens and the Canoe House have been inconsistent with there food quality lately, although the ambience at these restaurants is is always wonderful.

If you have been to any of these restaurants recently, please tell me what you thought of them. I'll be going to the Big Island in a few weeks and I want to make the reservations ahead of time so that we are not disappointed.

Thanks!

Jul 19th, 2002, 05:52 AM
max

We had a very good dinner at Merriman's in late May. We also had very good dinners at Roy's, the Coast Grill (beautiful setting), and Huggo's (fantastic seafood risotto). I chose the Coast Grill over the Canoe House, even though we were staying at the Mauna Lani, because the concierge didn't sound enthusiastic about the Canoe House, but heartily recommended the Coast Grill.
We also had good meals, but not quite as good as at the first four places, at the Bamboo Restaurant and the Big Island Steakhouse (we needed a break from Hawaiian/seafood).
Our meal was good at Roussel's (creole), but the restaurant,at the golf course at Waikoloa Village, was so empty it was disconcerting.
The breakfast buffet at the Mauna Lani is very expensive but mind-boggling. However, it was part of our package.

Jul 19th, 2002, 05:54 AM
max

Forgot to point out that although our meal at Merriman's was great,it is an indoor restaurant with no view, compared to the Coast Grill, Canoe House, and Huggo's, which are oceanfront.

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Hawaii

Thank you, Max. It is interesting that the conciege at the Mauna Lani didn't even sound excited about the Canoe House. I got the same reaction from the concierge at the Four Seasons about the Canoe House. Yet, it seems like most posts on this board, as well as most guide books, seem to love the Canoe House. The inconsistencies regarding reviews is what led me to post this question. Thanks again!

Jul 20th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Hawaii

Love to hear more about these restaurants.

Jul 20th, 2002, 07:08 PM
cindy

We just returned from the Big Island less than a month ago. We tried the Canoe house and it was fantastic! We also tried dinner at the one of the restaurants at Hapuna Beach Prince hotel and it was equally as good. Although we stayed at the Four seasons, we didn't eat at it's restuarant for dinner. It seemed more expensive and possibly not as quite of a good value as the other two restaurants. A couple we met on our trip said that they loved Brown's Beach house although we didn't get a chance to try it.

Jul 21st, 2002, 07:53 AM
Hawaii

Cindy, thanks for the detailed information. I have read so many good things about Pahu'Ia that I was thinking about trying it. On the other hand, our stay includes breakfast so we will be in that restaurant quite a bit anyway. We will also eat at the Beach Tree for their Sun, Sand, and Stars barbeque and buffet. So, maybe I'll skip Pahu'Ia for dinner and dine at the Canoe House. Also, the concierge at the Four Seasons highly recommended Brown's Beach House. Eating at Brown's and the Canoe House also gives us the opportunity to check out 2 other resorts, which I always enjoy doing. Before we finally decided to stay at the Four Seasons, the Orchid and the Mauna Lani were our other possible choices.