Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Brooklyn/Lower East Side/One Day (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/brooklyn-lower-east-side-one-day-856853/)

travelottie Aug 28th, 2010 03:08 PM

Brooklyn/Lower East Side/One Day

My husband & I plan to meet my nephew in NYC next week. My nephew is there for business and will have one free day. We've all been to NYC many times and are considering Brooklyn this time. My husband has no mobility problems but does have fatigue issues, so running from place to place in Brooklyn is not an option. Everyone has warned me that it's large and spread out.

How does this sound?
Subway from Penn station to Grimaldi Patsy's pizza for noon opening (if it is still open. I have read it may close due to tax issues). Look around Fulton Ferry landing. Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory.

Brooklyn Heights Promenade (do we walk or subway there?)
Back to Brooklyn Bridge subway stop and walk across bridge.

It would probably make sense to go to farthest point, Brooklyn Promenade, first. Then go for pizza and over bridge into Manhattan, but then we would miss Patsy's opening and would have to contend with long lines. Of course we could skip this and eat someplace else. Dinner will be planned by my nephew so I don't need to research that.

Any suggestions for things to do/see in City Hall area & Lower East Side. My nephew is staying with a friend in Lower East Side (I don't know address). We could go back to apt & rest and then it might be a chance to tour this area rather than Upper/Middle East & West Side. We're ruled out large museums or shopping this trip.

Any suggestions and good DIRECTIONS will be appreciated. Thank you.

mclaurie Aug 28th, 2010 06:06 PM

Grimaldi's is always mobbed with tourists. Unless you arrive at 11:30, you're likely to wait in line. I suggest you start using maps.google.com to get an idea of distances and for directions. You can just type Grimaldi's Pizza Brooklyn NY to Brooklyn Promenade and get a map. Click the walking icon at top for distance/estimated time. Click the train icon for transport options. You can also get an idea of what's around any area by mapping it and then clicking the "search nearby" option for whatever you want (sightseeing, museums etc.) The Tenement museum is a popular spot on the les. There's also a lot of iconic food places like Katz's deli, Russ Daughters for bialys, Economy Candy etc.

Aduchamp1 Aug 28th, 2010 09:44 PM

Please note that Kossar's makes bialys and Russ and Daughters is known for their various types of smoked fish. Neither has a place to sit and eat.

travelottie Aug 29th, 2010 03:32 AM

Thank you for the replies.

mclaurie I will check google maps - thanks for the suggestions for accessing distance/estimated times, trains, and nearby sights. I have not done that before and love to research, so that should be very useful to me.

Auchamps1 I forgot about Kossar's and am not familiar with Russ and Daughters - will check it out.

Aduchamp1 Aug 29th, 2010 04:47 AM

Other unique food stores in the general vicinity-

Pickle Guys
Donut Planet
Essex Street Market (closed Sundays) unusual belnd of Latino stores, hipsters, and a small barbershop.
Falai at 68 Clinton Street
Il Laboratorio del Gelato
Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery

kangamom Aug 29th, 2010 05:34 AM

This is the way I would do it. Subway to Brooklyn Promenade first, then walk to the Fulton Ferry Landing. The reason I say this is that the walk from the Brooklyn Promenade is downhill. Also, if you want to go back to the Promenade after being at the Fulton Ferry landing, you will be going uphill, backtracking, and going out of your way a bit.

The line for Grimaldi's is long, but I've found that the line actually moves pretty quickly and I personally think it is better to go about an hour after opening time in case you are not part of the first group (For example, if you are part of the second group after the first group, you will be waiting for everyone to sit down, eat, order and finish eating before you get in).

After Grimaldi's you can go down to the Fulton Ferry Landing for ice cream and nice views. After that you can walk along the bottom of the bridge to get to the walking entrance of the Brooklyn Bridge.

kmt0778 Aug 29th, 2010 06:31 AM

Bookmarking

travelottie Aug 29th, 2010 09:34 AM

kangamon, your info is very helpful - thank you. Will do it the way you're recommending. Is there only one stop for promenade area?

I have wondered about this 1st or 2nd group seating issue at Grimaldi's. Last time I was there we lucked out to be seated in 1st group.

If there is too long a wait, anything else in the area or shortly over the bridge on Manhattan side that you would take someone from out of town to experience.? Doesn't have to be pizza - casual type place, ethnic or not, is OK. My nephew has already sampled NYC deli.

I have this saved from "Best Thing I Ever Ate" Food Network but don't know about the locations. We will have metro passes.

http://www.nickyssandwiches.com/

aduchamps1, I will check out the list now and take it with me. Il Laboratorio del Gelato or Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, or both should be fun!

travelottie Aug 29th, 2010 09:50 AM

aduchamps1, i had to write and tell you that I especially like the idea of stopping at Essex St Market and Falai.
Thank you again.

Aduchamp1 Aug 29th, 2010 03:16 PM

Thank you

Enjoy your trip.

kangamom Aug 30th, 2010 03:07 AM

Grimaldi's and the Fulton Ferry Landing are probably less than a block apart, very close, you can see the Fulton Ferry Landing from Grimaldi's. There is also a "pizza restaurant" right on the corner down the street from Grimaldi's, closer to the Fulton Ferry landing. I can't remember the name, but it is new and the pizza looks pretty good (although I have not eaten there so I cannot vouch for it completely, but it looks like thin crust wood oven type). Other than that, there aren't too many "special" places to eat, except for River Cafe, which is a bit fancy.

There is also a fantastic new park right to the left of Fulton Ferry Landing that used to be part of the Pier. It has a beautiful sloping meadow with nice views to the Status of Liberty. Its a very nice example of what the new urban park design looks like in NYC (they are building in hills and valleys!).

If you wanted to go further into DUMBO (the area Down Under the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridge Overpass), you can make a visit to Jacque Torres (chocolate shop). Across the street from Jacque Torres is an amazing bakery called Almondine, which IMO has the best baguettes in NYC as well as delicious french style Tuna Sandwiches (& other sandwiches), soup, quiche, and pastries.

travelottie Aug 30th, 2010 03:40 AM

kangamon, Great info! The new park sounds lovely and I will certainly look for it. I knew about Jacque Torres, now I can add Almondine.

Using Goggle maps, I discovered that Nicky's Vietnamese sandwiches http://www.nickyssandwiches.com/, is walking distance to where my nephew is staying in LES, so that's a possibility for later.

I'm still unclear about one thing - Is there only one train stop for Brooklyn Heights Promenade (borough hall)? Will I know which direction to walk when exiting the subway? Ordinarily I do not worry about this type of thing ahead of time but I have to somewhat limit the walking this time due to my husband's medical issues.

I appreciate all the specific advice - thank you very much. Lottie