Brookfield Zoo - Outside of Chicago

Old May 31st, 2002, 07:52 AM
mom

Brookfield Zoo - Outside of Chicago

Thoughts and opinions on this zoo please. We will be in Chicago, again, for summer vacation. We love to visit zoos but seems we have never taken a day to do this when we have been to Chicago. Always, plan to, but always seem to find something else to do. Do you feel this zoo is worth the time to visit it? Is it comparable to the San Diego Zoo? Any first hand information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old May 31st, 2002, 07:56 AM
bj

I've never been to the S.D. zoo but I can tell you the Brookfield zoo is really wonderful and absolutely worth a days visit. I'm from Milwaukee but I always try to get there when in Chi-town. After the field museum, its my second favorite attraction.

Old May 31st, 2002, 07:58 AM
Laurie

I have never been to San Diego Zoo (but am planning a trip this summer) so I can't really compare the two. However, Brookfield Zoo is a beautiful zoo and I think it is worth the trip if you are visiting Chicago. It is a pretty big zoo and will take you all day to see everything. Lincoln Park Zoo (on the north side of the city) is also a nice zoo. It is very pretty but it is not nearly as large as Brookfield.

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:31 AM
alex

I really like Brookfield Zoo. I also have not been to the S.D. Zoo but I remember looking at a book in the travel section of Barnes & Noble that had details on the top zoos around the country (in the author's opinion). I think it was The Zoo Book: A Guide To America's Best. The author rated several animal collections at Brookfield higher than S.D. (I am not saying the zoo was rated higher - just that the author considered several exhibits to be better). Maybe it would be worth checking this book out. I recently went to the Audabon Zoo in New Orleans which is also very highly rated and, while it is nice, Brookfield blows it away, in terms of size, amenities, and exhibits. Brookfield has a very good website.

http://www.brookfieldzoo.org/

Old May 31st, 2002, 10:04 AM
mom

Thank you all for your replies. We have also been to the zoo in New Orleans and enjoyed it as well. Looks like we need to schedule it for a day. By the way, if you are ever in Fort Worth, we have a great zoo here as well! Thanks again for all the advice.