Broadway with teenagers

Search

Broadway with teenagers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broadway with teenagers

Any ideas for Broadway shows in April for family of four with 2 teenagers? Girl 14 boy 16.. was thinking Hairspray/Is he Dead/Rent.? Know daughter would love Legally Blonde...but son might gag at the thought
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:34 AM

Alphabetically: Grease, Hairspray or Rent.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:30 AM

Rent is closing on June 1, so you can expect this to be a hot ticket until then. If you want to see it, you should buy tickets now.

Add Spring Awakening to your list ... infinitely better than Legally Blonde. Hairspray is great fun; Grease I guess one could stomach, but not my favorite show by any means. Also consider Xanadu, excellent and very entertaining.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:08 AM

If you choose "Spring Awakening," please read about it first to be sure you are comfortable with what your kids will be seeing onstage.

My daughter has seen it several times, the first when she was 14 like yours, and loves it. But, do educate yourself first on it.

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:21 AM

Doug is correct about Grease not being the greatest show, but for young teenagers, it fills the entertainment bill and then some!
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:58 AM

There was an article in the NY Times about 6 weeks ago regarding the appeal of Broadway shows to 12 and 13 year old girls. (Spring Awakening and others being the exceptions.)

There are brief descriptions of all Broadway musicals and plays in Time Out NY, New York, New Yorker, NY Times among others. Maybe your son could read them before deciding. Or just drop him off at ESPN Zone.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:18 AM
Brutforce

It is off Broadway but I've talking kids of all ages to see "STOMP".

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:49 AM

How about Lion King? I have heard Spring Awakening is good, but has "mature" themes, as does Rent. I haven't seen it, so I can't recommend, but Young Frankenstein might work.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 04:15 PM

I would do Rent if you can get it, then Hairspray. I don't get Lion King except for little kids - but I know I'm in the minority (we didn't walk out since we had taken a niece and nephew).
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 04:41 PM

I'd do Rent, it's an institution. I saw it the first time with my mom and 16 y.o. brother when I was 13, and if your teens are mature, they'll be fine. Spring Awakening is WONDERFUL but adult for sure (sex, abortion, implied sexual assault and suicide - but tastefully done, if that makes sense.) When it came out it was deemed "the new Rent." Again, depends on the comfort of your family.

Hairspray would be fun, as would Wicked, if you can get tickets. Lion King is breathtaking in its staging and costumes, but not the greatest story and music compared to other shows, in my opinion.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Bethke14, once again Rent is closing, so it is NOT an option for the poster going in April.

Glasgowgirl, the offBroadway show AltarBoyz is another option the teens will love. Discounted tickets at about $59 are available through June. See playbill.com.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 07:39 PM
dmlove

NeoPatrick, according to Doug's post, Rent isn't closing until June 1st, so in fact it IS an option for April.

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 07:51 PM

I, personally, would not take kids that age to see Spring Awakening or Rent.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 07:55 PM

Rent is closing June 1, 2008. I thought the OP meant April of this year - if they are going April 2009, then it will be closed.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 07:58 PM

I agree that Altarboyz is very funny, and would be topical for teens, since it mocks the whole boy band concept. Apparently, they actually sell $25 tickets to each show at the box office.

Now that I think about it, I was probably 14 or 15 the first time I saw Rent, so maybe it's not too mature after all. If I had to choose, I'd go with Rent. As mentioned, it doesnt close until June, so it will still be around in April.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 07:53 AM

No one here mentioned Spamalot. Its very funny and now stars Clay Aiken- of American Idol fame.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Unless the kids are VEY naive and sheltered they should be fine with both shows. We too my 12 year old nephew and a friend to Rent and they both lived it. (Granted they are city kids - but how naive are any teens with the availability of anything on TV and the internet?)
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:57 AM

I wrote about this recently on another forum, but my husband & I just saw Grease and thought most high schools could do as good as job. Don't waste your money on it unless your kids REALLY like the idea of seeing the stars from NBC's "You're the One That I Want.," who, by the way, did a lousy job. We also saw Mama Mia which was a lot of fun and although it had it share of raunchy moments, overall it was a really upbeat happy show. Your daughter would love it because they're planning a wedding, and your son? Yeah, I'd drop him & your husband off at ESPN zone! Actually, I'd try hard for tickets to Lion King or maybe Little Mermaid, though I hear that's gotten lousy reviews across the board.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 09:29 AM
dmlove

We all saw Mamma Mia in London when my kids were, I think, 15 (girl) and 17 (boy) and we all absolutely loved it. (didn't have the same appeal second time around in San Jose, but the first time was a hoot - everybody up in their seats dancing and singing....just a fun fun night)

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 10:34 AM

I'd rethink Legally Blonde- my DH loved it, and i never ever thought he would. I think guys would get a kick out of it as much as girls-- moreso than the movie. I second Spamalot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -