Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   broadway tickets- discount (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/broadway-tickets-discount-357739/)

MelissaBeckoff Sep 12th, 2003 07:40 PM

broadway tickets- discount

where are discounted tickets available? in advance

HowardR Sep 13th, 2003 04:52 AM

You'll get all kinds of helpful info on discounted tickets at this site:
http://home.nyc.rr.com/frugaltheatergoe
(Note that there is no "r" at the end of that address.)
It's a useful site for any theatergoer looking for bargains.

Nikki Sep 13th, 2003 07:15 AM

Try these websites:

www.playbill.com

www.hitshowclub.com

MelissaBeckoff Sep 13th, 2003 07:16 AM

Thanks

Tess_Durberville Sep 13th, 2003 07:52 AM

As Nikki mentioned Playbill is a good website. Also for theatre information, www.theatremania.com

HowardR Sep 13th, 2003 11:29 AM

Go to the site of my original posting. It's a sort of clearinghouse of information about all of the above-mentioned and other sites.

Dalles Sep 13th, 2003 07:52 PM

Also look at broadway.com

mlm59 Sep 14th, 2003 12:10 PM

Does anyone have experience buying tickets at the half price tickets booths? I am going to NYC with 6 other women Oct 3-5 (Fri-Sun). The majority of the group thinks we should not buy tickets in advance. We want to see a Saturday matinee. They think we should see what is available Friday afternoon at the TKTS booth and if we don't like what they have to offer we should try again Saturday morning. They think this will be the least expensive way to see a show. Are they right? What are our chances of seeing one of the top shows? Also another question: We will be sight-seeing on Saturday and taking time out to see a matinee performance. We it be acceptable for us to go to the theater dressed casually?

Patrick Sep 14th, 2003 12:41 PM

At the Times Square booth you can't get Saturday matinee tickets on Saturday; you'll have to wait until Saturday morning. They used to sell matinee tickets the day ahead at the World Trade Center booth, and I'm assuming they still do near there at the "Bowling Green" TCKTS booth.

Casual dress is perfectly acceptable these days. I even once sat in front of two guys wearing tank tops and nylon jogging shorts -- they looked like they just came in off the track.

Don't expect good seats for a top show, but yes there will be a number of shows available at the booth if you aren't being too picky about what the show is. Usually you can get good seats for 42nd Street or possibly Thoroughly Modern Millie or Chicago if you are looking for musicals.

Patrick Sep 14th, 2003 12:44 PM

Duh, when will I learn to use that preview and edit function.
If you didn't figure it out, I meant you can't get Saturday matinee tickets on FRIDAY!

Also I did not mean to imply that too casual dress is acceptable, but nearly anything will be seen. Fewer and fewer people really dress up though, especially for matinees.

mlm59 Sep 14th, 2003 03:13 PM

Patrick,

Where is the Bowling Green TKTS booth located? We will be arriving on Friday morning and dropping off our luggage at the hotel at 142 W. 49th. If we can get tickets there for a Saturday matinee we can go there Friday after leaving the hotel. Do you know how we would get there via the subway? I also read that there is a TKTS booth at the seaport that would have tickets available Friday for Saturday matinees. I would prefer to go to the location that is easiest and quickest to reach as we hope to go to Battery Park Friday afternoon to catch the ferry to Ellis Island.

Thanks for your help.

MLM

Patrick Sep 14th, 2003 03:52 PM

OK, I think I'm wrong. I just did some checking. Just after 9/11 they reopened the downtown TKTS booth at "Bowling Green", but I guess now there is a permanent location instead at the Seaport. The seaport one is the one now to buy Saturday matinee tickets on Friday.

ziggy Sep 14th, 2003 05:46 PM

I went to the Bowling Green TKTS in May only to have a lady selling hot dogs tell me it is now South Street Seaport TKTS.

The new place is nicer. The Bowling Green booth was actually a trailer with two windows. Now they have a real shop.

Alanino Sep 14th, 2003 06:13 PM

I have had good luck with playbill.com

maadimom Sep 16th, 2003 05:16 AM

www.broadwaybox.com has good discount codes to use with Ticketmaster etc. Had lots of luck there.