Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Broadway Shows: Has KILT been extended or any other Monday night shows to recommend?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/broadway-shows-has-kilt-been-extended-or-any-other-monday-night-shows-to-recommend-202771/)

TC Apr 21st, 2002 10:41 AM

Broadway Shows: Has KILT been extended or any other Monday night shows to recommend??

Will be in NY the first week of May. I have tix for Metamorphasis and Sweet Smell of Success. Was hoping to add a Monday night show - Kilt. Unfortunately it closes the Saturday before I arrive. (1) Does anyone know if Kilt has been extended beyond May 4th? (2) Any other Broadway or Off-Broadway shows to recommend for a Monday night? I was surprised that Sweet Smell of Sucess has Monday shows. Are there others? Thanks so much for any help.<BR>

Howard Apr 21st, 2002 12:10 PM

Not much to choose from on Monday nights:<BR>Into the Woods (revival of Sondheim musical, starring Vanessa Williams, in previews)<BR>Les Miserables<BR>Mamma Mia<BR>Oklahoma<BR>Rent<BR>The Phantom of the Opera<BR>Urinetown<BR>(Note: Sweet Smell of Success does not have Monday performances.)

how Apr 21st, 2002 01:01 PM

The Graduate? I saw it a couple weeks ago, and enjoyed it. On a scale of 1-10 (10 is best) it was a 7 and I found it entertaining.

TC Apr 22nd, 2002 05:14 AM

Howard: Thanks so much for the help. Not to doubt, but I'm certain that the Sweet Smell of Success "performance times" on Telecharge are listed for Mondays - no Sundays. Last week I attempted to purchase tickets to this show for a Sunday matinee and was offered the "next best date", Monday evening. I was very surprised. Could it be that Telecharge is quite off its game? Thanks again for your assistance.

Howard Apr 22nd, 2002 05:20 AM

TC, my error. Sweet Smell of Success does perform on Monday nights. My apologies! (Do you realize that the show got mostly negative reviews?)

TC Apr 22nd, 2002 07:18 AM

I know, Howard. But sometimes a girl has to please other people's taste. I have a very saavy theater friend who saw it last week and he said it wasn't THAT bad. With low expectations one can be pleasantly surprised. What, besides theater, might a lady do on a Monday night in NY while her husband attends a business dinner?

Heather Apr 22nd, 2002 07:22 AM

Hi there!<BR><BR>QED is playing at Lincoln Center on Monday nights. You can read a review here:<BR>&lt;a href="http://gonyc.about.com/library/weekly/aa041602a.htm"&gt;http://gonyc.about.com/library/weekly/aa041602a.htm&lt;/a&gt;.<BR><BR>Have a great visit!<BR><BR>Best,<BR>Heather

TC Apr 22nd, 2002 09:23 AM

Thanks, Heather. I'm not sure in QED is my cup of tea - shades of Copenhagen. However, I really appreciate you advice - and your web site. Lots of good information for those bound for NY.

Howard Apr 22nd, 2002 10:04 AM

Hey, TC, I'd want more than a "wasn't THAT bad" to make me spend money for a show, especially at today's theater prices (even at TKTS prices)! Good luck!

xx Apr 22nd, 2002 10:11 AM

Excuse the ignorance--but what is "Kilt"<BR>Never heard of it!

TC Apr 23rd, 2002 07:47 AM

Couldn't agree more, Howard. "not THAT bad" isn't a great review, but I've seen lots of shows with rave reviews that weren't THAT good. I've seen marvelous shows that the critics hated. Ones critique of entertainment is a very personal thing colord and swayed by many events - past experiences, personal viewpoints, relationships with the material, the amount of theater one sees - just to name a few. I don't think I'll be all that dissappointed with Sweet Smell.., after all I sat through Epic Proportions with Kristin Chenoweth!

Sarah Apr 23rd, 2002 09:03 AM

I saw Sweet Smell of Success last week and really enjoyed it. It seemed like the entire audience really enjoyed it as well. The cast received an extended and enthusiastic standing ovation. While it did receive a number of bad reviews, it also recieved a number of excellent ones. It is the type of show that you'll either really like or hate.

Howard Apr 23rd, 2002 12:24 PM

TC, you've raised an interesting point about how one decides to see--or not to see--something. For me, it's the word of friends and acquaintances whose taste I respect (and there are some of our friends whose tastes in theater leave something to be desired!) and critics for the same reason. We happen to usually agree with Ben Brantley of the Times. So, when he strongly criticizes a show, we usually pass on it. However, when he has "sort of" liked a show or gave it less than a rave but not a pan, it won't stop us or deter us from attending if it's a show we want to see. (Oklahoma is a good case in point. We got tickets for this summer despite his lukewarm review.)<BR>PS: TC, you were braver than I to attend Epic Proportions!

TC Apr 23rd, 2002 01:06 PM

Howard; Did you enjoy Oklahoma? It could be my monday night choice. I wasn't crazy about the movie, but have never seen this material on the stage. Of your original suggests; I've seen Le Miz, Phantom, and Rent, hate ABBA so no interest in Mamma Mia, and ...Woods only has monday shows during previews which is before I arrive. That leaves Oklahoma and Urinetown. What are your opinions on the two? Worth $95 tix or should I just splurge on a great dinner with a friend? Anything to suggest other than theater?

Howard Apr 23rd, 2002 03:25 PM

TC, we're not seeing Oklahoma until early July. While the reviews were's raves, they were sort of favorable. I think some of that may be disappointment after all the hype about how great it was in London.<BR>As for Urinetown, I really can't be of any help. I've heard of people liking it, but no one I know has seen it. It's a satire on musicals.<BR>A quality dinner sounds like a viable substitute. And, I always recommend Chez Josephine, our favorite restaurant.

ttt Apr 24th, 2002 07:58 AM

Topping;<BR>What is KILT????

TC Apr 24th, 2002 08:47 AM

Kilt is an off-Broadway show at Theater 3 that has been very well reviewed. A short synopsis follows. It closes May 4th.<BR><BR>Skeletons emerge from the family closet when Tom, an 'exotic entertainer' of striking talents, accompanies his mother, the redoubtable Esther, back home to Scotland for his grandfather's funeral. <BR>

Howard Apr 25th, 2002 05:16 AM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, TC, but Kilt got a negative review from the Times the other day. And without a favorable Times review, off-Broadway shows have little chance of success.