Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Broadway shows for 13 yr old (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/broadway-shows-for-13-yr-old-627467/)

emd Jun 29th, 2006 04:51 PM

Broadway shows for 13 yr old

I want to get tickets on braodwaybox.com for two, maybe three shows for a three night stay in late August (24th-27th). My daughter is 13, takes a theater arts class, and is a veteran of several shows, including most recently Spamalot, Hairspray, Wicked, and Caroline or Change, all of which she loved.

I think Wedding Singer would be a good start.

What about Dirty Rotten Scoundrels for a 13 yr old? Drowsy Chaperone? We haven't seen Phantom and I also wonder about that. Hot Feet? Momma Mia? As you can tell, I am somewhat lost and need advice.

What do you suggest (that I can hoepfully get reduced price tickets for in August)?

hilda Jun 29th, 2006 05:19 PM

Mama Mia and Hairspray are great shows and I think a 13 year old would enjoy. DRS is highly entertaining, not sure if a 13 year old would like it but I think so.

HowardR Jun 29th, 2006 06:18 PM

The Wedding Singer, The Drowsy Chaperone or Pahntom of the Opera would be fine for the 13-year-older...more so than Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or Mamma Mia.

SAnParis Jun 30th, 2006 04:18 AM

Stomp (Off broadway) pretty much appeals to all ages.

emd Jun 30th, 2006 04:19 AM

Howard, what is it about Dirty Rotten Scoundrels- is it a bit raunchy (a la the Producers) for that age?

Thank you both. I am leaning towards Wedding Singer, Dowsy, and Phantom.

emd Jun 30th, 2006 04:21 AM

I thought about Stomp too, SAnParis. May have to put in a matinee or stay another night.

I hope I am not crazy for braving the August heat in NYC. We live in D.C. and have just about the same heat here, so what the heck. And so far this has been a mild summer. Hope that holds.

ms_go Jun 30th, 2006 04:51 AM

I'm debating the same for a trip in October w/ 13 YO daughter and my mother, so I'm interested in the responses here, too. Right now, our front-runners are 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (even though we could see it here in Chicago) and either Drowsy Chaperone or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (daughter has seen the movie).

SAnParis Jun 30th, 2006 05:03 AM

Stomp is down off of 2nd ave. There is a great little Italian joint around the corner. The theatre is very small which makes for a better than normal performance in my opinion (& I've probably seen Stomp 5 times). Even my four year old loved it.

HowardR Jun 30th, 2006 05:29 AM

emd, it's not so much that DRS might be a little raunchy, it's just that I don't think a 13-year-older would really "get" some of the humor nor enjoy it as much as some of the other shows.

emd Jun 30th, 2006 06:08 AM

OK, thanks Howard. You and mclaurie have helped me so much on two prior trips w/my daughter to NYC. We are still working our way through the lists of things to do that you both and other NYC contributors gave us before out first trip in 2004, and this is our third trip!

I got the tickets this morning for Wedding Singer for Friday night (row O, first two seats on the center aisle, $66.25 apiece, total about $146 w/taxes and charges on boraodwaybox. Pretty good. I expect to do even better on Phantom. Not much of a discount on Drowsy available, but it is $10 to 20 off; will have to see if the seating offered is worth that small discount or not.

Decisions, decisions. If I am going to drop one of these two, Drowsy or Phantom, and see Stomp, which one would you drop? I am tempted to see Phantom, would like a big show w/dramatic effects to balance out the more fun show like Wedding Singer.

Also, for Stomp, I assume I need to wait til closer to the date to get discount tickets. Right now there are no discounts available, at least not at broadwaybox. and when I try for full price tickets, I am getting 2nd row, so there are lots of seats available.

emd Jun 30th, 2006 07:25 AM

OK, I have tickets now for Phantom for Thurs. night ($66.25 a piece, orch. center row J, good seats!) and Wedding Singer Fri night (as above), and Drowsy Chap. on Sat night (full price, $110, Orch row J, middle of right side).

Still thinking about adding Stomp on Sunday (if I can get discount seats as it gets closer), 3 pm performance, and then heading to airport to depart on shuttle back to DC.

Should be a great theater weekend!

BTW, I somewhat regret cancelling my gold AmEx card, as I could have gotten priority seating for Drowsy w/it. I always forgot about the perks when I had the card. Many of the same reduced price offers on Broadwaybox are available through AmEx, and even more if you are Gold card.

AmEx, see:
http://broadway.yahoo.com/index.html

Birdie Jun 30th, 2006 08:24 AM

DRS was the first Broadway show I heard a very loud and deliberate "F" word in. Maybe I just haven't seen enough shows. I, too, think your daughter may enjoy some other shows more. I know my 16 yo son would have thought DRS hysterical, my 15 yo daughter probably would find it less humorous. It just has a different type of humor to it.

nytraveler Jun 30th, 2006 09:20 AM

Rent if she hasn;t seen it. I took my 12 year old nephew and his friend and they loved it.

HowardR Jun 30th, 2006 09:51 AM

You've selected an eclectic group of shows to see. The Drowsy Chaperone is very clever and great fun, while Phantom of the Opera is indeed a spectacle.

starrsville Jun 30th, 2006 09:57 AM

Wow. What a lucky 13 year old.

I took a 16 year old to Rent and was surprised to see how many preteens were there - and they LOVED it. nytraveler's suggestion is a good one.

leahinsc Jun 30th, 2006 11:02 AM

blue man group!!

emd Jun 30th, 2006 12:26 PM

She's not a Blue Man Group kind of person. But we have not made it to see Rent yet, and that one is definitely still on the list for next time.