Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Broadway Show option for Wed. matinee for older couple (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/broadway-show-option-for-wed-matinee-for-older-couple-955005/)

WorldGallery Oct 28th, 2012 06:46 PM

Broadway Show option for Wed. matinee for older couple

I need a suggestions for my in-laws (a couple in their 60's, first time to NYC) for Feb. 13th, Matinee. I just bought our Cinderella tickets for this day and I was counting on Wicked for them, but they do not have a matinee on Feb. 13th. I just read the reviews on their 2nd choose, Scandalous, and the reviews were not very good. Not sure what to do.

330east Oct 28th, 2012 06:50 PM

How about Charlie Chaplin. Older people would prob. like it . We did. The lead is fantastic.
Once is a nice story with nice music, dancing etc.
And then for a completely diff. experience there's Glengarry Glen Ross. I found it depressing but it's got a great cast.

maxima Oct 28th, 2012 07:20 PM

Chaplin got terrible reviews and may not last until feb.

Both Jersey Boys and Once are very popular so it may be hard to get tickets

Why don't you ask your in laws what they want to see and then look for tickets.

Centralparkgirl Oct 28th, 2012 07:39 PM

I saw Chaplin and enjoyed it. The staging is wonderful and the story quite moving.

What type of shows do they like?

How about Nice Work if You Can Get It? Good old fashioned musical.

october_fun Oct 28th, 2012 10:50 PM

We saw Nice Work if You Can Get It recently. As Centralparkgirl says, it is a good old fashioned musical. They always have predictable endings but its good fun for a couple of hours. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

HowardR Oct 29th, 2012 05:37 AM

Nice Work If You Cah Get It is great fun.
And, of course, you couldn't go wrong with Phantom of the Opera.
What reviews are you talking about for Scandalous? It hasn't officially opened yet, so the critics' reviews aren't in.

SueNYC Oct 29th, 2012 06:49 AM

(Your in-laws are not old.) I also liked Chaplin and the suggestions above are great . Let them look at some descriptions and see what they want to do.

HowardR Oct 29th, 2012 06:56 AM

I've a strong feeling that Chaplin will close before your February trip.

SusieQQ Oct 29th, 2012 07:09 AM

Let them pick....maybe they don't like musicals. I just saw Cyrano and it was great if you like classical theater.

Centralparkgirl Oct 29th, 2012 09:02 AM

Cyrano was great, but it's a limited run closing the end of Nov.

Virginia Wolff is amazing and running through 2/24.

Centralparkgirl Oct 29th, 2012 09:03 AM

(Your in-laws are not old.)

Sue, I was thinking the same thing!

WorldGallery Oct 29th, 2012 09:42 AM

the reviews I read were on Yelp at http://www.yelp.com/biz/scandalous-o...dway-manhattan

Thanks for the ideas. I am going to check into Nice Work if You can Get It. Sounds like something they would like.
I have already asked them but really, they do not know and are counting on me to find something. They do not go online and this is their first time to NYC. They have been to a few shows in New Orleans and have been to Phantom of the Opera already.
I didn't see Virginia Wolff on the calendar I was looking at.
Jersey Boys sounds like something they would like to but if it is hard to get tickets, maybe not.

HowardR Oct 29th, 2012 09:50 AM

Based on their limited theatrical experience and despite its rave reviews, I don't think Virginia Wolff would be a good choice for them.
Be careful of these "reviews" on line. Many, many times the people have axes to grind.
As I previously said Nice Work If You Can Get It is great fun and I think they'd enjoy it.
As for the "old" classification, please note that the OP said "older," not "old." So, my question is, "Older than what?"

HowardR Oct 29th, 2012 09:58 AM

PS: In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that seeing Kathy Lee Griffin's name associated with Scandalous didn't make me very enthusiastic about the show! After reading the comments on the above-mentioned website, it does seem that the posters had no axes to grind other than to warn others that the show was bad!
Still, my original comment still holds: Be careful of the rants on many of these types of websites.

NeoPatrick Oct 29th, 2012 10:00 AM

Well, I'm older than dirt, and I'll stand by Nice Work If You Can Get it as the perfect choice for anyone over 45 or so, and even for those younger if they appreciate old fashioned musicals.

330east Oct 29th, 2012 10:18 AM

On third thought for a great theater experience for children of all ages would be Lion King.

SueNYC Oct 29th, 2012 01:53 PM

I'm with Howard - Virginia Wolf is a tough show for someone expecting a musical.

NoFlyZone Oct 30th, 2012 05:08 AM

No one has yet mentioned Book of Mormon, which is reported to be fabulous. We're going in early December.

Elainee Oct 30th, 2012 06:02 AM

Getting tickets to Book Of Mormon is almost impossible for February except thru broker for $$$$$. Nice Work is great and probably available.

HowardR Oct 30th, 2012 07:01 AM

Tickets for Nice Work If You Can Get It are DEFINITELY available....and even with a discount, though you'll have to wait a month or so for any February offers. Then check broadwaybox.com and playbill.com.