Broadway Plaza Hotel

Apr 19th, 2000, 12:22 AM
Geo

Broadway Plaza Hotel

Has anyone heard of this hotel?

I booked it online for 5 nights (May 17-21) for a total of $771. It was listed as a 3 1/2 star hotel.

I called the hotel direct and requested a brochure. The desk clerk told me they had no brochures as they had just been open two weeks. I asked if they had a website. He said, "Not yet."

I was wondering how a hotel got a 3 1/2 star rating and had been open only 2 weeks.

I checked back with the hotel reservations site and the same reservation would now cost me $1200. I'm hoping I got a bargain (given New York City's hotel prices) but thought a native New Yorker or frequent visitor might have info RE the hotel. It's at 1155 Broadway. (Also, I asked the desk clerk if was listed as another property before Broadway Plaza. He stated that it had not been another hotel [property]).

Thanks for any info.

Geo

Apr 19th, 2000, 01:36 PM
Christina

I thought I'd read something about it but couldn't find it so must have been mistaken. Anyway, they do have a website, it's www.broadwayplazahotel.com, so if you know nothing that gives you an idea.
Star ratings don't have anything to do with how long something is open and they are arbitrary anyway in US and jst made up by whatever source you're viewing as the US doesn't have any official hotel star rating system; but they have to do with services and amenities, generally are correlated with "niceness", but have nothing to do with length of time in business. Unless it's a dump, that's a pretty good rate for a decent hotel in a good location in midtown Manhattan. However, sometimes booking sites give good deals when a hotel has just opened because it's not really finished yet, so be prepared (eg, wiring showing, noise and dust from ongoing renovations, perhaps plumbing or heating problems, even possibly elevator problems).

Apr 19th, 2000, 01:48 PM
howard

Who gave it the 3 1/2 stars?

Apr 19th, 2000, 07:21 PM
Patrick

What are you doing in New York? If you are there for the theatre and think that the name "Broadway" in the hotel title has anything to do with Broadway theatre location, forget it. It is at 27th Street, 19 to 23 blocks from the majority of the Broadway theatres. I'm a walker myself, but I would think you'd want to take a bus or taxi back to the hotel after doing most theatre. I love that star rating, especially the half star. I think I'll open my own hotel and say it has a five star rating. Who can disagree with me, when there is no official star rating system in the US. The hotel may be lovely, however, I really don't know.

Apr 19th, 2000, 11:24 PM
Geo

Thanks for the response.

Special thanks to Christina. I went to the website. It looks great to me even if I had paid more.

Patrick, I made my first trip to NYC last summer. Stayed in Greenwich Village. Caught the D or F train to Times Square (actually other areas too). A super way to get from here to there. I also am a walker. My first day I walked from my hotel in the village to Central Park. What a feeling! I saw so many places I had seen in movies, tv, etc. over the years that I was overwhelmed.

I too don't understand the ratings system - but a 3 1/2 star hotel in NY at that price sounded great. It was close to what I would be paying at a one star hotel with a shared bath.

Thanks again.

Geo

Apr 20th, 2000, 07:29 AM
TW

Geo,
I think this hotel is in a great location. Its just above Chelsea/Flatiron district. Tons of great restaurants, shops, galleries. It's just off Madison Square Park (not to be confused w/ Madison Sq Garden), which is undergoing a sort of Rennaisance. Its surrounded by great architecture (Flatiron Bldg, NY Life Bldg.)and lots of new restaurants. May is still cool enough that I think a walk to the Times Sq. and theater district is not out of the question, but the bus will take only a few minutes to get there, as well as to the Village and other interesting neighborhoods.

Sounds to me like you got a great bargain Geo.
Sounds to me like you definitely

Apr 30th, 2000, 05:04 PM
P&G

Dear Geo,
You asked the same question that we were going to ask. We are making our first trip to NYC in July. Hotel Discounts listed the hotel for $115/night and with 3 1/2 stars. we have been a little afraid because the two didn't seem to go together well, but it seemed to look OK location wise judging by the map. We are also condidering Hotel Beacon because of its reviews on this sight. Please let us know how your experience goes. Best ways to tour the city will also be appreciated.

Jun 18th, 2000, 01:38 AM
Geo

For P & G,

I definitely would NOT consider this a 3 1/2 star hotel.

That said, it's not a bad hotel - much better than the Washington Square we stayed at last year, and everybody raves about. I thought it was a dump!

The neighborhood is probably the main concern. As someone mentioned in a post - it is an area undergoing change. You might feel a little uncomfortable late night walking within two blocks of the hotel. (It's an area where they roll down the metal coverings over the glass windows.) But walking just two blocks in any direction will have you in very comfortable surroundings. Chelsea area is just south and a little west. Subway stop one block north takes you to the Herald Square stop (Macy's) and you can transfer to variety of trains. (Also, found the 7 day Metro card for use on subways and busses was great. - $17 for one week - I must have used $80 - $100 worth of individual rides.) For late night, taxis are easy to find and price is good (although I've heard that some cities are adding "surcharge" because of gasoline prices.)

Hotel itself was very comfortable - large bathroom, very friendly staff. Walked by Hotel Beacon - not bad. Don't know what to advise. I was very pleased with the price we got at Broadway Plaza - but it was not a 3 1/2 star hotel.

Geo

Jun 19th, 2000, 10:22 AM
Caitlin

I would not worry about the location--it is perfectly fine. Incidentally, I live in Manhattan, and in every neighborhood, the majority of the stores--from designer boutiques to liquor stores, roll down metal covers to cover their windows at night. It's a reflection of city life (better safe than sorry), not of the safety of a neighborhood.

Search this Thread